Reaper skill 2 - Death's Charge

Sleepwalker.1398

Reaper skill 2 - Death's ChargeSo this skill, how is it damage calculated?I was looking at combat log and i see opponent hit me like...Death's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 6082 dmg**

Is it like the final hit meant to hit really hard?I don't see anything on the tool tip for that skill.

Death's Charge does not hit for 6082. It hits for a 1.3x multiplier.

These absolute damage numbers, like the one you posted, are irrelevant as they ignore any kind of defense. It's not the skill's fault that you facetank it with a glasscanon build, which you obviously do, when a 1.3 multiplier results in 6k damage.

If you don't understand what I am talking about here: Get familiar with the damage formula of the game!

Deaths charge has a bunch of hits that are not listed in the skill fact that are part of the spinning animation. You get hit by them if you are close enough. The tooltip you see is the final hit and the final hit only.

I can't remember how many but they haven't actually been updated in damage value since introduction, unlike the final hot, so they land for a damage coeff of 0.1.

For some reason my memory wants to say 9 extra hits?

It's one of the strongest skills in the kit..even if you only look at the final hit. only really held back by being a leap (not affected by quickness ), the landing lag on the final hit, and the weird targeting all leaps have.

Though if you are getting hit for that much by that skill there are a lot of skills that would do FAR more damage to you.

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:Deaths charge has a bunch of hits that are not listed in the skill fact that are part of the spinning animation. You get hit by them if you are close enough. The tooltip you see is the final hit and the final hit only.

I can't remember how many but they haven't actually been updated in damage value since introduction, unlike the final hot, so they land for a damage coeff of 0.1.

It's one of the strongest skills in the kit..even if you only look at the final hit. only really held back by being a leap (not affected by quickness ), the landing lag on the final hit, and the weird targeting all leaps have.

Though if you are getting hit for that much by that skill there are a lot of skills that would do FAR more damage to you.

Thanks for this. I'm not a reaper so the hits on the skill's description did not make sense.I was just testing and I think you are right in it being 9 hits.The first 8 seem like normal and 9th is one that spikes.PQaPEos.jpg

We don't know why DC is basically a channeled skill with a weird damage application, because we are not familiar with the game engine's coding demands. At lot of skills in the game are quite a mess, because they suffer from the dated engine and getting them to function as intended requires a ton of workarounds. I could imagine that the small hits have something to do with the skill being a projectile destruction.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:Deaths charge has a bunch of hits that are not listed in the skill fact that are part of the spinning animation. You get hit by them if you are close enough. The tooltip you see is the final hit and the final hit only.

Thanks for this. I'm not a reaper so the hits on the skill's description did not make sense.I was just testing and I think you are right in it being 9 hits.The first 8 seem like normal and 9th is one that spikes.
PQaPEos.jpg

It is meant to tell you "you're being hit, you're being hit, move away." A little bit like Holo's Corona Burst. It has a wind up before the big hit comes, and it warns you with a lower damage hit first.You want to dodge the end of the charge, not the beginning.

I don't think that the small hits have the purpose to warn the opponent. That's what the animation is for. It's a technical reason.

If not the projectile block mechanic mentioned in my previous posting, the reason for the small hits could be a simple collision detection. This means the hits prevent you from charging through the opponent if you are at less than 600 range when casting DC.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:Reaper skill 2 - Death's ChargeSo this skill, how is it damage calculated?I was looking at combat log and i see opponent hit me like...Death's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 432 dmgDeath's Charge - 6082 dmg**

Is it like the final hit meant to hit really hard?I don't see anything on the tool tip for that skill.

The scythe spins in front like a propeler , destroying projectiles.It does 8x small hits, but as the skill is a leap - you only take the small hits if you stand still + if the player used a leap in melee range just for the dmg or skill effect.The total damage does add up, to about half the final hit if all the small hits connect. So itsl ike you saw, 3k dmg of small hits of around 500, with 6k final hit.Of course thats big numbers for pvp, youre both in glass gear + some modifiers to hit that big.

Like others above said, the main problem is the skill is a bit clunky and unreliable even more than normal leaps + it has a decent long aftercast.Add some trait effects and the reaper shroud leap has always been a skill worth dodging /interupting.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:

Thanks for this. I'm not a reaper so the hits on the skill's description did not make sense.I was just testing and I think you are right in it being 9 hits.The first 8 seem like normal and 9th is one that spikes.
PQaPEos.jpg

You didn't count the first non-critial hit. Yeah it's 10 hits on total.

9 small and 1 big.

Originally the last hit had a coeff of 1.0 and the small hits had a coeff of around 1. so over all it did 1.9.

It's later been buffed by 30% and 25% placing it at 1.625 for the final hit unusure about the initial hits since they are unlisted.

The Feb patch that reduced all damage even notes the initial strikes. Stating they have gone down from 0.125 to 0.06 and the final strike from 1.625 to 1.3.

Overall if you land the whole thing in PvE it's 2.75 coeff. In PvP and WvW it's 1.84 coeffs.

Like I said strong skill, especislly of you couldn't the extra 600 ferocity it can benefit from..it's just SUPER clunky.