Branded Karka — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Branded Karka

Are the branded riftstalkers adult karka that have been branded? They look quite similar, but there seems to be no indication one way or the other on the wiki. What sort of implication would this have?

Comments

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

They've answered that question and said explicitly that they look very similar, but are in fact not the same creature.

Very passive aggressively chuckling, because I'm totally not mad on the Internet.

• thanks for letting me know!

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019

Post by ArenaNet in question

They use the adult karka rigging, which is highly unique (second time it's been used), but they're non-Tyrian creatures.

EDIT: Also, not sure where on the wiki you were looking but on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Branded_Riftstalker it's stated there in the very first sentence, with a reference link to the above forum post.

All these squares make a circle.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

I reckon they're branded Gonarchs from the Planet Xen. It's no coincidence those commandos look like Black Mesa soldiers either...

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• @Randulf.7614 said:
    I reckon they're branded Gonarchs from the Planet Xen. It's no coincidence those commandos look like Black Mesa soldiers either...

Oh god, that would imply that we've secretly been playing Half-Life 3 this whole time!

@NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Oh god, that would imply that we've secretly been playing Half-Life 3 this whole time!

Nah, the two series will combine into Fashion-Life 3.

• NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Nah, the two series will combine into Fashion-Life 3.

Truly it will be the most ambitious crossover in all of entertainment history.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019

a lot of creatures in GW universe are just reskin of the each other i.e Mursaat and Seers, forgotten and kraits, so I would take the model similarity links to genetic relations with a grain of salt

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭

@crepuscular.9047 said:
    a lot of creatures in GW universe are just reskin of the each other i.e Mursaat and Seers, forgotten and kraits, so I would take the model similarity links to genetic relations with a grain of salt

Seers actually weren't reskins of anything. Their model was fairly unique.

But yes, reusing rigging is a very common video game practice. Not just in GW.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.