Fresh LvL 80

Dan.9708

Hey all just boosted my thief to LvL 80 Just a couple questions to ask. I'm planning to use this character as a main. What should I do first? map completion, stories? Best gear to work towards Berserker's?? I wan't to make a perfect character.

Agreed with @Blockhead Magee.3092, tackle the personal story first and get trained up on your class and general gameplay. It sounds like you have at least PoF, if not PoF and HoT, since you used a boost. After you finish your personal story and are comfortable with your class, look at some build/gear enhancements. I believe the boost gears you in lvl 80 Exotics that are decent (read: balanced, not necessarily optimal). You can use the wiki and other websites to educate yourself further and pick some goals. You may be able to work towards those goals in the main maps and/or whatever expansion maps you have access to.

If you do have PoF, you may want to do the first part of that story to get a basic, raptor mount. It will be handy for your core Tyria running around during your personal story. You can even work on a little map completion as you go.

Edit: Note that doing the first part of PoF may be tough if you don't know your class well - you could grab that mount after doing the first few chapters of the personal story, just so you don't go into Elona brand-spanking new.

I have like 4 other lvl 80's also have HoT Completed personal story on my warrior but bored of playing warrior. I've decided to stick with a fresh lvl 80 thief. I've started the PoF story just killed the Herald I've played thief before and know basic skills etc

Personal Story is enjoyable but I don't think it teaches the class much at all.

Is this your first 80?

Assuming it is so, you should unlock the temples in Orr for some Karma gear - about 42,000 Karma per piece:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats#Karma

Look at Berserker and Rampagers. If you're having trouble with survival consider a Rabid accessory piece or two.

Run dungeon explorables. I hate to put it like this but: you can easily get carried by groups in those. Bring group stealth abilities and learn when to use them and folks won't care if you're not so good elsewhere. The community knows the dungeons so well now they will steamroll through them and not notice you're lack of great gear if you bring the stealth. Farm dungeons based on this list of gear:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats#DungeonsIt will take a lot of repeat runs. But the good news is that the most popular dungeons are good for your class: Citadel of Flame and Caudecus' Manor.

Berserker's gear is in Citadel of Flames, Karma, and the two least popular dungeons... (Ruins of Arah may give good gold, but at least back when I was running it runs could take from 1 to 4 hours... so it's rare to see anyone go there. Crucible of Eternity is behind an event chain that is usually not open as the zone is otherwise not popular. Citadel of Flame is also behind an event, but it's a short event right outside the door so there's always somebody doing it if it's locked...).- That said, not sure if Berserker gear is the meta anymore. For raids and high level fractals it is not... but these require Ascended gear and you could be a couple YEARS away from having even as much as 2 pieces of Ascended gear...

The main reason to do map completion is that each finished map gives one transmute token. You will need from 3 to 11 to stop looking like a fashion disaster... (3 if you hide helm, shoulders, back, and hands and don't care about the weapons. 11 if you transmute the whole set of visibles).

As for "learning your class".

I find that really only takes ab hour or two of playing an examining the skill combos. If you actually pay attention... you can just figure it out. If you don't pay attention, no tutorial or other method will really help...

Archived