Most versatile profession in GW2?

Per definition it has to be Ranger simply due to how radically different both Soulbeast and Druid (the latter in particular) is over baseline Ranger.

Honorable mention goes to Mesmer though. Not the class you'd expect to be tanking raids based on theme and appearance, lol.

Ranger/druid... just based on experiences to date. I have a character of every class and while the ranger isn't perfect for every situation, the class is very adaptable to different situations.Just yesterday I teamed up with another ranger in a chance encounter in Malchor's Leap and we took on the champion that guards one of the Hero Points... just the two of us and our pets. I've previously taken on that champion with other characters and teams of four and five and gotten our butts kicked, but the combination of two ranger class characters with their pets made it almost easy.

If we speak of the most versatile class without the need to swap builds/gear/pets for different situations, then I'd say Elementalist (any build) and Firebrand (Guardian) are probably the most versatile in that regard. Ele can swap between four different elements offering a variety of skills from healing, to defense, to damage, to CC. While Firebrand has the tomes which cover a variety of damage, utility and healing options on top of your normal weapon/utility skills.

Druid as healer in high tier fractals or raids and as condition or power dd in open world content or even spvp

Soulbeast as very decent condition dd in raids and fractals or even open world content, or as power sniper in spvp or wvw roaming

And even core ranger is absolutely fine when it comes to condition dmg in raids/fractals/open world content.

Also, ranger has a very good sustain, easy and forgivable rotation, overall a pretty nice class to enjoy all sorts of content.

In terms of versatility, the classes that have it the best (the ones that have top builds with multiple varieties over multiple game modes) are probably Ranger (Elites Druid and Soulbeast offer some good options and are desirable if not outright required in High end PvE and both types of PvP content), Guardian (Viable in all game content and able, once again, to offer a variety of roles including support and condi or power DPS, and tends to be the best balanced of all the classes if not necessarily OP), and as folks said Mesmer (which is absolutely vital in high end PvE, and provides some strong builds for both WvW and sPvP as well.)

Most of the other classes suffer in one game mode or another, or don't really offer variety in play style... Thief can be viable in high end PvE, or top tier PvP but only has a small number of viable play types, and all of them are damage focused, for instance.

Archived