Taking part in a Rollerbeetle-Race = Permission to send spam?

Tiscan.8345

OK, I'm a bit confused by the wording of the official rules for the Rollerbeetle Sweepstake -> https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-roller-beetle-racing-sweepstakes-official-rules/

The third paragraph basically says: to participate, enter one of the races -> so everybody who participates in a race will enter the sweepstake.

So far so good... but if you continue reading, paragraph 3 also says:

By entering this Promotion, any personal information entrants submit will be disclosed to the Administrator and Sponsor and will be used only by ArenaNet and Administrator consistent with Sponsor’s privacy policy. Sponsor may use entrants’ personal information, including postal and email addresses, to contact entrants regarding Sponsor related goods and services and any other offers and/or promotions that they believe might be of interest to entrants. (If you have previously asked us not to send you promotional emails, you must opt-in HERE to participate in the Sweepstakes. Your entry into this promotion will cause you to receive marketing emails as long as you remain opted-in.)

I might be completly wrong but does this mean: if a person takes part in any of the races during the sweepstake he is basically also giving permission to the sponsors to send spam? Or does ANet only give the personal data of those people to the sponsors that actually win something?

And who are the sponsors? Alienware, Razer, tobii and For Fans By Fans?

It would be nice if somebody (@Gaile Gray.6029 ?) could clarify what this actually means.

Yes that's exactly what it means.

Personally I'm not too worried. Firstly because unless I win and have to give them my address the only info they'll have is my email address. And in the unlikely event I do win and give them my address I can follow up exactly what they're doing with it then. But also because I'm in the EU (for now) and therefore protected by GDPR - they legally have to give me an opportunity to not only opt-out of future communication but to have all my details deleted so if necessary I'll go down that route.

(I've had the misfortune to discover that getting American companies to actually comply with that can be easier said than done, but I suspect that's because the company in question was laughably incompetent. But even so it can be done, it just wastes some time getting them to listen.)

Question was if taking part in the ingame race equals giving the permission to share the personal data. That is not the case.

The wording is "any personal data entrants submit", not "any personal data we may have about you". When you take part in a race, you are not submitting any data, so no consent is given to share anything by just doing the ingame race.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:Question was if taking part in the ingame race equals giving the permission to share the personal data. That is not the case.

The wording is "any personal data entrants submit", not "any personal data we may have about you". When you take part in a race, you are not submitting any data, so no consent is given to share anything by just doing the ingame race.

I'm not really sure about this as the rules also contain this little gem:

By participating in the Sweepstakes, each participant will open or has already opened a FREE membership account. The operator of these accounts, ArenaNet, is entitled for the purpose of the conduct of the Sweepstakes according to its Official Rules – to collect, to process (e. g. to modify, to save for further processing, to combine with other data records and to archive) and to use personal data subject to the participant’s consent, to fulfill a contract with participant, to fulfill legal obligations, or for a legitimate interest of processor that is not outweighed by the rights and freedoms of the participant.

Did i mention that i really, really hate "legalese" ? It makes my brain hurt.

And thats the reason i would like to read some official statement.

Archived