Coming back, class question

Eliam.3716

Came back and got the boost and tried it on Rev, not for me.  Played a Necro before and left right after HoT.  Currently trying a Warrior and seems a bit boring, so thinking about a Thief but seems they are not wanted in PVE endgame much.  Mainly like solo open world and some group content.  

don’t do well with high apm type of classes in any mmo, don’t mind learning a rotation but Rev seemed really high end button mashing and not sure what I was even doing.

hate dying to content and just want to be able to complete content, not elite or top of the top but reasonable content.

thief able to achieve this or stick with warrior or something else?

36 minutes ago, Eliam.3716 said:

With Eod (which will be released somewhen in February they said) thief will get a great elite spec for viability in grp content and endgame. The sustain is also pretty good on that e spec. So unless specter will get extremely nerfed, you will have a spec with viability and sustain.  

Daredevil gains sustain due to dodges. It also can hit multiple targets so I think you will get an "Okay join" from most groups. Its selfish dps but if you bring dps you will be welcomed. 

Deadeye currently has some viability problems in pve (imo) because its mostly single target and brings no really good sustain. In my eyes it is worse than daredevil almost everywhere and thats sad. I am not saying that daredevil is op. It just does almost all things better than deadeye if it comes to pve. 

However I think you will have a great time with specter but there is 1 problem: the button smashing. The thing is that it gets 5 bonus skills because of the e spec mechanic. Means you have weapon swap and 5 bonus skills. And if you have problems with revenant idk if that could maybe be a problem too. 

But i think it wont be a problem if you play it a few weeks. 

However i think specter will be good with almost all of your points. 

That is my opinion at least. 

Tho i think that necro Was also fitting with most of ur points. 

Guardian could maybe be also something for u. Its not button smashing and is viable literally everywhere. 

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

There is a great build for Rev, that I have tried and really like and not a lot of button smashing. https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Revenant_-_LI_Torment. With all builds I generally got to HoT areas to test how good I will survive with the build. I was unable to solo 3 Champions,  the rest I was able to solo without any issues. Runes of Torment are needed for this build but may take some time to get. 

Gear was all exotics. 

Edited by dmone.5631
  • Like 4

Honestly, unless you are doing serious raiding with a min/max group you can make any class work for you in open world content. I would suggest playing around with all classes that you find interesting in the pvp lobby. Just make a lvl1 thief or w/e, go to the mists and you will be max level with everything unlocked. This way you can test the actual gameplay of the build on the various golems and npcs to see if you like it. Enjoyment beats performance (again, unless in a serious T4 fractal, raid, ect). Warriors have a super easy rotation, deal great damage and are really useful for group content, but you find them boring to play, so they might fit your criteria but are you willing to play something that you don't enjoy?

Also, keep in mind that some of the elite specs are very transformative. You mentioned that you played Rev- the herald power sword build has a very different playstyle compared to the condi renegade. I'd suggest that you give the rev a further look, especially the condi shortbow build. It has a pretty easy rotation and I faceroll everything (you also use just shortbow, so no need to switch weapons). 

As for your thief question- the staff power daredevil is meta for all high end instanced content. The staff really ruins the thief easthetic for me so I don't like it at all, but it is super powerful and you shouldn't have troubles finding groups. 

My personal recommendation would be the trapper dragonhunter (https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_Power_Greatsword). All you have to do is place your traps, spin with your sword and everything will be dead before you even finish "your rotation" (if you are looking for a lower intensity build you can just ignore the second weapon set and stick with greatsword only). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to just give Rev another honest try then.

I do not have Renegade yet, so would that LI build be a good one until then? Open to other core build suggestions.

Appreciate all the feedback

Edited by Eliam.3716
Formatting

Rev has a literal "toggle this on and autoattack" build that does kinda nice DPS. Good for getting used to the class and slowly optimizing yourself into a more optimal playstyle.

Power rev isn't as button-mashy as condi. It is rather "comf" in that regard. Condi requires an exact tempo and specific rotation to get good results.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eliam.3716 said:

For common OW PVE I think you should choose prof/spec that you like the most (in terms of playstyle). The more specific options make sense only for Champ/Bounty solo content.

• Like 1

You can try a ranger with a condi shortbow soulbeast build. No weapon swapping, a bit of a whack-a-mole "rotation", but it can be reduced to literally 1 button at about 1k sustained DPS loss if you swap one trait and have programmable gaming peripherals. You can play that ranged, have fairly high mobility, and do more damage than most people, and with much less effort than most builds (both thief elite specs might have this build beat in terms of simplicity though). Survivability is also pretty good, because you get a ton of passive healing and your healing skill has just a 16s cooldown. You also provide unique buffs from stances via a trait that shares the effects of your stances with the group, which will continue to scale even if there are other soulbeasts in the group using that trait (as long as you don't always use those skills at the same time). At a small loss to personal DPS you can also provide spirits to give more support if there is no druid in the group. Theoretically you can also provide spotter, but that's better left to power soulbeasts, because that would actually be a more significant DPS loss for you.

The only downside is that you have to flank the target to reach full potential (about 5-6k DPS loss if you're not flanking), but that is usually not that big of a problem, because there aren't many fights where you're forced to always be in front of your target.

Edited by Sindust.7059

Revenant is about balancing energy use/consumption.  I personally run the same power alacrity Renegade build in open-world PvE, raids, fractals, strikes, and dungeons.  I have modified the metabattle build so that I can run marauder's armor and still hit 100% up-time on alacrity and still have a hit crit chance and crit damage.  With getting celestial armor and trinkets that you get with the level 80 booster, you are all set for a condition Renegade build. 

You can learn a lot about how to run/manage revenant just from watching a couple of videos on it.  I like Nike!'s and MightyTeapot's build videos for both Renegade and Herald - the key to watch is the power management, so even an old video is worthwhile.

• Like 2