Improving FPS with vulkan?

Hey GW2 Team,

We all know (and this is no secret) that the GW2 engine is poorly designed when it comes to performance and good FPS. Framerate drops no matter what hardware is used.

I found this video:

How about contacting Ubisoft or some other good people and try the same? Try improving the graphics engine somehow.I do only support and never programming, so I have no clue if this is possible. But if it is, it would be good for all the players.

I look forward to your answers.kind regards, hiccups

@"AllNightPlayer.1286" said:How about transferring the old DirectX 9 to DirectX 12 first? The D912pxy <https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy> already does wonders.

You're absolutely right, of course. I only saw this after I had already written my topic. DirectX 12 would be awesome.And if one simple addon can do that, the developers could implement that for sure. ??

Vulkan and DX12 solve draw call issues that bottleneck the CPU as these can't be multithreaded in older APIs.

GW2 is not necessarily bottlenecked by draw calls. Even in a crowded heart of the mists (more than 50 players at a very small space) where my fps drop to 30 with maxed details, the game utilizes only about 3000 draw calls (you can measure them with reshade). That's not much for a modern CPU to handle. Draw calls become problematic at around 10.000 and lots of triple A games reach these numbers. These games benefit from DX12 and Vulkan.

The devs already said that a lower level API like Vulkan or DX12 would not improve the CPU performance of the game.

@"hiccups.3790" said:Hey GW2 Team,

We all know (and this is no secret) that the GW2 engine is poorly designed when it comes to performance and good FPS. Framerate drops no matter what hardware is used.

I found this video:

How about contacting Ubisoft or some other good people and try the same? Try improving the graphics engine somehow.I do only support and never programming, so I have no clue if this is possible. But if it is, it would be good for all the players.

I look forward to your answers.kind regards, hiccups

Hi mate. You can use Vulkan with GW2. Please follow this guide.

Once installed, you'll find for the first 30 min it might be a bit choppy as the shader cache has to be built , but then very smooth. Enjoy !I've used both the DX12 proxy and this and find they are pretty much on-par :)

You can download the latest version from here https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases