[suggestion]Optional Tutorial practice area.

Hi, I'm someone who has came in at the start of HoT so I know the ins and outs of the game.I've been thinking about this for a while, why isnt there a tutorial area to teach people more things and mechanics about the game.Would it be possible to make a tutorial to help people out strugglying with mechanics or just to help them out in general.Because from what I can recall don't get much, all we get is the first the mission to get the controls and how to attack in the instance of starting a new character.then a mini tutorial on how to dodge somewhere in the first area of the race you're playing... as that's it.

The reason say this is, is because you've added a lot to the base game and many returning players or new players won't know what certain things are without asking which can be fraustrating.Some will even struggle against certain bosses or enemies because they don't understand that they have certain a mechanic to them or a unique way of beating them.With the whole "Why did they nerf the Eater of Souls?" vs "Eater of souls is too hard" I can see both sides to the arguement, so this might be a solution.I came across many players due PoF release weekend that didn't what certain things were. A returning buddy of mine LS1, got scared at the Barrier mechanic because he thought that all Nerco(scrouges) we trying to poison him due to the barrier numbers appearing on this health everytime he went near one. Others didnt understand concept of that certain foes can ONLY be damged with ranged weapons or at melee distance, this somewhat problemic for a couple bounties in the desert.

So having an optional training area for new and returning players would help.Put it in the Home instance so it's accessable to all players, RIGHT FROM THE START. Maybe have it so that the members of the old dragon guild are giving the tutorial to make it race specfic.So the Charr get Rytlock teaching them, while the Humans get Logan teaching them, and Asura get Zojja, and Norn and tree people get other the two.The tutorial practice area can be in its own private instance you access from the home instance if you talk to that character. (you could make the practice area race specfic as well)When you talk the old guild member it'll give you a list of stuff to practice, then you choose one to start

Have them go through a practice battles with dummy enemies with the mechanics (these are what I personally would like to see in this tutorial area)

• Combo fields (what they are and what they do)
  • Blue/Break bars what they are, and HOW to break them. (give them a sword or rifle with CC options and make them fight an enemy that can only be properly damaged when it's blue bar is gone)
  • What ALL boons do (even specfic class ones like aclairty and barrier)-What ALL conditions do (include agony resistance)
  • How conseration, expertise and barrier function.
  • What is the Special action key (the key that appears to do an action, give them a task to do while using that key)
  • Blue attack range eniemes (the hunts you can only attack at certian ranges, give them an easy battle with foes that they have hit at the ranges to damage)
  • You could even setup a few tutorial challenges within the tutorials.
  • An advanced list with raid practice mechanics with mechanics that are only used with certain bosses.and any other mechanics you can think of or things you think players WILL need to know.

This way new or returning players can get practice and know how to do things without asking someone.Secondly this will clear what certain doubts and uncertainies with some casual players as they can do the tutorial over and over to understand.Because the wiki can only do some much and some players learn better when they are doing and testing and having to refer to a wiki.

What do you guys think?

Yes, an optional tutorial that is always available to go back to is something I really would like to see. There could be a reward of AP and a title and why not some fun flavor item like a toy or tonic for completing it, and good visibility for new players to find it easily.

I was just other day thinking of some large festival/non stop party with cool characters to ask you to duel them and such. It could be fun, with a possibility to take others there like in home instance.

And I really would like to have training dummies around! I don't know any in low level locations.

I like the idea of any tutorial or spoon feeding being optional , the last one they did was awful for those of us that have been in game since the beginning and now every alt feels super slow if you run out of tomes to boost them up to at least level 20. Good idea though some new players really struggle apparently so that would help them out and keeping it instanced would keep them out of any real danger.

@kmorland.9486 said:I like the idea of any tutorial or spoon feeding being optional , the last one they did was awful for those of us that have been in game since the beginning and now every alt feels super slow if you run out of tomes to boost them up to at least level 20. Good idea though some new players really struggle apparently so that would help them out and keeping it instanced would keep them out of any real danger.

I wish I had tomes to be able to run out of them.Every character I have have been leveled 1 to 80 manually.

@kmorland.9486 said:I like the idea of any tutorial or spoon feeding being optional , the last one they did was awful for those of us that have been in game since the beginning and now every alt feels super slow if you run out of tomes to boost them up to at least level 20. Good idea though some new players really struggle apparently so that would help them out and keeping it instanced would keep them out of any real danger.

I would cry if they removed the NPE and restored the starter maps, when adding a nice optional tutorial instance. Tears of joy.

@Traced.3495 said:Yes, an optional tutorial that is always available to go back to is something I really would like to see. There could be a reward of AP and a title and why not some fun flavor item like a toy or tonic for completing it, and good visibility for new players to find it easily.

I was just other day thinking of some large festival/non stop party with cool characters to ask you to duel them and such. It could be fun, with a possibility to take others there like in home instance.

And I really would like to have training dummies around! I don't know any in low level locations.

I was also going to suggest a simple training golem or dummy being added to the tutorial area.The option to spawn something you can hit to test out your skills without buffs or anything like the raid area has.Giving new players or people new that class, the chance to see and practice what their skills and traits do one on one privately without any enemy or player inference, especially given that we have new elite specs. I know there is special Training area within the raid section but not everyone will have access to that area from the start and a lot of casual players don't even know a place like exists due to it being hidden in raid lobby and some casual players actually want to avoid raids, so having that little combat dummy/golem in the tutorial practice area would be nice.

Having some treats for completing goals was an idea in had mind for it.Tonics sound nice but are only something temporary and not really useful, rewarding them with something a little more useful would be nice.Something that could HELP them within the main game or encourage them complete the tutorial.Materials and maybe a tonic would be nice for finishing a tutorialThen for completing every tutorial, What about giving them a 18 or 20 inventory slot bag (account bound) . As a big reward for doing it, that way older players might go back and do the tutorial for the bag to put a newer character.While the newer players get an extension on their low inventory space helping them early game.They did recently add 24, 28 and 32 inventory slot bags with the PoF expansion, but I am unsure if that would a bit too much to give players one of those inventory slot bags for a reward fully completing it. However it's sooooo easy to fill up your inventory space with junk, especially with leveling up and exploring as that what newer players will be doing, Futhermore getting one of those 24, 28 or 32 inventory slot bags if it is rather expensive so giving the player just one through achievements would be a good thing.A 28 or 32 inventory slot bag as a final reward, however it's account bound so you can't sell it. That would be a happy medium.

@Traced.3495 said:

I would cry if they removed the NPE and restored the starter maps, when adding a nice optional tutorial instance. Tears of joy.

The new player experience really doesn't affect the opening sequence where you fight the boss, since that's been there since launch (speaking as a player who played through both beta and launch), though I am assuming that's what you're talking about, because it's the only instance related thing that i can imagine you talking about.

If i'm wrong, please correct me.

Archived