Inter Account Name Transfer

I want to transfer one character's name to another within the same account. I do NOT want to lose the name under any circumstance (or make it vulnerable so someone could potentially steal it). How easy is it? Do both characters need a name change contract?

@"mrauls.6519" said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You have 24 hours where it’s saved to your account but you will need 3 Name Change Contracts

1) to change char A to new permanent name2) to change char B to a new temporary name3) to change char B to Char A’s old name

Why can't I skip step 2 and just do 3?

Maybe so. I thought it was 3 when I did it but I may have misremembered it.

(I remember now. I swapped names between 2 chars so it took 3)

I've done exactly that, mrauls. The specifics depend on the result you want. Here's the worst case scenario:

"Rauls" is the name of your warrior. "Mr Mister" is the name of your mesmer. You want to swap the two , so that the warrior becomes "Mr" and the mesmer becomes "Rauls." For that, you'd need three (3) contracts(1) Rename "Rauls" to a temp name, which leaves "Rauls" unattached and locked to your account for 24 hours(2) Rename "Mr Mister" to "Rauls," which completes one swap, and leaves "Mr Mister" unattached and locked to your account for 24 hours.(3) Rename the warrior to "Mr Mister" which completes the final swap

It's cheaper if you delete the characters, because then you still get the 24 hour lock, without needing any of the contracts. I don't recommend it, because there are all sorts of reasons that I prefer adding characters rather than deleting. Which is an alternative: instead of using three contracts, you use two and a new character slot, if you only care about "moving" the one name.

I chose that last method for one of my renames:

• Renamed my original character from "Old Name" to "New Name" (one contract)
  • Created a new character using "Old Name" (new character slot)

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I've done exactly that, mrauls. The specifics depend on the result you want. Here's the worst case scenario:

"Rauls" is the name of your warrior. "Mr Mister" is the name of your mesmer. You want to swap the two , so that the warrior becomes "Mr" and the mesmer becomes "Rauls." For that, you'd need three (3) contracts(1) Rename "Rauls" to a temp name, which leaves "Rauls" unattached and locked to your account for 24 hours(2) Rename "Mr Mister" to "Rauls," which completes one swap, and leaves "Mr Mister" unattached and locked to your account for 24 hours.(3) Rename the warrior to "Mr Mister" which completes the final swap

It's cheaper if you delete the characters, because then you still get the 24 hour lock, without needing any of the contracts. I don't recommend it, because there are all sorts of reasons that I prefer adding characters rather than deleting. Which is an alternative: instead of using three contracts, you use two and a new character slot, if you only care about "moving" the one name.

I chose that last method for one of my renames:

• Renamed my original character from "Old Name" to "New Name" (one contract)
  • Created a new character using "Old Name" (new character slot)

Thank you! Beautifully explained :)