So no free Server transfers anymore

I deleted all my characters on my account in order to use the free server transfer. Done so i found out i can't transfer for free. So i contacted support. Their answer:

GM xxx (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jan 15, 13:19 PST

Hey xxx,

Beta characters have already been deleted from your account and deleting them has nothing to do with server transfers. In order to transfer with out paying gems you will have to delete all of your current characters on your account. Server transfers are a paid service. Please note that if you delete any characters from your account in order to transfer we will not be able to restore them back to your account since this is not an intended way for players to transfer.Regards,

further contant:

Hello xxx,

I'm not sure if you or me is wrong. But currently am i sitting on a account without any characters. But still shall i pay Gems in order to transfer. And as it is stated allready and i got told from other support members are you having trouble removing those Beta characters. As my account is cleaned of any "visible" characters, but i'm not able to transfer for free can there only be the hidden Beta characters from the Path of Fire demo.Please remove this character fully so i don't have to bother support again for a server transfer.

Regards,

and the answer upon this:

Jan 18, 09:23 PST

Hello xxx,

We will be unable to provided a server transfer for we are not here to circumvent the system. Any further responses about the issue maybe closed without responseRegards,

Thanks Anet for not telling that you completly remove free server transfers on wiping all characters. I for sure haven't deleted all my characters to then still throw money at you.Names changed to xxx.

My two cents: As i find it as some sort of betrayal to offer something that you don't offer, but still tell you do am i leaving GW2.I'll not throw my money at a company that betrayes it's community in such ways.Nice lie of free server transfers.

Bye.

Unfortunately, it seems like you were in touch with someone who either misunderstood your request or was just misinformed. Some beta characters are definitely still showing up on certain accounts (mine is one of those such accounts), and those characters are definitely keeping those people from being able to get the free transfer after deleting characters. Do as Eros suggested above and see if the API is still showing a beta character on your account. If it's there, I'd close out that ticket and then start a new one, clearly explaining that you have a beta character still showing up on the API and that you're unable to make a free server transfer because of it. If they still don't understand the issue at hand, you can ask for your ticket to be escalated to a higher up.

Well, thanks for the responses but they keep telling me that i am abusing the paid system with a solution they offered themselves O.ohttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World-Accounts without active charactersThe transfer fee is waived for accounts without any active characters. This allows players just starting out to change to another world that is not full. You also can transfer without cost if you delete all your existing characters. The next time you log on without any characters, you will be prompted to choose a new home world.

And well, since it is abuse to use this system this way instead of paying them (I still think i overpaid them for 3 Elite Specs - Yes i am talking of you PoF)do i prefer to just leave instead of giving such greedyness ground to grow.

@"Sabre.8251" said:Well, thanks for the responses but they keep telling me that i am abusing the paid system with a solution they offered themselves O.ohttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World-Accounts without active charactersThe transfer fee is waived for accounts without any active characters. This allows players just starting out to change to another world that is not full. You also can transfer without cost if you delete all your existing characters. The next time you log on without any characters, you will be prompted to choose a new home world.

And well, since it is abuse to use this system this way instead of paying them (I still think i overpaid them for 3 Elite Specs - Yes i am talking of you PoF)do i prefer to just leave instead of giving such greedyness ground to grow.

Keep pushing that you've got a bugged beta character that won't delete. Ask to speak with someone else.

That makes zero sense. Do they have the interns working as the "support"?They can easily check what you have on your account. In fact, I had grabbed a wrong skin and salvaged it and the fellow knew exactly what I received from the salvage to toss out before I could get a refund.Send them a link to the wiki page, and to gw2 efficiency of your "characters". You can't abuse a service if it is in their policy.

@"Nick Lentz.6982" said:That makes zero sense. Do they have the interns working as the "support"?They can easily check what you have on your account. In fact, I had grabbed a wrong skin and salvaged it and the fellow knew exactly what I received from the salvage to toss out before I could get a refund.Send them a link to the wiki page, and to gw2 efficiency of your "characters". You can't abuse a service if it is in their policy.

What likely happened was the OP made a beta character. When they wiped the beta characters not all got removed, or at least not removed enough to allow for free transfers if all characters on the live server are removed. It would also affect the OP's ability to use the name of any of the "non-removed" beta characters.

And sometimes when certain things happen to a minority of players, it can be hard to get evidence to prove that you are indeed one of the few affected.

Hey there,i did send that support member the exact same link and also copied in detail the text passage about free server transfer with character free accounts.The problem still is that i get called abusing their system:

Jan 18, 12:51 PST

Hello xxx,

We would like to clarify on some information you have researched.

The waived server transfer is only meant for "players just starting out" and as i have said earlier we are not here to circumvent the system. Continued abuse of the waive server transfer can be taken as exploiting the system since server transfers are a paid service and require Gems.

Any further responses about the issue maybe closed without response.

I was calling their support for a mistake they made and get called to abuse their system.So if that's the way to go for this company to blame their customers exploiters for using their offered stuff. Then just GG.

@"Sabre.8251" said:Hey there,i did send that support member the exact same link and also copied in detail the text passage about free server transfer with character free accounts.The problem still is that i get called abusing their system:

Jan 18, 12:51 PST

Hello xxx,

We would like to clarify on some information you have researched.

The waived server transfer is only meant for "players just starting out" and as i have said earlier we are not here to circumvent the system. Continued abuse of the waive server transfer can be taken as exploiting the system since server transfers are a paid service and require Gems.

Any further responses about the issue maybe closed without response.

I was calling their support for a mistake they made and get called to abuse their system.So if that's the way to go for this company to blame their customers exploiters for using their offered stuff. Then just GG.

Then ask to have your characters that you deleted restored if they feel you are outside of the "just started" time period and ask that they fully delete your beta character since they know seem to realize that you're affected by that issue. That character also holds the name used hostage as well, so it does affect more than just the ability to transfer servers for free..

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Account-transfer/1427223

Ok, confirmed by my good team member: The server transfer fee is for moving characters, if you have no characters the transfer is free.

This is the citation from @"Gaile Gray.6029" used on the wiki. If that information is incorrect, I hope ANet makes sure that the wiki article is also updated appropriately.

If all else fails, you can try posting on Reddit; CS Team members and other Devs often respond there.

(In all the time I've monitored the Account Support sub-forum [basically since launch], I've never heard of anyone getting the response you got from that CS Team member. Many, many players have used the 'Transfer without cost by deleting all characters' with no issue whatsoever. The only issue(s) that have come up have been since PoF Beta Preview events and the beta characters still on accounts. Mine included. The Devs may have believed they purged all the beta characters, but the API believes they are still there for many.

Good luck.

Having read this I believe it's rather unfair of Customer Support to come back with the response they did.The wiki clearly states that this is a plausible method and nowhere does it indicate that it is discouraged, let alone banned by ANet.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World#Transferring**Accounts without active characters[edit]The transfer fee is waived for accounts without any active characters. This allows players just starting out to change to another world that is not full. You also can transfer without cost if you delete all your existing characters. The next time you log on without any characters, you will be prompted to choose a new home world. [1] Please be aware of the following:

Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only if the population of the world is at less than capacity.Transfers to any game world — whether free or paid for with gems — are allowed only once per seven days.If you decide to delete the characters on your account, Customer Support cannot restore them, in whole or in part.When all characters are deleted, your guilds, coin, and bank contents will not be lost.**

On the whole it seems rather cruel to let you delete all your characters (minus bank assets), warn you that these characters are non-recoverable and then state that actually this is no longer a legitimate method of transfer. Personally, outside of this case, I have not seen any posts/announcements from official sources indicating a server switch this way would be considered abuse of the system.

It would be appropriate for the support team to assist OP with their server transfer unless they can back up with convincing evidence where it's stated officially that this way if moving is not acceptable according to game T&C/policy.

Archived