New record last night! Played a couple of hours: almost 107 GB read from the HD! :o :o :oAnyway I didn't had any crash or major problem, only meh FPS and the shift key wich keep getting stucked every time I press it.TIP: If you have a mac with a mechanical HD, use a copy of the game on a good SDHC! It save your HD from a lot of stress =)

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DoktorScience.8674 said:Not sure if this is the best place for this, or if I should make a new thread, but... "Use scrolling gestures to change direction" is not working as I expected it to while mounted. When standing still on a mount, scrolling gestures won't change the mount's direction (but A and D still do) and when unmounted, pressing A or D while moving makes you strafe rather than turn (useful for looking around while moving,) but while mounted A and D still turn so I end up double turning and getting disoriented.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is intentional or not, but if it isn't, a fix would be great. I'm getting used to just using WASD while mounted, but it would be great if I didn't have to switch between WASD and gesture turning.

Thanks!

Also having this issue. And it is really annoying.

Secondly, performance is still beyond poor. My FPS, even with the lowest settings on graphics, sits at around 3-5 and occasionally stops entirely. With the old client it was about 30. I was hoping that with PoF it might have been addressed but it clearly hasn't and, now support for the 32 bit client has been withdrawn, it makes most of the game unplayable. PvP is out, WvW is out, Raids are out, etc. I've posted about this before but there hasn't even been any mention of this being looked into, despite plenty of other people having the same issue, so I have no option but to leave more negative feedback, as much as I would rather not.

@Edwin.4329 said:

@DoktorScience.8674 said:Not sure if this is the best place for this, or if I should make a new thread, but... "Use scrolling gestures to change direction" is not working as I expected it to while mounted. When standing still on a mount, scrolling gestures won't change the mount's direction (but A and D still do) and when unmounted, pressing A or D while moving makes you strafe rather than turn (useful for looking around while moving,) but while mounted A and D still turn so I end up double turning and getting disoriented.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is intentional or not, but if it isn't, a fix would be great. I'm getting used to just using WASD while mounted, but it would be great if I didn't have to switch between WASD and gesture turning.

Thanks!

Also having this issue. And it is really annoying.

Secondly, performance is still beyond poor. My FPS, even with the lowest settings on graphics, sits at around 3-5 and occasionally stops entirely. With the old client it was about 30. I was hoping that with PoF it might have been addressed but it clearly hasn't and, now support for the 32 bit client has been withdrawn, it makes most of the game unplayable. PvP is out, WvW is out, Raids are out, etc. I've posted about this before but there hasn't even been any mention of this being looked into, despite plenty of other people having the same issue, so I have no option but to leave more negative feedback, as much as I would rather not.

Same with me, guys. The camera goes everywhere, really messing up my fighting and mount skills. It really makes playing hard. Without the 32-bit, which was also a disaster for me, it makes WvW and PvP completely unplayable for me. And my performance is still poor, I'm lucky if I can hit the 7 frames. Omg, why is MAC always like this. :(

Just a quick note of thanks from a Mac user (and casual gamer!) to say the work on the 64 bit client is much appreciated.

I played PoF yesterday without issues and the keyboard and instability problems with the client appear to have been addressed. There have been some pretty frustrating times, including the frequent crashes when the 64 bit client was first launched, but I also remember the dark dark days of the 32 bit client regularly snuffing it in Dragon's Stand and the future seems much more pleasing.

I don't know what to say I'm just a casual player , played this evening doing dailies things were smooth as silk, in low populations had a frame rate of mid 20's to mid 30's, only slowed down in high population areas even then was 15-18 fps which isn't good but not too stuttering, played POF and again just depended on screen population

mac pro mid 20123.2 Ghz quad core Xeon16GBRadeon HD 5770 1024 MB

@Frankiefah.4659 said:Here is a link to the 32-bit client. Tested it and works! I think the servers are screwed up right now with the amount of players online (and major other bugs of course). Hope this helps: http://s3.amazonaws.com/gw2cdn/client/branches/Gw2Setup.dmg

I already have the 32-bit client, yet when I open Guild Wars 2 I'm stuck at a perpetual black screen. Everything actually loads though. . .

Ive been having this problem where my dodge is bind to mouse 3 and everytime i dodge, it would zoom in my character. My zoom in and zoom out keybinds are set to my keyboard so i dont know why it zoom in and out using my mouse. Its giving me some trouble most of the time. Wish you could allow us to use the old client :(

It's a pretty horrendous experience so far. Aside from the story instance issues (coming up on 50 hours not being able to do the story), the 64bit client is just bad for me. Loading is ultra slow and it only gets worse the longer I play until I just have to stop because I'm afraid it might fry my laptop.

I keep trying to download the 32-bit client again so I can actually play the game, but the old launcher isn't coming up?

@TheSlothArmada.6709 said:

@Frankiefah.4659 said:Here is a link to the 32-bit client. Tested it and works! I think the servers are screwed up right now with the amount of players online (and major other bugs of course). Hope this helps:

I already have the 32-bit client, yet when I open Guild Wars 2 I'm stuck at a perpetual black screen. Everything actually loads though. . .

@"Jon Olson.8439" said:

We cannot distribute the 32-bit client anymore. Sometimes these things don't happen for technical reasons.

Could you please elaborate on the reasoning behind no longer being able to distribute the 32-bit client? The 64-bit client has taken away the opportunity for players to even access a product that we have purchased (alongside any additional Gemstore purchases and expansions), so simply saying "these things don't happen for technical reasons" but enjoy a broken worse off version of the game, isn't really good enough.

With that said, I am very much grateful for the work that is being put in to make Guild Wars 2 playable for Mac, but I think the developers have really misled us by advertising the 64-bit client as a step-up from what we had been playing before. It doesn't take a technical genius to know that logging into the 64-bit client after having experienced the former version, is most definitely a downgrade.

This was a pretty shady move on behalf of ArenaNet. We have all waited to play the new content in the expansion like everybody else, and yet we are experiencing numerous visual bugs that never existed before, and are unable even make it through loading screens or see the NPCs in and out of instances? In what way is this acceptable?

I was no longer able to use 32bit either. I had to change my ports also. Now I can open GW2 and play which I couldn't do at all a couple days ago. The 64bit I had to download has ruined everything. I had zero problems with 32 until Path of Fire launch, I cannot get NPC's to load, extreme lag, cannot see enemies, quicksand, water, buildings, etc...I just run into invisible walls and after a few minutes a rock will load...it's frustrating. My guildmates are lightyears ahead of me and I'm so far behind wishing I could play the expansion I could just cry

@butch.8136 said:It's a pretty horrendous experience so far. Aside from the story instance issues (coming up on 50 hours not being able to do the story), the 64bit client is just bad for me. Loading is ultra slow and it only gets worse the longer I play until I just have to stop because I'm afraid it might fry my laptop.

yeah, my Mac is getting extremely hot on top of everything else, which is weird

The client is currently working very well for me, except for some rendering issues (ghosts of previous scenery when turning, target circles and some stuff behaving weirdly).That and some problems with turning the camera via touchpad while mounted. For one you can't turn at all when standing still, and sometimes while riding it will stop responding too, in those cases it seems to be fixed by steering with the left or right keys shortly. Had this second issue a lot in the "Enemy of My Enemy: Beastmarshal Oluwa Eranko" instance.But mostly it is running a lot better than the 32-bit client. Great work!!

Specs:MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)Version: macOS 10.12.6Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MBIntel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

@guildwarrior.6304 said:I was no longer able to use 32bit either. I had to change my ports also. Now I can open GW2 and play which I couldn't do at all a couple days ago. The 64bit I had to download has ruined everything. I had zero problems with 32 until Path of Fire launch, I cannot get NPC's to load, extreme lag, cannot see enemies, quicksand, water, buildings, etc...I just run into invisible walls and after a few minutes a rock will load...it's frustrating. My guildmates are lightyears ahead of me and I'm so far behind wishing I could play the expansion I could just cry

I'm with you on that... Still no Developer responses to ANY of this! Even though it has now been days after the expansion dropped and we still can't play any of it! What a joke. It's like they're keeping this HUGE mistake hush hush and pretending it's not even happening. I may actually demand a refund for the various areas of the game I can physically no longer access anymore (which is all of it lol), as they have falsely let us trial out an expansion on the working 32-bit client in the POF demos just so we would buy the damn thing, and then dumped the broken client on us the day of release after having already taken our money!

We've essentially all paid for something we can't even play.

Downloaded the latest patch and have to say performance has really improved. I'm still getting a little bit of chugging, not as much though. I also did a test to see if unplugging my one monitor would have any effect, and it did. Running one monitor at 1920x1200 fullscreen now gives me between 22-45 fps, vs 15-30 before with two 1920x1200 displays. That could be from the client update but I figured it may be because having two monitors plugged in splits the VRam, so only 1gig per display. With one monitor I get the full benefit of the 2gig on the 680 gtx card.

Mac Pro 2x 2.93Ghz48GB ram680 GTX 2GB

Most setting on 'High'.

For anyone having issues that has yet to post their system specs, please do so.

@Talek.6795 said:Jon, can you please specify when could we see the other resolution options in the client?

It's under consideration. No guarantee though.

@cuppscakes.3481 said:With High Sierra out, is there any chance we'll get to see Metal 2 support for some better performance?

While it is possible, it is unlikely.

I'm honestly surprised that people have had such a negative experience with the 64-bit Mac client. I certainly wouldn't say that things have been perfect but I honestly pretty much refused to play the game with the 32-bit one, whilst finding the 64-bit client, whilst certainly not perfect, to actually be a pretty big improvement all things considered. Doesn't run as well as Windows but is definitely playable and having seen the patches I'm genuinely optimistic for the future.

@cuppscakes.3481 said:With High Sierra out, is there any chance we'll get to see Metal 2 support for some better performance?

It doesn't support Metal at all so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting. It uses an OpenGL renderer. It's not impossible that they would add Metal support later but the amount of work required is well, not insignificant.

@HippieJoel. I am delighted we have a native Mac version and I cheer on the efforts to make it better but at the moment it is a dog's breakfast on my system. While the sound and the colours are good and it is mostly stable, it is laggy beyond belief. It is bearable if I am away from other players but as soon as there are players around, it is like a slide show. It is also bad when there is falling snow, or lots of leaves (Caledon is a stuttery mess). Trying to ride my Raptor across a bridge is hilarious as I overcompensate for the lag and bounce into the railings like a drunk. The 32bit version, which still works for me, is smooth in comparison.

I have a fairly good system too. I am on an IMac i7 though it is a late 2012 model. I am not ready to replace it yet though and certainly not if I can't trust that GW2 will be any better on a new system. I wish I could get the 64 bit system to play nicely for me. I really do want it to work.

@Figlilly.3907 said:@HippieJoel. I am delighted we have a native Mac version and I cheer on the efforts to make it better but at the moment it is a dog's breakfast on my system. While the sound and the colours are good and it is mostly stable, it is laggy beyond belief. It is bearable if I am away from other players but as soon as there are players around, it is like a slide show. It is also bad when there is falling snow, or lots of leaves (Caledon is a stuttery mess). Trying to ride my Raptor across a bridge is hilarious as I overcompensate for the lag and bounce into the railings like a drunk. The 32bit version, which still works for me, is smooth in comparison.

I have a fairly good system too. I am on an IMac i7 though it is a late 2012 model. I am not ready to replace it yet though and certainly not if I can't trust that GW2 will be any better on a new system. I wish I could get the 64 bit system to play nicely for me. I really do want it to work.

I echo this.I still exclusively use the 64-bit for now because i want the crash reports to help its development but it's insanely laggy. Everything else about it I really enjoy.

For those wondering why they can't distribute the 32-bit wrapper client any more, it could be because of legal/licence reasons. The company (TransGaming) that created the wrapper system (Cider) sold their tech assets to other companies like Nvidia and became a real estate finance company instead (Findev). I'd imagine that companies like Arenanet had a licence to use Cider that they can't renew because it's no longer offered as a product.

Even if that's not the reason (but it seems to be something along those lines because it's been said several times that it's not currently a technical issue), now that Cider is no longer available it's only a matter of time before an update to macOS or something else breaks it in a way that can't be fixed, so the only path forward is developing a native client, even if that's painful in the meantime.