WvW need a new scoring system because

SweetPotato.7456

I think you meant a new system for winning, any type of scoring system would be a problem as long as sides are uneven in a long duration match. Which is practically every every moment outside of reset, coverage will always be an issue. Scoring works in solo settings, in sports team settings, in arena settings(spvp), in battleground settings(5v5 10v10 15v15 etc), when you can evenly manage and enforce how many are involved per side from start to finish. We can put in handicaps or bonuses to try and even points gain per situations, but that isn't going to be fair to one party or another.

Practically every other rvr game uses a conquest method instead, not a scoring system, mind you they also don't run server vs server systems so there wasn't a need to also rank servers by it's entire performance, but just the individual sides, which is pretty much done already with skirmish mode.

Conquest systems have meaning in being able to conquer your enemy entirely as the motivation, for the wvw points system there's no meaning to it other than rewards as the motivation, something they have a hard time implementing and balancing and have to resort to time gates. Winning to get your server at a certain rank like tier 1 means nothing, you get nothing, especially after nine years it's been there done that. If anet wants to keep the points system, they are first going to have to give meaning to rewards(the motivation) for winning to give meaning in earning points. I hope at some point they also just move into a season tournament format, no more random matchups with 1u1d or losing so you drop in tiers, set matches to face everyone at least once and then determine a winner from the points then, and give a special reward for it, that isn't going to screw up the gw2 economy that they're always trying to keep in check by starving wvw so much.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:11 PM, Daredevil.2745 said:

This guy is from Tarnished Coast btw, he is discouraged to play at certain few hours when enemies have equal numbers with TC.

Yeah, this is kind of weird.  The problem isn't the offhours where we score low, the problem is we shouldn't be able to ppt so high.  That's what is wrong with the system.  Granted, I play most of the week, at all times of the day, so the difference doesn't bother me as much.  Really wish they would just get rid of ppt altogether and just make kills the determining factor for winning.  It would move the big blobs to the higher tiers and move the smaller servers to the bottom to face each other.  It doesn't solve population imbalance or time zone differences, but at least the smaller server would face a smaller server and the stacks would face stacks.

3 minutes ago, Zikory.6871 said:

Literally in the part of the comment you decided to not quote...

okaay..

Group strength differences, whether it be numbers or "skill" 

It must be this then? I don't see that as a problem. What's curious is that you seem to suggest that "Alliances" are part of the problem and not a solution.

26 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

okaay..

It must be this then? I don't see that as a problem. What's curious is that you seem to suggest that "Alliances" are part of the problem and not a solution.

Not sure why this is so perplexing. Neither a new scoring system or alliances incentives players to play any different then they are now. Why would I start caring about score when I only log on to fight other groups? Why would I start caring about PPT once population is changed with alliances, just means I should have more even access to players to fight. 

I don't understand how people look at one thing and think it will fix a bunch of stuff. In a better world, WvW would have the dev resources to look at more then 1 problem at a time. 

Imo game play and player interaction is by far the most important part of the game mode. It's why a lot of are still playing after 9 years. Stuff like Alliances and rewards are just fluff that are good but not the core of the game mode.