WvW/PvP - Can we make the Air Staff semi-viable for 1v1 encounters?

Bunny.9834

It's well known that Staff Eles are pretty much free kills being all squishy and lacking quick counters. I look at Air Staff skills and they are horrible because they are geared towards multiple target, meaning their stats are "balanced" to compensate for hitting several foes at once. I wish they are more focused on single target for spike damage/counter so Staff Ele can have a decent fighting chance in 1v1.

Anything stated in this post will use WvW as its basis because I am not qualified to speak for PvE or PvP.

The staff was designed to be an AoE focused weapon, thus gearing itself for more large scale battles . I think that changing some of the staff skills to be more single target oriented would hurt the elementalist profession, because it would be a direct nerf to the one viable weapon available to elementalists for these kind of engagements.

For Roaming or even just running back to your group if you happened to die I would suggest swapping to any of the other weapons more geared for smaller engagements, there are several of these available.

I'd actually prefer it the other way around, make Staff Air more AoE/Group Combat focused, both Skill #2 and #3 are pretty much useless in group fights and should be revamped in my opinion. Most of the time you'd only ever use #4 and #5 on air or have Air up for the increased speed (depending on the build) but other than those Air is pretty useless.

Air already has semi-viable 1v1 options with weaver. Pile driver+air 2 is a very strong burst, especially when used with one or two arcane skills and/or glyph of elemental power. Bonus points if you immob enemy with arcane skills and use glyph in air for vulnerability.

Archived