Suggestion: Only 1 Combo Field Visible

Loboling.5293

Hey everyone,

I've had some time to play around with the new visuals and changes to combo fields. And I'd like to suggest a change to greatly improve visual clutter. 

I believe that only the active field should have a visual ring around it. That way, when you blast or leap, you know exactly which combo field is going to be combo'ed with. 

I repeat, only the currently active field will maintain it's AOE ring. (The new animation they changed last update) This visual display will be player specific, given the new changes. So you can essentially suppress all visual rings, by placing your own. Or simply see only the oldest one. (Which is the active one) 

What does everyone think of this change? 

Let me know and let's get our voices heard. AOE clutterkitten is one of the bad parts of gw2. Let's simplify the visuals to only show important information. 

Edited by Loboling.5293

I already posted when this change came into effect. I had such a bad time with visual overload in a zerg when the patch dropped that I didn't log into the game for a week, having previously played hours every day for monhts. Now I log in again but stay away from zergs. Just can't take the visual noise, it's too much. The new fields just pushed it over the edge for me.

When you cannot see the enemies that you fight because of the visuals, that tells you it's bad, not fun at all in that respect. Any a-list game simply should have option to adjust or turn off visual effects. For health reasons if nothing else.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Val.3207 said:

I already posted when this change came into effect. I had such a bad time with visual overload in a zerg when the patch dropped that I didn't log into the game for a week, having previously played hours every day for monhts. Now I log in again but stay away from zergs. Just can't take the visual noise, it's too much. The new fields just pushed it over the edge for me.

When you cannot see the enemies that you fight because of the visuals, that tells you it's bad, not fun at all in that respect. Any a-list game simply should have option to adjust or turn off visual effects. For health reasons if nothing else.

Yeah, there are plenty of threads on this issue as well as posts in the QoL thread.  Apparently, ANet wants to keep things as they are.

What is the "active field"?

Do you mean the one your character is standing in, or where your combo finisher will land? How would leaps and ground targeted combos work with such a change?  Some leaps like scrapper rocket charge can go through multiple fields as the character is moving through them.

I also find myself often standing in a combo field to use finishers while tossing a healing bomb or some other targeted finisher into another combo field, wouldn't this change hide one of the fields from showing up?

• Like 1

Some good questions, the main thing I'd like is that only active fields are displayed. So if you leap through 6 different fields at once, the border color will only indicate the active one. 

For those that aren't aware, if you leap through 2 fields, only 1 will cause a leap finisher effect. 

My suggestion is the borders only show up for active fields. Basically if you put down a field, and tons of others get stacked on top, until it's effect fades, it remains the only one with a visual border. The rest of the skill animation remains. But the new border they added will only show up if active. (So once the overlapping fields vanish that were placed first)

It's not like there aren't issues with this suggestion. But I'm totally unable to see anything in big fights in this game. It's kind of absurd how bad this game looks in zerg situations. 

Maybe if this was a setting, people could choose if they only want to see the active fields (the ones you can leap or blast) or if they want to see all the fields in their multicolor glory.