D/P or S/D?

Ammazzo.7351

As long as Firebrand and Spellbreaker are around then S/D will be more reliable due to Boonstrip and Unblockables.Doesn't mean S/D is necessarily better than D/P, with D/P you can do your "Thief" rotations better (stealth, decap, +1), but in this current Meta things are too stupid and dangerous so D/P Thief can no longer afford to not be able to 1v1 which S/D can.D/P has better and more useful burst, meaning for +1, but like I said, with current Meta it is pretty high chance that your burst will be eaten by some random Block, Barrier or simply instantly overhealed.S/D is now a bit more common than D/P, but D/P Thief will delete S/D Thief, so you might wanna swap to D/P if you see that enemy has Two Thieves in order to get easier decaps and to have easier time killing them.

All in all, both sets are very good at something essential, S/D being bit more reliable for the time being. You can play them both, but you have to know what you're doing and especially what are you going to do.

@"Alatar.7364" said:As long as Firebrand and Spellbreaker are around then S/D will be more reliable due to Boonstrip and Unblockables.Doesn't mean S/D is necessarily better than D/P, with D/P you can do your "Thief" rotations better (stealth, decap, +1), but in this current Meta things are too stupid and dangerous so D/P Thief can no longer afford to not be able to 1v1 which S/D can.D/P has better and more useful burst, meaning for +1, but like I said, with current Meta it is pretty high chance that your burst will be eaten by some random Block, Barrier or simply instantly overhealed.S/D is now a bit more common than D/P, but D/P Thief will delete S/D Thief, so you might wanna swap to D/P if you see that enemy has Two Thieves in order to get easier decaps and to have easier time killing them.

All in all, both sets are very good at something essential, S/D being bit more reliable for the time being. You can play them both, but you have to know what you're doing and especially what are you going to do.

Very nice post. D/P isn't bad but S/D matches better with the current meta. If some of the meta leaders get some nerfs then D/P will swing quite hard back into power and be very strong.

@"Tinnel.4369" said:Stealth aside, S/D does "Thief" rotations as good or better really. You still have your mobility and in this meta you might not +1 as quick, but you have much more sustain and safe stomp through CnD still. I do miss the stealth some, but core S/D just too good right now.

The Thief rotations take a huge hit on effectiveness with the lack of stealth, enemies can see where the Thief is going and can rotate more effectively to shutdown the Thief rotations more easily.

Stealth jukes are huge for effective Thief rotations.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@"Tinnel.4369" said:Stealth aside, S/D does "Thief" rotations as good or better really. You still have your mobility and in this meta you might not +1 as quick, but you have much more sustain and safe stomp through CnD still. I do miss the stealth some, but core S/D just too good right now.

The Thief rotations take a huge hit on effectiveness with the lack of stealth, enemies can see where the Thief is going and can rotate more effectively to shutdown the Thief rotations more easily.

I suppose, but you're a more effective skirmisher, at my skill level anyhow. If they're dead they haven't shutdown anything and only a couple can keep up with you backtracking on them.

Everyone's mileage will differ based on play style of course, but the fact remains all you've really lost is stealth and gained some pretty substantial sustain.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

@Tinnel.4369 said:Stealth aside, S/D does "Thief" rotations as good or better really. You still have your mobility and in this meta you might not +1 as quick, but you have much more sustain and safe stomp through CnD still. I do miss the stealth some, but core S/D just too good right now.

I suppose, but you're a more effective skirmisher, at my skill level anyhow. If they're dead they haven't shutdown anything and only a couple can keep up with you backtracking on them.

Everyone's mileage will differ based on play style of course, but the fact remains all you've really lost is stealth and gained some pretty substantial sustain.

But that pushes to a different role and still means that the Thief rotations aren’t as effective compared to D/Ps. Yes it is stronger sustain but at the sacrifice to better effectiveness at the role of recapped/+1

I guess I'm not wrapping my head around your whole argument. You're still a capable 1v1 and +1, albeit a little slower? However, if you're a dead D/P cause of the meta, you're useless. In practice, this may be irrelevant for the skilled D/P player. Again, at my skill level I find I'm much more likely to stay in and win a fight S/D than D/P last season and this.

@Tinnel.4369 said:I guess I'm not wrapping my head around your whole argument. You're still a capable 1v1 and +1, albeit a little slower? However, if you're a dead D/P cause of the meta, you're useless. In practice, this may be irrelevant for the skilled D/P player. Again, at my skill level I find I'm much more likely to stay in and win a fight S/D than D/P last season and this.

It’s not the speed of the matter it’s the fact the role players are using to fill with S/D loses effectiveness at decapping which one of Thief’s biggest roles Stealth allows good Thieves to deny Opponents information on where the Thief is rotating to, S/D can be stopped from effectively decapping and +1’ing because the Enemy can more easily know where the thief is at almost all the time, and this is from playing both D/P and S/D in High Plat/Legendary. You get better team fight sustain but lose out on why D/P was/is Used in High Tier play, recently it has fallen out of favor mainly to the over abundance of FBs and Scourges.

Again I was only correcting your statement of saying S/D is just as effective if not better at rotating than D/P, it’s a fact that it doesn’t, S/D is better at fights than D/P thats for sure, but not better or close to as good at rotating.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Tinnel.4369 said:I guess I'm not wrapping my head around your whole argument. You're still a capable 1v1 and +1, albeit a little slower? However, if you're a dead D/P cause of the meta, you're useless. In practice, this may be irrelevant for the skilled D/P player. Again, at my skill level I find I'm much more likely to stay in and win a fight S/D than D/P last season and this.

It’s not the speed of the matter it’s the fact the role players are using to fill with S/D loses effectiveness at decapping which one of Thief’s biggest roles Stealth allows good Thieves to deny Opponents information on where the Thief is rotating to, S/D can be stopped from effectively decapping and +1’ing because the Enemy can more easily know where the thief is at almost all the time, and this is from playing both D/P and S/D in High Plat/Legendary. You get better team fight sustain but lose out on why D/P was/is Used in High Tier play, recently it has fallen out of favor mainly to the over abundance of FBs and Scourges.

Again I was only correcting your statement of saying S/D is just as effective if not better at rotating than D/P, it’s a fact that it doesn’t, S/D is better at fights than D/P thats for sure, but not better or close to as good at rotating.

Gotcha!

@"Alatar.7364" said:As long as Firebrand and Spellbreaker are around then S/D will be more reliable due to Boonstrip and Unblockables.Doesn't mean S/D is necessarily better than D/P, with D/P you can do your "Thief" rotations better (stealth, decap, +1), but in this current Meta things are too stupid and dangerous so D/P Thief can no longer afford to not be able to 1v1 which S/D can.D/P has better and more useful burst, meaning for +1, but like I said, with current Meta it is pretty high chance that your burst will be eaten by some random Block, Barrier or simply instantly overhealed.S/D is now a bit more common than D/P, but D/P Thief will delete S/D Thief, so you might wanna swap to D/P if you see that enemy has Two Thieves in order to get easier decaps and to have easier time killing them.

The truest thing I've ever heard. I swap out weap sets now depending on who i'll be facing specifically in each match.

Archived