[sPvP] Core medic Engineer, discussion

Amadeus.5687

Hello Engineer forums

Been a looong time since I last played around with Engineer builds (Actually not since pre HoT), cuase the elite specs we have gotten haven't hit my "sweet spot" of why I like Engineer.But anyway, after the medkit changes I have been toying around with how to play a core engineer support build (also played it as a scrapper, which is fun aswell)

I just can't really make up my mind what is the best utility skills to run and I wanna have a discussion going about it. It won't be meta, but it's fun to play and I have been sitting in plat 1 and plat 2 most of last season, which is fine with me.Also I kinda just wanted to use some of the more fun traits and utility skills we have and have a fun talk with fellow engineer players what could be done different.Anyway, what I have come up with as the core foundation is the following build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAqOlsTh2tYfXg2LWMMKx9r/+vxC8FCswA4+yPA-jJxHABA8AAU+EAIfZAf2fAA

The reason for this is:A. I like kit dancing, it have allways been the thing about the Engineer proffesion that I fell in love with and what gives the profession the dynamic flow to it.B. I like combo fields, they are fun to play with. I like the idea about Soothing detonation traited and have wanted to have some fun with that.

Hence:We use the Medkit (for obvious reasons)We use Elixir gun cause it brings: a combo field (light) and a blast finisher + a bunch of condi removal and cover condisWe use Rocket boots, because they are blast finisher, they are high mobility and a "get outta here" utility skill.We use Mortar kit, cause it brings the combo fields to the field! + Blast finisher

I have tried running with rifle instead of pistol/shield, but I really like the defensive tools of the pistol/shield kit over the more offensive kit the Rifle brings. And mostly I don't really have much time to just use the weapons.

Now, for the last utility spot, I have tested the following:

Thumper Turret: More blast finisher, knockback and a stunbreak, all in all solid pick. I have tried running it with Experimental turrets and swapping mortor kit for supply crate, which also have been quite fun and working ok (But not as much field blasting)Throw Mine: Traited it got a short CD, it's a knockback, rips boons and it's a blast finisher. Have been quite fun to use when I have a Scourge to support vs a Firebrand and his scourge. The boon ripping + knockbacking can really mess up the firebrands and it can be used both offensive and defensiveElixir R: Ressing game and condi removal, the endurance gain is nice when you drink it, but I kinda feel I don't needed it when I have Rocket Boots. The AoE ress field is awesome thoElixir S: Stomping game and getting out of jail cardTool Kit: For even mor kit gameplay, swapping to the Power Wrench trait, making you a tough nut to crack. mostly used then when I ran with Thumper Turret and the supply crate. Also worked nicely with a rifle version.

In generel the supply crate is quite fun to use, since the tool belt skill remove every single condi on you and the teammates you hit, turning them into a ton of boons. So for sure a solid option aswell

So what I have found the build does well:

• Condi removal
  • Sustained healing
  • Cover conditions and high poison uptime, make you a great friend to your local Scourge
  • High mobility and flexibility, you can do some cheeky decapping and one of no where supporting
  • Decent personal survivability if you know how to kite, but depending on the last utility, high risk for stunlocks

In a Firebrand + scourge vs me+scourge, I found my side winning most of the time, since I can to a greater extend control and time my condi removal + I don't remove condis, i convert them into boons, giving my scourge the edge most of the time.

What I have found dosn't work so well

• No amulet like menders amulet, but with condition dmg instead of power damage (Have tested sage amulet, were fun, not enough healing)
  • Soothing detonation kinda suck, the raidus (240) is to small for the weak heal it does, only 644.
  • condition dmg and power pressure on the time can mess you up, since you wanna blast light fields vs condi and water fields vs power.
  • Weak ressing game
  • Lack of on demand stability

So yeah, anyone got some input? Have anyone else tried running a support core Engineer after the medkit changes and how have you built it?

@Chaith.8256 said:Tools and Rocket Boots over scrapper trades a ton of survivability and support for disengage. I would never unslot Scrapper

I agree, Scrapper is a super solid third trait line to pick and by far the best option, but it's really not what it's about for me :)It's whatever or not I can make a core engineer build that can doing viable support in platinum rank sPvP, and if I can, what changes that could help it on the way! In general I just really like the idea off having cool core specs that can compete some what (Like the core guardian power hammer builds ect)

Quite a solid build I would say. If you're interested, you can try my Jack Of All Trades build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlsThSsY7WwkLw6FLvFlYK+EJx3QNhBw4Z0FZBA-jJRSABIXGA0HAA3XAAA2fAA. It can also be found on Metabattle.

The build I made is a core support engineer build that also uses the Med Kit, the only difference is that it uses 4 kits (yes, I'm that big of a nutcase) and it's not a full support build. Like the builds' name implies it has a balance of both power damage, sustain and supporting capabilities. The lack of stability is what hurts core engineer, but the same thing can be said about the thief. Core engineer is still viable, but the problem is that you have to play like a god in order to be effective in fights.

Many players would say that support Scrapper with Med Kit is better because they have reflects and are better at rallying allies. But I played core support engineer in the previous ranked PvP season and managed to reach platinum 1 only to then lose it and was brought back to gold 3. I don't really care because reaching near platinum 1 as a core player, let alone a core engineer player which is considered the weakest profession in the entire game was quite the achievement.

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Quite a solid build I would say. If you're interested, you can try my Jack Of All Trades build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlsThSsY7WwkLw6FLvFlYK+EJx3QNhBw4Z0FZBA-jJRSABIXGA0HAA3XAAA2fAA. It can also be found on Metabattle.

The build I made is a core support engineer build that also uses the Med Kit, the only difference is that it uses 4 kits (yes, I'm that big of a nutcase) and it's not a full support build. Like the builds' name implies it has a balance of both power damage, sustain and supporting capabilities. The lack of stability is what hurts core engineer, but the same thing can be said about the thief. Core engineer is still viable, but the problem is that you have to play like a god in order to be effective in fights.

Many players would say that support Scrapper with Med Kit is better because they have reflects and are better at rallying allies. But I played core support engineer in the previous ranked PvP season and managed to reach platinum 1 only to then lose it and was brought back to gold 3. I don't really care because reaching near platinum 1 as a core player, let alone a core engineer player which is considered the weakest profession in the entire game was quite the achievement.

There is something satisfying in winning and climbing the ladder as a core spec, I agree! I like dancing around with a ton of kits as well, but I do find with my main focus on supporting via Medkit, I don't have time to use more then max two other kits and still bringing enough support. The idea of a jack of all trades build is neat tho!How come you pick HGH over Purity of Purpose tho?

With shield off hand, rightly timed medkits and when I ran thumper turret I had a "ok" reflect uptime, but what gets me killed most of the time, is as you say; The lack of stability and I just can't find a solid way of slotting that into the spec :(

@Amadeus.5687 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Quite a solid build I would say. If you're interested, you can try my Jack Of All Trades build
. It can also be found on Metabattle.

How come you pick HGH over Purity of Purpose tho?

The reason why I picked HGH over Purity of Purpose is simple. It reduces the cooldown on elixirs like Acid Bomb and Super Elixir. The lower cooldown on Acid Bomb is great when combining with Cleansing Field even though they both have the same cooldown (15 seconds without HGH, 12 with HGH) and it's great for traversing the map quicker (Jump Shot + About Face + Acid Bomb). Super Elixir is also great because it cleanses conditions and it increases the duration on the healing, giving you and your allies a lot of sustain.

But the real reason why I use HGH is what's going to blow your mind. Not many players know about this, but it is quite amazing. Elixir Guns' stun breaker has a 35 seconds cooldown. With Tools, it's reduced to 30 seconds. But if you combine Tools with Alchemy and the HGH trait, the Elixir Guns' stun breaker cooldown gets reduced from 35 seconds to 24 seconds. That's an 11 seconds difference which is just insane. Due to the lack of stability, it's better to have stun breakers with low cooldowns.

@Hoodie.1045 said:The reason why I picked HGH over Purity of Purpose is simple. It reduces the cooldown on elixirs like Acid Bomb and Super Elixir. The lower cooldown on Acid Bomb is great when combining with Cleansing Field even though they both have the same cooldown (15 seconds without HGH, 12 with HGH) and it's great for traversing the map quicker (Jump Shot + About Face + Acid Bomb). Super Elixir is also great because it cleanses conditions and it increases the duration on the healing, giving you and your allies a lot of sustain.

But the real reason why I use HGH is what's going to blow your mind. Not many players know about this, but it is quite amazing. Elixir Guns' stun breaker has a 35 seconds cooldown. With Tools, it's reduced to 30 seconds. But if you combine Tools with Alchemy and the HGH trait, the Elixir Guns' stun breaker cooldown gets reduced from 35 seconds to 24 seconds. That's an 11 seconds difference which is just insane. Due to the lack of stability, it's better to have stun breakers with low cooldowns.

Ahh yeah I can get behind that reasoning, makes sense when you are going for a jack of all trades built as well! Were thinking it would be something along those lines you were going for it.I'm not sure I would swap in HGH for my pure support setup tho, I think I have the mobility covered with the rocket boots. I also feel the condition conversion is what really tips the scale into my scourge favor in these mirror matchup. None the less, it's also another option open. I kinda think that's why I have so much fun toying around with a core setup atm? I feel there is a large degree of choices, where it's tough to decided which exactly is the best pick, which makes it all more fun?

But I think I will try swapping to HGH if the enemies don't have a scourge or condi mirage, the shorter CD stunbreak with more will be more worth it in those cases. Like I knew how it function and that it effects all the Elixir tooltips skills, just hadn't given it much tought

I've toyed around with similar builds and while I do like scrapper better for this role, I'll still offer some feedback for Core.

I would slot sigil of agility so you get the quickness when you switch to med kit. This makes the 3+5+4 chain take very little time.

Consider trying personal battering ram in the third utility. You're not using it for the damage but for the added access to interrupts on enemy finishers, rezes, heals, etc. Elixir u is also a good choice for more fields/defense on the toolbet and on demand quickness with a stun break.

If you choose to ignore scrapper, then your best bet for your other utility slot is throw mine. Blast finisher, boon strip, CC.

Slick shoes would be another alternative, although much lower cooldown and no blast finisher.

You also won't want mender's gear with this setup, doesn't favor power or precision much.

@Frostmane.9734 said:I've toyed around with similar builds and while I do like scrapper better for this role, I'll still offer some feedback for Core.

I would slot sigil of agility so you get the quickness when you switch to med kit. This makes the 3+5+4 chain take very little time.

Consider trying personal battering ram in the third utility. You're not using it for the damage but for the added access to interrupts on enemy finishers, rezes, heals, etc. Elixir u is also a good choice for more fields/defense on the toolbet and on demand quickness with a stun break.

How well did it go for you running the core version? Kinda wanna hear about other peoples experience with it! :) I will try agility, gonna swap the cleansing for it I think, will see how that goes.

I have tried Elixir U a bit aswell, mostly for the stun break effect and the toolkit skill, when I have been vs 2+ rangers or there were a P/P Thief in there. Gonna give Personal battering ram a go, one of those skills i allways want to make work in a built, but never feel I got the room for it :astonished:

@Vagrant.7206 said:If you choose to ignore scrapper, then your best bet for your other utility slot is throw mine. Blast finisher, boon strip, CC.

Slick shoes would be another alternative, although much lower cooldown and no blast finisher.

You also won't want mender's gear with this setup, doesn't favor power or precision much.

Thanks for feedback, I do feel the Throw mine is a super solid, but it ain't a stunbreak like some of the other utility skills so it's a bit more risky! I does fun things to the mid fight against a firebrand tho.

I don't really like Menders amulet either, but I just don't feel there is another good support option atm? If there were a Healing +, Condition damage +, vitality and either conentration / Expertise that would be perfect. But not sure if that would have a major impract on othr builds? I gues Firebrands could use it for burn dmg aswell?

@Amadeus.5687 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:I've toyed around with similar builds and while I do like scrapper better for this role, I'll still offer some feedback for Core.

How well did it go for you running the core version? Kinda wanna hear about other peoples experience with it! :) I will try agility, gonna swap the cleansing for it I think, will see how that goes.

Maybe it goes without saying, but it really depended on my team. I do typically play support roles but it's very different when you have an organized team that knows what you're doing to support them, versus a random selection of people. There's no targeted healing/buffing in this game so you have to position yourself near the people you're trying to support, which is often counter-intuitive to a game that is so oriented on movement, and sometimes they don't know that you're trying to do that. If my team was well aware and capable, the build was great to play and certainly felt effective to me. But, if my team was made up of solo all-stars then it put me on an island where its hard to get anything done by yourself. Maybe that's more an assessment of PvP in this game then of this build, but that's ultimately why i stopped playing it. Your reality may differ.

Archived