Thief Utility Skills

Crymsyn.5037

So I recently unlocked my first points to get skills but have noticed most of the thief's skills are less damage focused...So my question is what are some good Utility skills...I'm focusing on dual daggers and a bow for now though plan to go for Daredevil (I'm always loved Monk/Martial artist type classes so that's why I plan to go for that since its got that vibe.) Normally I'd go for whatever had the most damage skill wise but since I only noticed one or two that had damage I was wondering what skills were seen as good for a thief!

2 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

So I recently unlocked my first points to get skills but have noticed most of the thief's skills are less damage focused...So my question is what are some good Utility skills...I'm focusing on dual daggers and a bow for now though plan to go for Daredevil (I'm always loved Monk/Martial artist type classes so that's why I plan to go for that since its got that vibe.) Normally I'd go for whatever had the most damage skill wise but since I only noticed one or two that had damage I was wondering what skills were seen as good for a thief!

Honestly, just try everything.  It's a long road to daredevil.  You'll die a lot until you stop dying so much and hopefully you'll be having fun by that point.  There may be an objectively best thief by the numbers but that doesn't mean you'll enjoy playing it. 

• Like 2

Try everything. You'll be able to unlock it all by the time you hit level 80, and you need 100% of the core profession unlocked before you take the especs.

If you're having trouble surviving, make sure you have a stun break skill (Shadowstep combines a stun break, a teleport, and condition cleansing — it's incredibly good); Smoke Screen is great defense against piles of enemies, too.

If you want more damage, you can put Signet of Agility and Assassin's Signet on your bar. They give you passive stat buffs and you can use their activated ability for more survival and more burst damage (usually during breakbar phases), respectively.

• Like 1

Stay clear of the venoms/preparations they're not easy to make the most of in open world and beginner content when you don't know what you're doing. There is some neat and very useful skills in there but in terms of pick up and learn quickly your Deception and Trick skills offer you the immediately useful skills that you can understand how to make useful fairly quickly. Signets are all pretty good too but I wouldn't unlock them all first.

For heals Signet of Malice (which might be the beginner heal idk) can help keep you alive without having to think about it just put it on and don't touch it. Hide in Shadows is also a good heal, the other two not as much.

If you have a lot of hero points you can't use otherwise or you've already filled out a few trait lines then that's a good time to explore preparations and venoms.

4 hours ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

Also there are plenty of skills that add power, precision, fury, quickness, etc.  So you say no damaging skills but all those add to your weopons skills, and autos attack (usefulness).  The utilities are just that, use them as such.  

What I would recommend is:

Shadowstep

Roll for Initiative 

Smoke Screen

Daggerstorm

if you are just starting out. These would be perfect. Gives you chances to fight up close via (smokescreen) and learn the class better without fearing much hp loss. You’ll also have access to 2 break stuns  (shadow step and roll for initiative) and daggerstorm is another forgiving utility skill (elite) that you can use either to reflect projectiles or use the small amount of extra speed you get from it to disengage. 

Edited by AikijinX.6258