Any news on dungeons?

I've seen a few bits of information from 2-3 years ago from developers basically saying in a round about way that dungeons may get the odd tweak but nothing substantial. Has there been any official news since then? Even a "There's a plan to make a plan, some day" would be quite nice to hear of.

Mainly asking because I really do love the dungeons (I can't entirely put my finger on why I love them more than a lot of other content) but the mechanics are somewhat lackluster compared to more recent content and the rewards while ok don't give the majority of the playerbase much incentive to be drawn there. I'm finding it quite difficult to find groups recently using LFG, some times of day are better than others but this problem seems to increase as more time passes. I think even just a little bit of bug fixing on the more annoying bosses, some lower health pools for HoTW bosses wouldn't be amiss, and some tweaking or additions to the reward system to make them more enticing might just bring them back into some level of popularity. What I'd love to see is some sort of mentoring reward system for these (since they seem to be the first sort of challenging content for new players and are excellent content for leveling new characters) so that level 80's will feel more compelled to party with lowbies rather than reluctant.

Anyway, so yeah, any news more recent than a couple of years ago? Thanks!

Dungeons are dead and have been for a long time mate.2-3 80s can run through any dungeon that dont have a special mechanic making it have to have more coe the 4 buttons as a example.By hard to getting groups are you saying you put up a all welcome story or p1,p2,p3 in the lfg pannel and noone joins?Never had that happen myself guess arah explore and aetherpath is the hardest dungeon paths to get a group for tho.

Even a year ago the LFG was more responsive than it is now. EG the last two times I put up LFG's for SE P1 I was past the second boss before 1 person joined, just now I ended up soloing the 3 golems too (reflects are cool) but it is a less busy time of day so I didn't expect much. I've lost count of the amount of times I've sat and waited for people at the lasers of CoE. Generally my LFG's are "all welcome". Story modes seem to fill up the quickest but I'm not fussed if people join quickly for those since more than half the bosses are soloable anyway. AC is the only one that doesn't seem to have much of a waiting time. I don't start Arah's or Aether's ever anymore because frequently people will join, won't even say hello, don't read instructions, die doing something they would have known not to do had they read instructions, and then quit party - at least if this happens in every other dungeon I can probably continue battles solo or help keep them alive just enough to be damage sponges so I can survive to do the job. I check the LFG regularly while playing and in contrast to the past I'm more often than not seeing no LFG's in most of them where as in the past there'd be several throughout, if not 1 or more in each. But yeah, dungeons are very simple with even just 2 80's who know what they're doing but largely the pugs don't seem to which can often make them more challenging with 5 people than 2. Eh I'll still love them inexplicably.

Unfortunately I'm playing guardian most of the time so double switching isn't possible hehe

It really is a shame if the bottom line is Anet plan to do nothing with them ever again as dungeons wouldn't need too much to make them more presentable, useful and popular. A bit of polish, bug fixing and an improvement to the reward system would go along way without having to do a complete overhaul. :( Although I say " a bit of" I'd imagine that to be a very big chunk of work as it is.

Fractals are the new dungeons. Everything that would have gone into them goes into fractals instead.

Personally, I would love to see the dungeons pulled into the fractal system. Take the 3 most interesting encounters from the various paths of each, string them together on little fractal maps, let them keep dropping generous amounts of their respective tokens. Leave the gates in the open world as alternative gates to t1 of those fractals only.

Probably more work than it's worth, and classical dungeon purists would scream bloody murder, but I can dream.

Just move to Fractals. They're far more rewarding, easy to get groups for and they range from quite easy to very challenging. If you don't like AR stay on low tier Fractals. Do enough of them you'll get the AR you need to move up anyway. The mechanics in Fractals are for the most part far ahead of the mechanics in dungeons.

Dungeons mostly came out at launch with the exception of AC new bosses and TA Aetherblade path. It was the first attempt at designing instanced content without a trinity for a lot of the developers and that shows. The defiance mechanic was not widely understood by people originally, nor was it well explained in game. The breakbar replacement makes dungeons easier than they ever were.

Fractals started with designs that pushed people away from stacking, and in general there was more coordination over all. It was a much better format for a game without a tank or healer, because the developers learned how to make encounters for this new paradigm.

There's no point in asking about old content that doesn't only not fit the bill, but really never did.

I do fractals and I'm upto t4 but for me it's two different things. It seems strange to have one piece of content be left un-updated because there's another piece of content that's better updated. "Ignore this content that you enjoy because there's other content that you enjoy" doesn't seem to make sense to me. :P I'd like to enjoy all the available content that I enjoy just without feeling like it's being intentionally left opsolete. But then this is just my wish, it doesn't really stop me enjoying the content it just means I have to turn a blind eye within my fanboyism I guess and be more patient over time as it takes longer to get groups for dungeons. But thanks for the encouragement anyway!

They said that the 5-man content that they will be supporting is fractals. Typical dungeons are legacy content. And really what is the difference? Both are 5-man instance content. If the old dungeons were supported they would basically be like the fractals. There is no real difference. And as you said...You can still run them and have some fun for the nostalgia.

Archived