New player experience with WvW

Joshua.5098

I bought the game ages ago but never went past level 40. Bored during the new years, tried it out again. I remember my first experience, years ago, with WvW was incredibly short. I ran out to a fort, was murdered by veteran mobs, never played again. Went into WvW this time, ran blindly out towards the big fortress, and something happened. A China man with a green arrow over his head ran past me and invited me to his party with about 40 people trailing him very tightly. I got in, followed the mob. They only spoke Chinese mostly, but the guy knew enough English to say commands. He was also really good about picking up stragglers. I followed this guy as a tree-man Guardian for like 3 hours and custom tailored my kit to make sure I could always jump to him and shield him and revive him and we stomped for the entire time. I got tons of experience, and items, and neat stuff I'd never seen before. Then the guy takes off because "I need to busy irl".

Gold Arrow man is around at the time and he's not as good. Never waits for people to catch up. Does very stupid and unproductive stuff that doesn't capture forts or kill people. Does stupid things like run way far away from any of our territory to screw with Red v. Blue fights, calls it trolling. I try to find another group on the other maps and there just isn't one. For the next hour or two I'm sort of meandering about looking for another arrow on the map of any of the mist worlds. None to be found.

I use one of my Level 80 boosts to make an engineer, try guesting into two different worlds, checked out all the mist fields looking for another china man and his peasant army and there just wasn't any. In World of Warcraft, you just press a button to enter a battlefield. It's usually hit or miss and GW2's battlefield combat is so much better than WoW's, but the opposite problem is that I can't find any china man and I don't want to join a guild because I'm antisocial.

Please fix your china man finding system.

@"Joshua.5098" said:I bought the game ages ago but never went past level 40. Bored during the new years, tried it out again. I remember my first experience, years ago, with WvW was incredibly short. I ran out to a fort, was murdered by veteran mobs, never played again. Went into WvW this time, ran blindly out towards the big fortress, and something happened. A China man with a green arrow over his head ran past me and invited me to his party with about 40 people trailing him very tightly. I got in, followed the mob. They only spoke Chinese mostly, but the guy knew enough English to say commands. He was also really good about picking up stragglers. I followed this guy as a tree-man Guardian for like 3 hours and custom tailored my kit to make sure I could always jump to him and shield him and revive him and we stomped for the entire time. I got tons of experience, and items, and neat stuff I'd never seen before. Then the guy takes off because "I need to busy irl".

Gold Arrow man is around at the time and he's not as good. Never waits for people to catch up. Does very stupid and unproductive stuff that doesn't capture forts or kill people. Does stupid things like run way far away from any of our territory to screw with Red v. Blue fights, calls it trolling. I try to find another group on the other maps and there just isn't one. For the next hour or two I'm sort of meandering about looking for another arrow on the map of any of the mist worlds. None to be found.

I use one of my Level 80 boosts to make an engineer, try guesting into two different worlds, checked out all the mist fields looking for another china man and his peasant army and there just wasn't any. In World of Warcraft, you just press a button to enter a battlefield. It's usually hit or miss and GW2's battlefield combat is so much better than WoW's, but the opposite problem is that I can't find any china man and I don't want to join a guild because I'm antisocial.

Glad you had a part of a good experience.

As far as being in a guild, there are some that will work with you to find good 'arrows' and many have those good arrows. Most want you to be flexible to fill a role, and work with them, which you seemed to inherently do when you joined your first 'arrow'.

One of our guild mates only types, listens in teamspeak so he is aware of movements coming. Guilds can help there but as some are into you speaking, needless to say they aren't all for you.

If your server uses Teamspeak or Discord being in channel is normally enough. Most don't really care if you speak. That can help you find available arrows.

@"Joshua.5098" said:I bought the game ages ago but never went past level 40. Bored during the new years, tried it out again. I remember my first experience, years ago, with WvW was incredibly short. I ran out to a fort, was murdered by veteran mobs, never played again. Went into WvW this time, ran blindly out towards the big fortress, and something happened. A China man with a green arrow over his head ran past me and invited me to his party with about 40 people trailing him very tightly. I got in, followed the mob. They only spoke Chinese mostly, but the guy knew enough English to say commands. He was also really good about picking up stragglers. I followed this guy as a tree-man Guardian for like 3 hours and custom tailored my kit to make sure I could always jump to him and shield him and revive him and we stomped for the entire time. I got tons of experience, and items, and neat stuff I'd never seen before. Then the guy takes off because "I need to busy irl".

10/10 for descriptive writing.The LFG system in WVW doesn't seem to be used much I think - not that I have seen.I would suggest finding a WvW guild on forums which is relevant for your server.

Archived