Newbie first time into GW2

Yeldo.4576

Hi, it's my first time playing GW2 with some friends, thing is they have played before and they know what they are doing, unlike me.I have got both expansions and I'm torn with all these classes.I'm looking for something that can do some serious damage and is balanced in pve/PvP. I'm not Into the mesmer hype though.I will tell you my experience, I have tried all the classes but haven't actually played the game yet hah.I loved engineer but the turrets seems to be really weak and I also tried the flamethrower kit and it seems okay...but not strong. I know that holosmith is really strong though.I also tried necromancer and it really was fun with all the pets and reaper shroud but I only heard people staying how bad they actually are in pve and PvP and they never were good. And I'm like...ok...Warrior Beserker seems to be really cool and very strong with, alot of burning damage just not sure how strong are they?Thief I was told to stay away from thief and necro as they are the forgotten classes? Abit sad because deadeye seemed to dish out some nice damage in PvP...

I'm torn between these, thief, engi, Beserker, necro...Can you enlighten me and advise what should I go for? I love all of them equally but I don't know how good they fare in PvP and pve.

Thanks

My advice is to have two different characters. For one thing, PvP characters don't have to be geared, at least not SPvP characters. You can start a new character and PvP with them without even leveling them.

Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Beyond that it's hard to recommend a specific profession because everyone you ask will give you a different answer. But you can at least try them all out in the PvP lobby to get a feel for them and the delete the character and try another. It's better to do that and ask my opinion because I guarantee you I'm playing a different game than you are.

id say try them all out, like the guy before me, but you seem like you already did that...first of, most classes are good in one mode anyways, necro is ez mode in open world and in wvw toptier and in pvp im not sure after last nerfs, but it was pretty high up there, not that good in high endgame pve

berserker has become a pure pve spec, pretty much useless in pvp and wvw, spellbreaker and core warri are very viable tho

thief is very hard to play and mostly for roaming in wvw and pvp used (and tbh i despise the playstyle, but thats just my opinion)

holo is pretty good aswell, not as easy as some other but has quite some dmg

@Yeldo.4576 said:Warrior Beserker seems to be really cool and very strong with, alot of burning damage just not sure how strong are they?

In PvE, Berserker warriors are very strong. But in PvP and WvW they are the weakest compared to core and Spellbreaker.

Thief I was told to stay away from thief and necro as they are the forgotten classes? Abit sad because deadeye seemed to dish out some nice damage in PvP...

Thief and necromancer are both good in PvE and PvP. Core s/d thief and Daredevil d/p thief are still viable. Necromancers' only viable builds currently are Scourge and Reaper. Reaper does get countered by Scourge, but the cleave damage is quite high.

Don't play Deadeye. Sure, it may seem neat to see yourself dealing a lot of damage, but the Deadeye loses out on the utility that core and Daredevil have. Deadeye gets countered by both of them, especially if they're good. Also, in ranked PvP people tend to focus you a lot.

I'm torn between these, thief, engi, Beserker, necro...Can you enlighten me and advise what should I go for? I love all of them equally but I don't know how good they fare in PvP and pve.

Thanks

Warrior, ranger or necromancer should be your first professions. They are the most beginner friendly professions and are all viable in PvE and PvP.

I wouldn't recommend you play engineer. It is the most complex profession in the game, that is of course if you play core engineer. The Holosmith is a better choice when it comes to new players trying to learn how to play the profession.

Oh thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

I might go with necromancer I really loved reaper but I seen some charts where his damage seems low and people don't want you in parties?

Why is Condi Beserker bad in PvP?

Thief damage wise is it high or just average? Pve/pvp

@"Yeldo.4576" said:Oh thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

I might go with necromancer I really loved reaper but I seen some charts where his damage seems low and people don't want you in parties?

https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/

Power reaper was clocked in between 29-30k dps, it's also a clas that you'll find yourself in an up hill battle with in pvp.

@Yeldo.4576 said:Oh thank you all for the replies, very helpful.

berserker is bad in pvp because they nerfed a few things, for me the main reason was, that they changed the interactions with the built up adrenalin in berserker, it used to count as a tier3 f1 burst, but they changed it to tier 1.so you need to get up to 3 adrenalin bars and then use all of them to go into berserker, but it wont activate traits like adrenal health, berserkers power or cleansing ireand then when you use the primal bursts you only get 1 stack of adrenal health and berserkers power and only lose 1 condition with cleansing ire

Pvp the burst is fine, bit difficult to land especially vs good players. Ontop of that, vs good teams, you'll be the number 1 priority to kill as you have the least amount of defences compared to other classes while being the most dangerous one to let live. In pve burst and high hp is all it has, which is fine for trash mobs, but not that useful in bosses, especially those with 1 shot mechanics. Follow the link in snowcrows I pisted above to see the dps rankings. Power reaper was clocked in between 29-30k

Archived