Speed runes - Must have?

Jugglemonkey.8741

Depends what mode you're on in.

At this point in sPvP mobility is our curse, rather than advantage. It's what everyone, probably at Anet too, uses as an excuse not to give Core/DD any dmg or survivability in a fight or chance to play different role.In sPvP you don't need speed to stay on target as Thief can't take literally any consistent pressure, if you are playing S/D then Infiltrators strike is already good for that and for vital kiting, I would take Rune of Speed only if you have trouble utilizing that. If d/p then Shadow shot will help with staying on target and stealth with repositioning. Depends on the build.

I dunno, at this point of the game Runes that give mobility advantage to Thief sounds like an overkill.

Daredevil has virtually permanet access to Swiftness.

S/D Core Thief Builds most of the time have access to Acrobatics and more SwiftnessD/P Core Thief builds, as well as DeadEye Builds, have access to Superspeed inside stealth, so not really necessary either.

I believe that the only point of my life as a thief that I found myself "slow" was playing the Condi S/D Daredevil, since you have no access to Swiftness whatsoever outside runes.

Speed Runes are one of the runes that will fall victim to their own success. If everyone uses speed runes then no one has grnered an advantage over the other even as they have given up advantages. That said I put them on my Staff thief as a test and like the results. I think they better used in very specific builds that do not have ready ports or escape mechanisms. (P/P SB staff)

As to Condi s/d daredevil , they do in fact have swiftness access. It 3 seconds on #2.

@SoulSin.5682 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:As to Condi s/d daredevil , they do in fact have swiftness access. It 3 seconds on #2.

Oh My Guide, I never payed attention to this.

Consider this on your Condi s/d daredevil.

Put on Anti-toxin runes. Trait the acro line through to Don't stop. Now on using Infiltrators s/d loses one condition. On applying swiftness via the #2 trait one movement impeding condition removed. In theory , if one has a movement impeding condition on, given these two separate cleanses (the swiftness applied cleanse and the infiltrators cleanse) the s/d #2 can remove 4 conditions on use.

I was playing with this setup a bit in WvW also taking GI and PR out of acro and you can stay pretty free of conditions.

I always found if going daredevil with impaling in S/d you prone to being imobbed. The problem is of course having to give up the potential damage of either DA or TR but going core is a possibility over doing daredevil.

@babazhook.6805 said:Speed Runes are one of the runes that will fall victim to their own success. If everyone uses speed runes then no one has grnered an advantage over the other even as they have given up advantages. That said I put them on my Staff thief as a test and like the results. I think they better used in very specific builds that do not have ready ports or escape mechanisms. (P/P SB staff)

As to Condi s/d daredevil , they do in fact have swiftness access. It 3 seconds on #2.

I have a second set of marauder armor with speed runes as in some fights I really like how they feel. That said I tend to have an easier time in roaming when I take scholar and just try to play and spike better tbh, deadeye's main strength is overwhelming damage and fights tend to go better for me when the enemy is having to be super cautious of my spike damage. I'm playing acro S/P DE for context.

@Alatar.7364 said:Depends what mode you're on in.

At this point in sPvP mobility is our curse, rather than advantage. It's what everyone, probably at Anet too, uses as an excuse not to give Core/DD any dmg or survivability in a fight or chance to play different role.In sPvP you don't need speed to stay on target as Thief can't take literally any consistent pressure, if you are playing S/D then Infiltrators strike is already good for that and for vital kiting, I would take Rune of Speed only if you have trouble utilizing that. If d/p then Shadow shot will help with staying on target and stealth with repositioning. Depends on the build.

I was mostly thinking from a WvW perspective, I've not played PvP in some time honestly.

Archived