Dye Packs - Please Let Us Preview Colors

Pepper.3901

There wasn't much 'useful' in my 5th Birthday gifts, but one of the most annoying is the fact that dyes are not previewable before choosing a 'pack' out of several different packs and listed dyes.

It's hard to try to find the colors, most of which are either not presented at all or are not the same as in the game.

Please, allow us to preview colors in all future dye packs and releases.

[&AgGdQgEA] Wiki shows no shades at all

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exuberant_Dye_Kit

If you dig you can find some of the shades, but again, they don't look the same as they do in the game.

As you stated, you can get the full list with prices on the wiki. You can preview them in game by searching them on the TP, or in the wardrobe (there's a show locked dyes option).

The whole process still is a hassle though, and some QoL wouldn't be a waste. Namely :

• Find a way to list the whole set of dyes in a birthday dyes kit
  • Have a "sort by kit" option in the dye panels of the wardrobe, to see what dye comes from where.

I don't think he's talking about previewing the colors so much as knowing which ones you already have. There needs to be a way to know, for example, "how many exclusive dyes do I need from Glint's kit?" Right now, you can easily buy a kit which you can't use, and everything in it is account bound, so you can't sell it, either.I chose a kit for which I had all the colors (even though I have never bought that kit before). I had to go through support to get it replaced. (Which you would think they would want to prevent, since it costs them money for support.)

@Daddicus.6128 said:I don't think he's talking about previewing the colors so much as knowing which ones you already have. There needs to be a way to know, for example, "how many exclusive dyes do I need from Glint's kit?" Right now, you can easily buy a kit which you can't use, and everything in it is account bound, so you can't sell it, either.I chose a kit for which I had all the colors (even though I have never bought that kit before). I had to go through support to get it replaced. (Which you would think they would want to prevent, since it costs them money for support.)

There's an app on the Wiki that allows you to see which dyes from a kit you already have unlocked. It's quite useful.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:I don't think he's talking about previewing the colors so much as knowing which ones you already have. There needs to be a way to know, for example, "how many exclusive dyes do I need from Glint's kit?" Right now, you can easily buy a kit which you can't use, and everything in it is account bound, so you can't sell it, either.I chose a kit for which I had all the colors (even though I have never bought that kit before). I had to go through support to get it replaced. (Which you would think they would want to prevent, since it costs them money for support.)

There's an app on the Wiki that allows you to see which dyes from a kit you already have unlocked. It's quite useful.

Good luck.

Do you know where it can be found?

@Daddicus.6128 said:

Good luck.

Do you know where it can be found?

Yes, right below the lists of Dye Pack contents. For instance, right below this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exuberant_Dye_Kit#Available_dyes

While not exactly a fix for your troubles, I use GW2efficiency to narrow down what dyes to get. You can select from the option to show only locked dyes you're missing and you can filter further by sets. It also show prices if you want to get the more expensive ones first. Like with my most recent Jubilant rewarded, I saw Phtalo Blue was a nice dark blue shade, cost almost 400g, it was part of 'Blue Shift Dye Kit', went back in game and knew what to select.

All you need to do is use the option to show locked dyes and then sort your hues in your dye panel by set. Then scroll to the bottom, all your locked ones will be down there and sorted in groups by set. You can preview them on your gear's channels, and right click them to see the TP price. The wiki contains lists of the contents of the dye packs, so does Dulfy -- I keep a Word document listing my locked dyes by set so I can eyeball them fast, but really all I truly need is the dye panel sort.

• 7 months later...

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The only reason you can't see the colors on the wiki is that the API was temporarily disabled. (The developer "oopsed" earlier today.) It will get fixed as soon as he can.

This is hardly temporary,

The APIs on all information websites for GW2 have a disclaimer that the APIs still are not fixed.

Again, not temporary.

I agree with that. While options do indeed exist to find out and preview all dyes in the game -- they can be a bit of a hassle at times. This certainly will be a nice QoL change I would love to see and I dont think it will be hard to implement since we have the feature already in game for other types of loot.

@atheria.2837 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The only reason you can't see the colors on the wiki is that the API was temporarily disabled. (The developer "oopsed" earlier today.) It will get fixed as soon as he can.

This is hardly temporary,Actually, the issue (above) reported in September was temporary.

The APIs on all information websites for GW2 have a disclaimer that the APIs still are not fixed.Some APIs aren't working; the one reported in the original post of this thread is okay now. In particular, the colors are showing at:

For example, Bloodstone Violet (one of the colors in the linked Exuberant Dye Kit) is color #1457 and can be seen in the API athttps://api.guildwars2.com/v2/colors/1457

Again, not temporary.

So again, temporary.

And in fact, some of the API that are referenced by e.g. GW2 Efficiency have been fixed (just a lot more slowly than one would hope).And even if that weren't the case, "temporary" can mean a week or a year.

It's reasonable to complain (as many have) that ANet has been slow to address API support. There's no need to claim that something is broken when it's easy enough to check that it's working.

Archived