Charr and Clipping

Thundabolt.8541

Charr clip way too much. It's not just a clothing issue; some of their animations clip through their own body (see: Dragonhunter's nose clipping through their arm on longbow 2).

Typically I try not to make too much noise about something I'm not knowledgeable about, but I use the screenshot feature a lot and I'm often noticing embarrassing clipping issues.

I don't know if there's anything that can be done about these issues, whether it's that the game engine is too old, or that the coding is like a tangled mess where changing one thing just leads to more issues than before. But since I know so little about the animation process, I'll end by asking the following:

How exactly is Guild Wars 2's animations made? Like, what programs are used, and is it still possible to fix the clipping of clothing and body parts?

Animation is not "coding". Its a more a table, file, database that has lots of numbers(data) of how to move bones.

This "bones" are like bones in your body. In 3D computer game, when you(your char) moves, its "bones" that move. Part of the game engine is called "animation engine" that does it using instructions inside animation file.

Now, you never see "bones"(well, maybe if you'd be undead skeleton). You do see 3D body, armor, face, hair(and so on). This "body" is connected to those bones(skeleton). So when engine moves bones, it also moves, bends, morph body/armor/stuff around bones.

Making animations? 3dmax, Blender? There are tools. Some cost money, some are for free. Put it in google and you'll get links of where to get tools, tutorial, samples ... its pretty big thing. Its a separate profession. Full time job.

Hard, easy to learn how to do animations? Some learn faster, some slower. It is very, very time consuming tho.

Clipping. Thats when armor doesnt fit animation or the other way around.

That game engine would auto fix clipping, like in real world your cloth dont realy go through your body? RL physics simulation? Can be done, but your PC is to slow for that. Like million times to slow. Not even most powerfull super computers can do that in real-time.

As noones PC can do it in real time(even big machines can't), shortcuts are taken. Side effects are glitches, clipping.

@"Pirogen.9561" said:Animation is not "coding". Its a more a table, file, database that has lots of numbers(data) of how to move bones.

This "bones" are like bones in your body. In 3D computer game, when you(your char) moves, its "bones" that move. Part of the game engine is called "animation engine" that does it using instructions inside animation file.

Now, you never see "bones"(well, maybe if you'd be undead skeleton). You do see 3D body, armor, face, hair(and so on). This "body" is connected to those bones(skeleton). So when engine moves bones, it also moves, bends, morph body/armor/stuff around bones.

Making animations? 3dmax, Blender? There are tools. Some cost money, some are for free. Put it in google and you'll get links of where to get tools, tutorial, samples ... its pretty big thing. Its a separate profession. Full time job.

Hard, easy to learn how to do animations? Some learn faster, some slower. It is very, very time consuming tho.

Clipping. Thats when armor doesnt fit animation or the other way around.

That game engine would auto fix clipping, like in real world your cloth dont realy go through your body? RL physics simulation? Can be done, but your PC is to slow for that. Like million times to slow. Not even most powerfull super computers can do that in real-time.

As noones PC can do it in real time(even big machines can't), shortcuts are taken. Side effects are glitches, clipping.

Thanks for such a detailed response! Things definitely make a lot more sense now.

Archived