Can anyone recommend a good, survivable, power build for open-world PvE?

Lord Krilik.3692

I don't want to switch to condi because all my trinkets are ascended berzerker.

I'm absolutely fed up of dieing every 5 minutes in the LW season 3 content. NEVER in all my years playing guild wars 2 have I died so often and honestly, it's not fun, it's not even an exciting challenge, it's simply frustrating and I'm done with it. Probably a lot of the issue is that Im playing on a laptop now and don't have the best mouse (I played with desktop previously and had a mouse with my skills mapped to the side buttons, not to mention it was a good gaming mouse with great tracking).

My armor is valkyrie and im using staff/shortbow, with daredevil, trickery and critical strikes.

So what would be a useful stat spread/build I could use with berzerker trinkets? I just want to enjoy the content without repairing my armour every 5 minutes and running back, to the same spot, over... and over... and over.... and over...

If you play solo content, run this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsaVn8lCFOhFmCmOBsPhFqiqLBCgDYO77+y3LE+gSA-jVCEQBbUJIAOCA7b/BHq8jAPAADcCAewhAwd6D8n6PBAOAOv5N/8Anf+5nf+5d95nf+5nf+5nf+5lCQ0lRA-w

If you want to play group event, run this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWVn8lCFOhFmCmOBsPhFqiqLBCgDw7C+gSYO77+xH-jVCEQBP4QAQgLAg70FsRlgA4IA4Qlf7b/BD8AA8n6PBAOAO/8M/8Anf+5nf+5d95nf+5nf+5nf+5lCQ0lRA-w

Edit#1: Just to be clear, the most unkillable teef build is the one that run full soldier with staff and perma evasion, but to me is definitely not funny. Death is a part of this game too, deal with it (:Edit#2: Ofc you can swap marauder trinkets for the zerk one, I just linked you my 2 pve build (:

I know it's not appreciated by many but did you ever consider a high burst damage built? I have lots of fun solo with my Daredevil Staff/double Pistol. You don't have to be use the traits that make you fragile, unless you want to play with a little bit more stress and high risk/reward ratio. In open world PvE, that 11,645 health is more than enough if you trait for regeneration. Right now, you rarely hit critically, but that's what really makes thief strong.

Just for a real life example. That sniper North of the Eastwatch Waypoint in Auric Basin [&BGwIAAA=]. When you port there and walk North to farm wood from the tree that's usually there. How long does it take you to kill him? With my build it takes 3 seconds. How much time do you give him to aim and shoot at you? Most mobs die within less than 3 seconds using Unload from P/P with a burst build. You don't even have to step on their toes, so you won't get hit at all.

If you have access to the berserker armor, try this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaWl8MhSnYjTwwJw/ELgFlXAsiNwWIuW92cvP8NPA-jhRBABPcKAwTfwV7PK/oU9HAeCAmpEUUAPF-e

If I'm lazy and relaxed, I use food that heals me when I land a critical hit, which happens quite often (both that I'm lazy and that I hit critical). You cannot die with this build in open world PvE unless you are really careless. If you are interested, I'll explain in more detail why I picked those traits and skills, but it's basically a tweaked meta power Daredevil. Those meta build writers ignore pistols though and don't care much about open world PvE.

I use a mostly zerker life steal build I like. The most important parts are the Invigorating Precision trait in critical strikes and Signet of Malice. I use double pistols and sword/pistol. You can switch sword/pistol to Staff for your short range attacks if you like. Its mostly zerker because I like my life to be above 14000 and my crit strike chance around 40%. So you can make those numbers with accessories. I have been testing with more toughness recently, but that is more of a personal preference. This build is weak to knockdowns though. If you are not doing damage you are dying. Pistol whip and unload are the main damage/life steal weapon skills. The autoattack for staff if you prefer it. This is a basic outline of the build, I dont have all the exact information on my right now for accessories. gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQRAqa8an8MBdPh9OBWmCsPhldCbLAUbOQzHwI4F0bJUnuCA-jBRBQBGc/BAcSAowTAgSq/AA-e

I hate dying.

A few general ideas to consider.

-Keep an eye out for some of the healing finishers.
-Shadow Refuge is a nice reset button and you can whirl finish it for Leaching Bolts.
-Consider Unhindered Combatant over Bound as rbbthole said in his solo build. I know its a massive DPS loss...but with Unhindered, you have so much mobility you are hard to kill.
-When in doubt, swap to short bow and spam Disabling Shot. Consider this additional dodges.-If things are really hot, swap to short bow and Infiltrator's Arrow to safety.-Remember to save Signet of Agility for when you are out of dodges. Then pop it. You have 5 dodges.-If staff - Blind everything before you engage with the 4th Skill. Dust Strike. Some mean things I just keep them blind the whole fight. Watch for the 'Miss' UI to appear and re-blind.-Try to use your Heal - Channeled Vigor when you have Full Endurance. Based on that I us https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Stamina in my staff. You can also pop Signet of Agility before you heal.-When engaging, open with Shortbow Choking Gas - then Blast finish it with Cluster Bomb once. This applies AoE Weakness which drastically reduces the enemies damage output. Reapply as needed.

Best luck.

This is what I've been playing in HoT.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWVn8lCFOhdmCePB0PhFcCzLLcF2BbHgAQDaOCOB7gA-jVSBQBA4BAYw9HWwRAIjK/MpSQNcBAOwhAIhq/kPNBBAOACzPPw5nf+5nfeXf+5nf+5nf+5nfepAEdZE-w

Critical strikes Invigorating Precision is pretty strong for some constant healing. If I'm comfortable, I'll switch that to No quarter.

Time to get that gaming mouse again. =)

Have fun.

@TAO.6429 Your build is very close to the one that Krilik keeps dying with. You guys try to use thief as tank, but most enemies cannot be out-tanked. It pains me to see so much damage potential wasted ^^

I simply like playing fast and agile and dynamic. For a tank, I think Mesmer is better suited. I couldn't stand levelling mine because everything was so slow.

Forget tanky gear, that's absolutely bad. You won't kill mobs fast and you will not take that many more hits. So overall it's a bad decision.

Here is what you do:You go full assassin gear, daredevil, deadly arts, critical strike. For utility take signet with precision, take bandits defence for block and stunbreak.With mug your steal heals you quite a lot. With assassin gear and the precision signet you have way better crit chance. Together with invigorating precision trait in critical strike. You heal yourself pretty damn good.

As healing skill use the signet heal or the new daredevil heal.

@Opopanax.1803 said:Cadacaus is a bad fight. The only other fight that rivals it is the HoT finale with all the bugs.

What he said. Don't balance your gear around that. No other Open world PvE is that hard. I get by fine with a glass cannon p/p + staff build, and my skills are mediocre at best. P/P seems to work better for me than SB too, so that might be worth a try.

Archived