Can we get direct connections to maps?

Maps like Siren's Landing and the Sandswept Isles have no direct connection to any other map. You can get there via portal tomes, waypoints, teleport to friend items, or the main story. The main story is fine, but any method of getting back there is extremely immersion breaking. Even places like Istan and the PoF maps only have one-way transportation.

Can we get an asura gate or something that links all maps together in an immersive way? Like a way to swim between the Straits of Devastation and Siren's Landing, and a boat to and from the Sandswept Isles from Istan, and a boat from Istan to the PoF maps, and an airship from the PoF maps to everywhere else.

Please?

All of the maps "disconnected" from core Tyria are expansion and living story (season 3+4) maps. I suspect it's done this way so as to not shove the inaccessible areas into the face of exploring players that don't have that content unlocked.

Personally I'm going across the world so often that it doesn't make any difference to my sense of immersion if I'm traveling on foot, through asura gates, via waypoints, or by using portal scrolls/tomes. I suspect that most players are so used to long-distance transportations via waypoints/portal scrolls by now that unless a developer picks this idea up as a pet project ANet won't set aside development resources for extra map connections (especially if those mean more "inaccessible transport points" for players without the area unlocks again).

Using waypoints shouldn't be an immersion issue; they aren't just a convenience mechanic, they exist in lore too. There's even a storyline in Season 2 where Mordremoth starts attacking the waypoint network and destroys some of them. The only difference is in lore you have to go to a waypoint and use it to teleport to another one (which is why you'll sometimes see NPCs after an event run to the nearest waypoint and disappear) and they're apparently expensive enough that it's still more economical to transport goods over land/by ship even when there's a waypoint at the start and end points.

Waypoints in hostile territory are set up by the Pact and their allies as they move in. Which is why there's less of them in dangerous maps and on maps like Orr (original) and Dragon's Stand they only become available once our forces have taken over the area.

Having said that it would be nice if there was an option to get a boat from Lion's Arch or somewhere else (if I remember correctly the boats in Siren's Landing all look asuran, so maybe Rata Sum) to get there. Even if it was locked until you'd done the story once on that character.

Archived