Poison as medicine?

BrokenGlass.9356

Mesmer, historically has had access to one, lonely poison. Chaos storm. Two if you count the trait that summons lesser chaos storm on heal.

With the recent castration of confusion, some utilities and weapons are lacking.

The issue (from the development perspective) is that poison access for mesmer has always come tied to the rng component. The 'chaos' of mesmer. So, it's not as if the mesmer cast a spell to poison you, it's as though the randomness of raw chaos hit you with radiation, resulting in poison. Even the asura of the racial skill radiation field does confuse and poison.

So my solution is as follows:

Cry of Frustration:Destroy all your clones, inflicting random conditions nearby foes. The shatter effect also occurs at your location.

Damage: 101Confusion (6s)Or Poison (5s)Or Torment (8s)Number of Targets: 5Radius: 240Range: 1,200

Crystal SandsDraw in shards of crystal sand that burn or confuse foes they pass through on their way to your targeted location. The shards form a Mirage Mirror upon reaching their destination.

Damage (6x): 636Confusion (5s)Burning (2s)Range: 900

JauntShadowstep to a target location and inflict conditions on nearby foes.

Damage: 266 (1.0)Confusion (6s):Poison (6s)Bleed (6s)Conditions Removed: 1Maximum Count: 3Count Recharge: 20sRadius: 180Combo Finisher: LeapRange: 450

Ether BarrageLaunch a barrage of chaos orbs at your foe, inflicting either confusion or poison each hit. Condition duration halved for clones.

Damage (5x): 460Poison (4s)Torment (4s)Range: 1,200

Confusing Images (PvP)Channel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe.

Damage (6x): 1,320 (3.6)?6 Confusion (7s):Number of targets.png Number of Targets: 5Range: 900

Vile Images (PvE)Channel a beam of energy that damages and poisons your foe.

Damage (6x): 1,320 (3.6)?6 Poison (7s):Number of targets.png Number of Targets: 5Range: 900

@OriOri.8724 said:You're posting a solution but I really have no idea what the problem is that this solves.

You need to explain why our low access to poison is a problem in the first place.

So, you'll have to excuse my oversight.

It's not that low poison access is a problem. It isn't.

The problem is that confusion has little to no use in PvE.

So, rather than making every skill listed above do torment, I was capturing the feel of how our current poison applicator works... And moving that concept of 'poison but rarely by itself, with rng elements' to the moves currently focused on confusion.

The thrust of these changes would be to mitigate the damage caused in PvE by confusion's newfound uselessness. By engaging a core mesmer concept and broadening it out.

Also, this has the net effect of reducing the number of things that apply confusion. Thus, mesmer would fall in line with the other classes who have very limited access to it.(even though still more than others) This limited access would allow them to massively buff the activated portion of confusion's damage.

Net result? 5 stacks of confusion matter. And mesmer's kit works in PvE.

¡¡ No no and no. !!!

I do not want any change in whatever skill or traits that Mesmer has right now that applies "Confusion", and much less, inflict random conditions. I do not like to inflict random conditions, it's not necessary.

What you propose is fine, add a new condition, poison. With its logic of radiation issue, okay. But only for the theme "Chaos", which is the mesmer's staff, skills how "Winds of Chaos" or "Chaos Armor", can be apply poison on the enemies. On "Winds of Chaos", remove condition "Torment" and puting "Poison". And modify some traits of the "Chaos" line that applies "Poison", etc. Or for example, the Phantasmal Warlock inflict also "Poison"

But for the scepter of mesmer, skills shatter "Cry of Frustration", and others skills that inflict "Confusion", dont remove or change it, above all the scepter. It is the only weapon that remains for mesmer to apply "confusion". I do not want to see any changes, since I'm very comfortable, it's my favorite weapon and the only one that keeps me playing gw2.

I want to continue playing, inflicting "Confusion" with the scepter, both in pve and in pvp. If you want to "poison" or more damage conditions, play with the ax Mirage, or invent new ideas for the ax or in the specialization Mirage, that can inflict "Poison", or see on traits of line "Chaos", but nothing to remove or replace the few skills that the mesmer has now with the "confusion".

Please, arenanet, do not kill and destroy mesmer with the little have skill for apply "Confusion", the scepter and the few skills you have to inflict "confusion" is my last hope to continue playing GW2.

@BrokenGlass.9356 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:You're posting a solution but I really have no idea what the problem is that this solves.

You need to explain why our low access to poison
is
a problem in the first place.

So, you'll have to excuse my oversight.

It's not that low poison access is a problem. It isn't.

The problem is that confusion has little to no use in PvE.

So, rather than making every skill listed above do torment, I was capturing the
feel
of how our current poison applicator works... And moving that concept of 'poison but rarely by itself, with rng elements' to the moves currently focused on confusion.

The thrust of these changes would be to mitigate the damage caused in PvE by confusion's newfound uselessness. By engaging a core mesmer concept and broadening it out.

Also, this has the net effect of reducing the number of things that apply confusion. Thus, mesmer would fall in line with the other classes who have very limited access to it.(even though still more than others) This limited access would allow them to
massively
buff the activated portion of confusion's damage.

Net result? 5 stacks of confusion matter. And mesmer's kit works in PvE.

Ah thanks.

I have to disagree on this though. Conditions in general are pretty hard to balance right now because of how many can be thrown out in a very quick manner by classes. Confusion was probably the hardest to balance due to its dual nature (damage when not using skills versus damage on skill use), on top of the skills / minute difference between PvE and PvP/WvW. I would rather see, gamewide mind you not just mesmer, access to conditions reduced severely. Consequently, Confusion should be reverted to where it was at least in PvE.

At the most basic level, this could be as simple as reducing the stacks of all stacking conditions by 1 on every single skill/trait in the game that applies multiple stacks, and lowering the duration by 1 second or 20% for every skill/trait that only applies a single stack or applies a non stacking condition. This would be disastrous ofc, so I would hope that ANet would take a more nuanced approach to this. But I don't really believe conditions can be balanced until output is restricted quite heavily.

In my opinion, conditions should be limited, but powerful effects. ~8 stacks of confusion should be near deadly if you use a skill with that many stacks, and it should also require a very well coordinated burst to achieve that many stacks. This would also require re-balancing resistance, but that's a different debate.

Archived