PingPlotter results look awful..

I saw some people saying to use PingPlotter to check your connection for issues. The past few days the lag and disconnects have been so awful I can't even play the game. I only get this problem with this game though, I typed /ip in open world to get the map ip, then did the trace thing on PingPlotter, I got what looked like awful results though, bad ping and serious packet loss. I don't understand what it means though or how to read it, can someone help though, I dunno what else to do.

https://i.imgur.com/VttX23g.jpg

I don't want to say anything absolute but it seems you had an occasion where you spiked on your own LAN. How long has it been since it happened and the screenshot, i cannot tell. Third domain which registers a packet loss too ...i bet that's your isp and obviously not the backbone yet. BUT, watch your own LAN first before you call your isp.When you're reading tracerts like these, it's best to follow the top most or rather earliest possible point of error because anything that follows can register a delay or a packetloss due to the preceeding node.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Like many players with connection issues, the problems seem to start at Tier 1 backbone.You can call your ISP and ask them to contact the provider, or 'Submit a Ticket' to the CS Team and ask the Team to do the same.

Or, just wait it out and hope the Tier 1 issue is fixed within a reasonable period of time.

Good luck.

Who is CS team? Also I don't really understand much about this, what do you mean by Tier 1 Backbone?

@godofcows.2451 said:I don't want to say anything absolute but it seems you had an occasion where you spiked on your own LAN. How long has it been since it happened and the screenshot, i cannot tell. Third domain which registers a packet loss too ...i bet that's your isp and obviously not the backbone yet. BUT, watch your own LAN first before you call your isp.When you're reading tracerts like these, it's best to follow the top most or rather earliest possible point of error because anything that follows can register a delay or a packetloss due to the preceeding node.

How do I go about doing the things you said? What do you mean by spiked my LAN, I'm dumb and don't understand a lot. Also, this issue used to be super rare, it would happen every maybe 10-15 hours of gameplay i'd lag out, now it is happening every 1 hour or so

@godofcows.2451 is saying that there might be a problem before your signal leaves your house's Local Area Network (i.e. _LAN) because Step (1) shows packet loss.Sometimes small early packet losses are compounded along the route, so a little at home snowballs into what looks like a big drop later.

tl;dr double check how you connect at home.g. if using wireless, try going wired or restart your router or check who else might be using it (if you share a connection)

Later @Inculpatus cedo.9234 is recommending that you share the information with Customer Service, as they are able to help you track down and address a variety of connectivity issues.The biggest jump, notes @Inculpatus cedo.9234, is at step 8, which is not ANet's ISP nor yours; it's a "backbone service," sort of the "ISP of ISPs." As illustrated in the PingPlotter chart, there's a lot of internet between you (step 1) and ANet (step 17). There are packet losses at several steps before the signal even gets to ANet's ISP.

tl;dr contact ANet; they'll help

• 2 weeks later...

@crepuscular.9047 said:there's nothing Anet can do about the routing path your ISP rents, in fact, Anet can't even do anything about their servers' hardware infrastructure, because they are on AWS

@crepuscular.9047 said:there's nothing Anet can do about the routing path your ISP rents, in fact, Anet can't even do anything about their servers' hardware infrastructure, because they are on AWS

That is not entirely true.They can not help an individual with issues. But they can gather complaints from a few dozen customers, all with the same ISP or backbone and contact the ISP on their behalf. They can contact Amazon customer support about issues with AWS. They might not have direct control, but they can help in trying toget it solved. There is however a big difference in responsability.

Arenanet is responsable for the behaviour of the server and how it is connected to the internet. They have hired Amazon to do the job for them, but they still are accountable for it. They are not responsable for issues further down the line. the route taken and the home internet connection are the responsability of the customer and the ISP they hired to be connected to the internet. Fur us as a customer, we can hold the ISP accountable for this.

For both issues Arenanet has an interest in helping to get it resolved, so contacting CS always helps.