Wing Flap

I'm highly curious, does griffin 3 mastery seem like it doesn't do anything to anyone else? It seems like it only adds the ability to go back up after a swoop... which then kills the speed, and possibly still loses the altitude. Shouldn't it be when you flap your wings you get a speed boost? That's how I understood it from reading the mastery

You have to hold down the 'Swoop'skill and dive long enough to gain momentum speed. Then press the Wing Flap once and let go of holding the Swoop button. You will get insane speed burst, Flew with it over entire Verdant Brink in less then 10 seconds. The speed is also so high that you are basically not loosing height.So, yeah, you might have been doing it wrong.

@Alatar.7364 said:You have to hold down the 'Swoop'skill and dive long enough to gain momentum speed. Then press the Wing Flap once and let go of holding the Swoop button. You will get insane speed burst, Flew with it over entire Verdant Brink in less then 10 seconds. The speed is also so high that you are basically not loosing height.So, yeah, you might have been doing it wrong.

The way the griffon masteries work are as follows, if I got it right:

1. Swoop (engage skill) in air enters you into a dive state
  2. Using Wing Flap (spacebar if you have conditional input option on, or "Movement Ability 1", default bind V) while diving gives you speed boost.
  3. "Movement Ability 2" (default binds are C, or the back movement key) immediately after/during a dive will allow you to gain altitude
  4. Then another Wing Flap while climbing will give you another burst of speed (for the climb).

So the correct sequence is, swoop, wing flap, Movement Ability 2 (this needs a name ANet), wing flap. You can actually gain height with this without loosing speed but if you miss the timing on Movement 2 then it kills your momentum (and you gain less altitude). Pay attention to the golden glow on wings. Practice in Rata Sum, it is the best map for it because you start hight by default and have few obstructions when using Swoop.

Edit: for practice, on second thought, black citadel might work better... Rata Sum is still the better map for it, but it has all those annoying tripwires that kill and/or teleport you or knock you off of your mount (sort of, the result is amusing the first few times). Anet: why so stingy about flying in Rata Sum. Can't use mounts from Council Level either :(.

so after playing around with it for awhile, i've think i've got it. was able to swoop and climb for sooooooo long from the LA light house that i could swoop the bank area then make it back to the top of the lighthouse without hitting the ground! one flap while diving, then two flaps while climbing back up, nonstop flight!!!

Archived