Looking at returning.

Hello, everyone.  I’ve had an off again/on again relationship with GW2 ever since release.  I just don’t think I’ve found the right combination to ‘click.’  But, with finances being a thing (hours being cut at work), an MMO without a monthly fee catches my eye yet again, lol.

That said, I’ve played MMOs for a long time (WoW since Vanilla, FFXIV since release, and slews of others).  I tend to tank usually, and when I DPS, I prefer ones that can hold their own.  I’ve been going through some of the build sites, and both Power Daredevil and the Barrier Bruiser Scrapper hold my attention.  

With my preclusion to tanking and DPS that are sustainable, would either of those two seem to be up my alley?  I’m aware that the Daredevil requires paying attention to manually dodge attacks, and if it gets caught can fold, and that the Scrapper is an interesting amalgamation, but those two really seem to catch me.

I intend mostly to solo, but grouping when I can, dungeons, etc.  Any feedback would be wonderful and appreciated!

Thief and Engineer are both very fun classes, but it sounds like Scrapper is what you're looking for.  You can wear pure dps gear on a Scrapper and survive in solo open world and story modes due to the scrappers ability to convert damage into barrier, which is basically an absorb shield.  You can also support your dungeon groups fantastically as a scrapper. 

• Like 1

One thing is that 'tanking' WoW-style translates into 'death wish' in GW2 parlance. That's a feature, not a bug. GW2 has been explicitly designed around not having tanks or healers. (Healers are a thing in this game, but that is a different story.)

I am a diletante, unfamiliar with daredevil, but yes, scrapper does appear more up your alley. If it is melee sustain you are looking for, reaper or herald come to my mind as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1