Should Anet emergency revert Might makes right?

Master Ketsu.4569

I voted no, because 1) the skill deserved a nerf in general and 2) I'd like to collect more feedback playing with the new trait before I form a sound opinion.

I however wholeheartedly second the idea of skill splitting in game modes. In WvW, Might Makes Right was definitely stupid, especially with the overpowered gear and food that are available there (bowl of orrian truffle and meat stew says hello), but in PvP it was actually nearly acceptable. In PvE, well it did not hurt anyone, and anyway a full power zerk warrior kills things so fast that it was not even needed. IMHO, the requirements and starting points for PvE, PvP and WvW are too contradictory to be reconciled in a unified way.

The balance team does not have it easy though. In a non-PvE context, the warrior is too weak without Defense, cannot leverage its potential without Discipline, but these problems don't stem as much from the warrior (except for Fast Hands which is game-changing) as from the other classes and their own unbalanced features. Their attempt to form might-based synergies between Strength and Spellbreaker to offer a sustain substitution to Defense was definitely commendable, but alas not enough.

PvP Perspective: I'd say at least 3 or 4. I don't know what wvw was like, but in spvp, Strength builds were already off-meta. The meta (def disc SB) is just a boring build, and I had taken up str def SB to do some more damage, so this change was particularly painful for me. This was my impression of the warrior builds pre-patch:

Meta: Boring, little damage but survivable, and a good all around 1v1er. Strongest warrior build for tournaments.Core war: Similar but fun, more damage. Not as survivable vs condi. better vs power.Str Def SB: In between the two builds. Could be built to go farther either way. Lot of damage, and could often carry ranked better, but not as safe in tornaments.Str Disc SB: A shaky build. Good damage, but lacking adrenal health, passive stab, and stance synergy in general.

What we needed: Nothing really. To me it seemed like warrior was in an good spot balance-wise. Not as good as Firebrand, Scourge, Mirage. Evenish footing with Druid, Holo, and Thief. Solid build diversity.

What we got: Nerf to all builds other than the meta. -_-

Now this was obviously a powerful trait for sustain and might synergy, but that's kind of what the Strength line needed. Maybe they thought the reckless dodge buff would be stronger than it was. They also nerfed Strength's damage modifier though, and made it reliant on might, so it really seems like they didn't consider pvp at all. I'd like to know their reasoning if they have any.

@Drakhar.1389 said:PvP Perspective: I'd say at least 3 or 4. I don't know what wvw was like, but in spvp, Strength builds were already off-meta. The meta (def disc SB) is just a boring build, and I had taken up str def SB to do some more damage, so this change was particularly painful for me. This was my impression of the warrior builds pre-patch:

Meta: Boring, little damage but survivable, and a good all around 1v1er. Strongest warrior build for tournaments.Core war: Similar but fun, more damage. Not as survivable vs condi. better vs power.Str Def SB: In between the two builds. Could be built to go farther either way. Lot of damage, and could often carry ranked better, but not as safe in tornaments.Str Disc SB: A shaky build. Good damage, but lacking adrenal health, passive stab, and stance synergy in general.

What we needed: Nothing really. To me it seemed like warrior was in an good spot balance-wise. Not as good as Firebrand, Scourge, Mirage. Evenish footing with Druid, Holo, and Thief. Solid build diversity.

What we got: Nerf to all builds other than the meta. -_-

Now this was obviously a powerful trait for sustain and might synergy, but that's kind of what the Strength line needed. Maybe they thought the reckless dodge buff would be stronger than it was. They also nerfed Strength's damage modifier though, and made it reliant on might, so it really seems like they didn't consider pvp at all. I'd like to know their reasoning if they have any.

Great post. I liked your insight into the different spellbreaker builds and I agree, you're spot on. I hope devs listen to this experienced player.

Archived