Thoughts on Virtuoso after 2 weeks.

Veprovina.4876

17 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

I still havent found a reason to bring virtuoso over mirage in open world, perhaps someone can link me a solo build for open world so i can see what people enjoy about it.

Here, try this, i just switched to that from the mismatched build from before. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAgyFOWXpxdA-zxQYhwBtjO07ZEhKoCpgiPBBsHeA-e

Crit procs bleeding, bleedings stocks blades, then you do bladesongs... Not much to it, it's ok for OW. 

Utilities optional. I use Blade Rain, Thousand Cuts and Psychic force.

17 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

Literally the post you quoted.

I wouldn't consider Virtuoso let alone Mesmer in WvW...”

It was obviously not referred to your argument 😉

@Veprovina.4876 was correct; I don't play Mesmer in WvW because I personally don't enjoy it, or haven't thus far.  I spend a lot of time on Tempest in that game mode, sometimes Firebrand.  I am sure there are viable and fun Mesmer builds for WvW, it would be hard to know with the constant whining about Mesmers by Mesmers though.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

I still havent found a reason to bring virtuoso over mirage in open world, perhaps someone can link me a solo build for open world so i can see what people enjoy about it.

I can't say I actually enjoy Virtuoso (it has been fine and fun, but no 'kitten yeah!' moments) but I have been playing it exclusively in PvE content since EoD launch to get a feel for all it's goodness.

The build I have settled into currently is a Condi Hybrid as I am trying to sort out the most effective use for Jagged Mind + Bloodsong Traits.  This pairing of traits forms the engine for stocking blades and chaining Bladesongs.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiABg2hrllyWZssWmLe8XtxfA-zxQY1onLsEkXZEXKERF45A-e

Some thoughts:

Since I play Solo OW and like to take on Champ Bounties or other difficult challenges, I tend to make builds with some sustain or tankiness.  This build does have a mix of defensive and utility traits and skills for this reason, and it is not built to top DPS numbers.

I am using Celestial as a base with Rampager's gear along with Rune of the Thief to push to 100% Crit with Fury.  While Celestial does help with solo tanking multiple mobs, the final build may call for different gear and runes.  Rune of the Krait is the obvious one to test with, and I did in an earlier Marauder version of this build to mixed effect.

I am using Sigil of Earth for the On Crit Bleed which adds to the Blade generation.  This may not be impactful enough but it does push to keep your Bladesongs on CD.

Trait variations could include swapping Sharpening Sorrow with Duelist's Reversal in Virtuoso.  Illusionary Defense with Method of Madness and Chaos Potency with Auspicious Anguish in Chaos.  I feel these may offer different playstyle choices that suit different players or game situations.

Master Fragmentation and Bountiful Disillusionment are the payoff for chaining Bladesongs.  However, Maim the Disillusioned makes up 10-15% of DPS on Golem....that either speaks to how strong that Trait is, or how weak the overall build is (some numbers below).

With the Utilities, I found Twin Blade restoration to be more comfortable over Signet of the Ether.  I can pop it on CD to gain a bunch of boons and stock some blades and more bleeds.  Thousand Cuts is still pretty meh but it does feed the blade engine when it can be used effectively, there isn't really a better option for Solo OW.  The rest of the Utilities could be swapped out for Signet of Domination and Signet of Midnight, which may be the correct choice in the long run.  I do like Sword of Decimation for Crowd Immob (and more blades) but Psychic Force could be traded easily enough.  Rain of Swords feels like a must have for this build.

I have just run some DPS Golem benchmarks.  Small hitbox, 1 million health, no additional boons just self buffing standing in melee range.  Average 7500 DPS with 10k spikes, or with Signet of Domination and Midnight, 7900 DPS with similar 10k spikes.

35% of DPS from Bleeding
15% from Torment
10% from Bladecall
10% from Bladesong Harmony.
8% from Flying Cutter (AA)

In open world, this translates to about 5-6k DPS with the same 9-10k spikes on a single target, once you factor in movement and non-DPS skills being used.  Fully buffed in say an Open World Meta, I have hit 20k DPS on bosses with this build.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, Gwynnion.7364 said:

Thanks for one of the more even-handed reviews on here.

A lot of people seem to hate Virtuoso because it has no clones, which are only really useful for shattering anyway or for Mirage and Infinite Horizon, while also insisting it doesn't change enough from core Mesmer, which seems kinda bizarre to me.

Virtuoso's problem, as you pointed out, is it doesn't do enough damage and it isn't consistent enough with the damage it has. Its condi options are just kinda thrown in there, too. It doesn't have great sustain either. But that would be forgivable if it hit fast and hard. But at the moment, it's a lot of work for mediocre results.

I think it's fun, I like the style, and it's a nice break from Mirage and Chronomancer, but like other EoD elite specs, it just doesn't do enough. And I would much rather see these specs buffed to PoF levels instead of having to slog through content at Virtuoso's current power level.

No clones is not the reason for the hate. The lack of working class mechanic and slow ranged shatters are the problem as you said it doesn’t do enough. It’s basically a draft spec like catalyst

• Thanks 5