Sand portals not always working properly (jackal)

Hi all,I already had this problem in PoF but with the new sand portals in Sandswept-Isles this problem occurs more often.

The problem:Sometimes if I want to use a sand portal with the jackal I just jump against the portal like it was an invisible wall and fall down (without getting ported at all). This happens especially often when the portal covers a longer distance.The workaround I found to be fairly consistent is to stay in front of the portal for some time. I assume this happens because of environment loading/rendering at the exit portal? It's not game breaking but it surely annoys me to some degree as I always have to stop in front of the portals and wait.I am using a different hotkey than space to blink.

I'd appreciate any tips regarding this issue. Thank you.

Hi,I am experiencing the same issue. In PoF I never really had any problems with sand portals, perhaps one out of 100 did not work the first time. But on the new map it is really horrible. I don't know if this is tied to the distance you travel, it seems a little random to me. It's annoying when you try to jump through a portal, then just stand in the air for split second and fall off the cliff cause no port. I don't think it's related to the blink, since the blink is just a very fast movement so walking into the portal or blinking doesn't make a difference. At least not in my case.As for a workaround, I guess there is just try again.Perhaps it is a map issue? I noticed my client is almost crashing every time I load into the map. This does not happen with any other. But then again, who knows what is related to each other and what isn't.Cheers

Experiencing the same thing OP describes. It's especially annoying in the new map when you fall down from high places on your jackal you really can't get back to, and since they don't work more often than they do in the new map, I've come to avoid using them there for just that reason. It was like Madara says above maybe a few times they did not work / 100 in the PoF maps, but in Istan and especially the new map, it happens a lot more often.

• 3 months later...

I sometimes have the same problem. I always assumed it to be a lag-issue. For movement GW2 mostly trusts the client, but the portals are triggered server-side. This can lead to a situation where you run head-first into an airbourne portal-wall and fall down before the server notices that it's supposed to teleport you.

@Spike.4521 said:Sometimes if I want to use a sand portal with the jackal I just jump against the portal like it was an invisible wall and fall down

Ditto. The trick to circumvent this bug is to jump early enough. If you jump too close to the portal, it will take you several attempts to get through.

By the way, I don't think this issue was present when PoF was relreased. The bug found its way into the game some time later, with some update (as usual).

Archived