How do I farm all of these? New to the game.

First of all, farming specific resources is not the best way to go in this game. Most loot is spread so you get a lot of different stuff all the time, that is useful for different projects.

To figure out where to get stuff, check the wiki. It has extensive information on pretty much anything you can find in game.

As a rough guideline, obsidian shards can be bought for karma in the Straits of Devastation, occasionally drop from chests in the Silverwastes, are rewards in most (all?) wvw and pvp reward tracks, and more.

Globs of dark matter are a (not guaranteed) salvage reward from high-level exotic equipment.

Empyrial fragments, dragonite ore, and bloodstone dust drop from different sources all over the game, e.g. champion bags (bloodstone dust), jumping puzzle reward chests (fragments), or world boss reward chests (dragonite) among other sources.

You will find that none of these materials drops in large quantities, but all drop from different sources that add up just while playing. I suppose you have checked your material storage to see if you've already got some of the stuff you need?

By the way, except for fractals (that drop enough ascended boxes on the way through the tiers that you can usually deck out your character(s) without crafting) you are totally fine with exotic equipment. If you want a word of advice, don't give yourself the headache of trying to farm materials that aren't meant to be farmed. Imo you're much better off spending your time exploring the game and honing your player skill, since that has a much bigger impact on what you'll be able to do in game than ascended equipment ever will have.

• Like 2

I am a Ranger, and I'm currently running lvl 80 exotic gear with power, ferocity and precision, being power the greater one. All my accessories also give these boons? Is that alright, then? I am really interested in ascended gear, do you advise doing fractals or anything like that? It's just that right now I just want to get good gear in order to reach the high tier fractals. I have all crafting materials but these that require to be obtained manually.

That gear (berserker stats) is great if you built for direct (power) damage and are satisfied with your survivability.

Ascended gear is needed for higher tier fractals not because of its (slightly) higher stats than exotics, but because it has infusion slots where you can slot agony infusions. Agony is a fractal-specific mechanic that damages you unless you have enough resistance (through the mentioned infusions). The higher the fractal level (starting at level 20), the more resistance you need to negate the effects of agony.

You have a chance to drop ascended equipment in fractals, and can buy ascended rings (that you can infuse and attune for additional infusion slots) with fractal currency. The natural progression is to play lower fractals, use your currency to get your rings of choice (up to 6 infusion slots from 2 rings) and agony infusions, then branch out from there either with lucky drops, crafting (with materials you gained from fractals and other places), or fractal vendors .

If you are open to different kinds of instanced content, you can also buy ascended equipment from raids and strike missions (all links are examples, check the wiki for additional vendors). There's also ways to buy ascended equipment for wvw and pvp currencies, gain pieces from achievement/collection rewards, and more. If you haven't done so, check the wiki on ascended equipment for a full overview.

• Like 1

You will get an abundance of those materials just as you play. Most of those are on my trash list since I have more than enough for a life time. 

If youre unfamiliar with those my advice would be to postpone ascended gear for now, you have a lot still to explore young one. Its just marginally better compared to exotics and you wont even notice.

• Like 2

Do you have access to season 3 and 4? If so, they are great ways to get ascended trinkets. All of them are stat-selectable, meaning you can choose the stats you want, except for the 2 new ones released with EoD, which, if you stay on Berserker (power, precision, ferocity), shouldn't be a problem. 

In season 3 each map has a currency you can farm, and you can trade those for a selection of trinkets; rings, accessoiries, backpacks and amulets. Some maps have all of them, some only a few. The best way is to check which map has the best farm effort/currency to trinket ratio for the one you want. For example: a backpiece in Siren's Landing (season 3) only costs karma and the map currency (Orrian Pearl). On another map it will be map currency + unbound magic. If you go for the backpack in Siren's Landing you save the unbound magic for other trinkets that don't have a currency + karma option. 

Season 4 works mostly the same with map currency but with volatile instead of unbound magic. Season 4 ties in nicely with Icebrood Saga's Bjora Marches (season 5) map as that map drops a lot of  Eternal Ice Shards which can be converted into season 4 currencies. Bjora also has an accessoiry and amulet itself which sells for currency + karma.

A great way to boost your currency in those maps is to look at the ''Return to'' achievements and do those for each map until you get to the currency reward. You can get up to about 500 of a currency depending on the episode. That is usually enough for a trinket or 2. You do have to get enough unbound/volatile magic though, which you get by playing the maps. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket#Trinkets_with_selectable_prefixes scan here for the season 3, 4, 5 trinkets. 

Someone already mentioned fractals, raids and strikes, so I won't go into those. 

As for crafting, check the crafting npc's for recipes, and then use the crafting menu to figure out what resources you need. Then you can set about getting the materials you need in a more focused direction. Use the google/wiki if you don't know how to get a certain recipe. 

Sorry for the wall of text, hope it helps. Good luck!

Edited by Sigerk.2897
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 12:53 AM, ian.8439 said:

On my way to Ascended gear, how do I farm these? The game is overwhelming to me so I would appreciate something well explained for beginners.

https://ibb.co/9bwr4Dz (image uploaded to imgbb)

You can use the Wiki (link above and/or type /Wiki [topic of choice] in the chat panel) to find the methods for acquiring most anything in-game.