Do you have to buy each Living World episode with gems separately?

Hey all,

Either I'm being blind OR the Guild Wars 2 Website is extremely unintuitive and is hiding this OR my eyes are not deceiving me and there is no way of buying ALL living world chapters as one bundle and you have to pay 200 gems per chapter. I bought Path of Fire which seems to include some chapters from Icebrood Saga but there are also some of those which I appear to have to purchase separately and it all comes to a grand total of 5000 gems which is £60 ($81) which is a LOT of money!

Am I being dense and missing something here?

Cheers,

SteveyP.

• Like 2

You buy the bundles, but don't buy them all at once.

Each Living World season offers new farming methods and by the time you complete all the content in one season you'll have the gold to buy the next without using real money. Only buy them all with gems and rush through them if its something you can actually afford, as its completely unnecessary expendature.

For example, after playing LWS2 you can safely access Silverwastes without spoilers and make 20g/hr just by running around tagging events and opening chests in a RIBA map, often found under the LFG in Central Tyria->Squads, then you right-click and join a squadmate in the map.

It takes only a few days of farming like this to purchase LWS3, not counting the gold you'll get from Heart of Thorns, which also has meta trains going nearly all the time (LFG + Guild Wars 2 Wiki->Event Timers).

Expansions are the only content you absolutely must purchase with real money. This is why the expansions and LW seasons are kept separate. Plus future LW seasons unlock for you for free by logging in; Path of Fire didn't come with IceBrood Saga, you unlocked it by logging in while it was live.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

You buy the bundles, but don't buy them all at once.

Each Living World season offers new farming methods and by the time you complete all the content in one season you'll have the gold to buy the next without using real money. Only buy them all with gems and rush through them if its something you can actually afford, as its completely unnecessary expendature.

For example, after playing LWS2 you can safely access Silverwastes without spoilers and make 20g/hr just by running around tagging events and opening chests in a RIBA map, often found under the LFG in Central Tyria->Squads, then you right-click and join a squadmate in the map.

It takes only a few days of farming like this to purchase LWS3, not counting the gold you'll get from Heart of Thorns, which also has meta trains going nearly all the time (LFG + Guild Wars 2 Wiki->Event Timers).

Expansions are the only content you absolutely must purchase with real money. This is why the expansions and LW seasons are kept separate. Plus future LW seasons unlock for you for free by logging in; Path of Fire didn't come with IceBrood Saga, you unlocked it by logging in while it was live.

No need to play Living World Season Two before accessing The Silverwastes.  You could earn your Gold there to purchase Living World Season Two! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Living World stuff needs to be bought - unless you played (logged in) when the episode was new (at it's release and a few weeks after that I think). Exception the recent events months ago that made us replay the older stuff - where people could get those episodes for free if logging in and receiving their ingame mail.

There are season bundles - that might be cheaper. I especially recommend to watch for them on sale and not buy them all at once. Personally I played in release order (first bought S2, then played it, then played HoT, then bought S3) ... and bought it slowly. To make sure that I still want to play GW2. (Buying all at once and realizing that you get bored ... wanting to play other games instead - would be bad.)

Recommended for most players though: S4 - because you need it for the "best" mount in the game: Skyscale.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Living World stuff needs to be bought - unless you played (logged in) when the episode was new (at it's release and a few weeks after that I think). Exception the recent events months ago that made us replay the older stuff - where people could get those episodes for free if logging in and receiving their ingame mail.

There are season bundles - that might be cheaper. I especially recommend to watch for them on sale and not buy them all at once. Personally I played in release order (first bought S2, then played it, then played HoT, then bought S3) ... and bought it slowly. To make sure that I still want to play GW2. (Buying all at once and realizing that you get bored ... wanting to play other games instead - would be bad.)

Recommended for most players though: S4 - because you need it for the "best" mount in the game: Skyscale.

Yes, one needs to acquire Living World Season Two for the Story, but one does not need to acquire Living World Season Two before entering Dry Top and The Silverwastes, where one can earn the Gold to exchange for Gems for said Living World Season(s).  Those maps come included with the Core game. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Living world is free to any player that logs in when its active.  You don't you pay for it with gems. to be honest people are lucky to be able to repeat anything for living world, because it was huge, all over the map, and was designed to be played in the now like real life.  If you missed a day in season 1 that day was lost never to be repeated on any character.  People complained and that changed season 2 so it could be repeatable on all your characters.  One catch though you must log in during that episodes release if you are not playing for any reason they want to charge for it.  To be honest the gems for gold deal is still free for an episode.  if you use money for gems to get them wait they do bundle them and lower the price a bit. 

Anet has given away so far, the core game, [HoT  if you purchase PoF] , Last thing was the $99 sale on core game, HoT, PoF, and EoD.  I cost me for each $99 for core game and hot, $79 each for PoF and EoD. so newer players are lucky to get such a deal.

Is it worth it yes GW2 is fun its like that old song used to say take a trip and never leave the farm.

Edited by Chyanne Waters.8719
  • Confused 1