Recording Game Pro-Tips

Personally I use Shadowplay with a ramdisk as temp file and nvme SSD as storage, recording 1440p at 60fps. Recording 5m back in time isnt even noticable on performance. Could make it more minutes if truly serious about recording but I only use 2gb for the ramdisk and often only skirmishes and moments, can always stack up the clips.

But it depends on your video card. Shadowplay is Nvidia.

Depends on what you want, and what constraints you are under.

If your computer has limited storage capacity then you will want a recorder than can record in compressed formats. I recommend OBS as that's what I use. Do note that compressed formats will mean that your video will not be as crisp as your monitor. However if you happen to have a nice massive multi terabyte drive, then you can go for something like Fraps which records raw video which means absolutely zero quality loss. I don't use proprietary video card recorders like Shadowplay so I cannot comment on those programs.

Oh and as a general rule: you do not ever record to the same drive that GW2 is being run from.

@kokiman.2364 said:Neither ramdisk or ssds are needed. A hdd is fine as long as there are no other processes that read/write a lot on it while you record.Well when you havent had a HDD in any of your computers in the last 10 years since its obsolete tech, thats a problem. But sure, it'll still work.

The advantage of Shadowplay is that you dont need so much disk space (only ram if using a ramdisk and long temp files) if you want casual recordings. My 5m recordings of good quality is like 1.6gb I think. I only take maybe 2-3 clips tops in a 1-2h sitting and once I reach 15-20 or so of them I cut them, maybe make a video and toss the raw files away. No need to continous record for hours and hours yet no risk missing anything by not doing it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@kokiman.2364 said:Neither ramdisk or ssds are needed. A hdd is fine as long as there are no other processes that read/write a lot on it while you record.Well when you havent had a HDD in any of your computers in the last 10 years since its obsolete tech, thats a problem. But sure, it'll still work.

The advantage of Shadowplay is that you dont need so much disk space (only ram if using a ramdisk and long temp files) if you want casual recordings. My 5m recordings of good quality is like 1.6gb I think. I only take maybe 2-3 clips tops in a 1-2h sitting and once I reach 15-20 or so of them I cut them, maybe make a video and toss the raw files away. No need to continous record for hours and hours yet no risk missing anything by not doing it.

Not trying to start a flamewar or anything but if you don't see any advantages in HDDs you clearly don't understand the differences between those technologies. HDDs are not obsolete.

Archived