Cant enable DX11

DoGi.2159

If you're launching the game with -sharearchive (commonly used to run multiple clients), GW2 is in read-only mode and won't save your "local" settings, which includes the DX11 option. You can alternatively use the -dx11 command line option to force it.

Edited by Healix.5819

41 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

If you're launching the game with -sharearchive (commonly used to run multiple clients), GW2 is in read-only mode and won't save your "local" settings, which includes the DX11 option. You can alternatively use the -dx11 command line option to force it.

I tried that -dx11 and nothing happens to show it is even active. My performance is horrible so I am assuming it doesn't work.

20 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I tried that -dx11 and nothing happens to show it is even active.

Using -dx11 should force GW2 to use DX11, but it won't show it as enabled in the options.

There doesn't seem to be a simple way to check the DX version, so you'd either need to use other software or you could simply crash the game and check the log for either d3d9.dll or d3d11.dll. To crash the game, get to character select, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open the task manager, select the details tab, then find and kill CoherentUI_Host.exe.

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

Using -dx11 should force GW2 to use DX11, but it won't show it as enabled in the options.

There doesn't seem to be a simple way to check the DX version, so you'd either need to use other software or you could simply crash the game and check the log for either d3d9.dll or d3d11.dll. To crash the game, get to character select, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open the task manager, select the details tab, then find and kill CoherentUI_Host.exe.

Thank you for this tip. i will try this and look for those logs.

6 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I crashed the game  but don't know how to find these logs or see if dx11 was enabled.

When the game crashes, it should show an error reporting window - click show details to see the log. Crashes are also logged to ArenaNet.log under %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

When the game crashes, it should show an error reporting window - click show details to see the log. Crashes are also logged to ArenaNet.log under %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/

Thank you, I found this in the crash log.

00007FFE45F10000 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll

That has to be it.

15 minutes ago, DoGi.2159 said:

OK i have a solution.

In graphic settings you CANT have set autodetect.

Then and only then Dx11 works.

I think this was the problem. Thank you.

1 minute ago, mlvDeer.4723 said:

Changing either in game DX11 check box + restart, or using -dx11 command line it never sticks the game always starts with DX9. No crashes but just no DX11.

Changing changing graphics setting to best performance and then running GW2 as administrator. I noticed it worked after doing that. I don't know if either or both was the reason.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

Changing changing graphics setting to best performance and then running GW2 as administrator. I noticed it worked after doing that. I don't know if either or both was the reason.

Thank you that worked.

And when I forced the game to crash I see d3d11.dll in the list (d3d9.dll is also listed). 

But the game looks like crap. I will wait for a RC version 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Hello all, I have a message from James Fulop, our Senior Engine Programmer:

Thank you for raising this. We have confirmed that if you use "Autodetect" for Graphics Options it will "uncheck" you from the DirectX11 Beta. We will fix this in a future update.

I get the feeling that the graphics file created from selecting auto-detect is missing a line that is able to set dx11 on or off.

• 11 months later...