So I did the EoD final meta event for the first time...

...and we nailed Soo-Won with a couple of minutes to spare.

I don't even know why I am posting this given this is a sore thumb for many. But I like this game and I like to talk about it. This post is a thank you for all the people who try things, learn them and share with others the path to success. Before joining the meta, I watched a quick guide on how it works so I knew what to expect. When I got to the map, some events were already underway but I still managed to accrue 8% damage increase and maxed out Offensive and Defensive protocols before getting to the final boss.

The damage output when all the buffs are counted in is incredible. Her life/defiance bar goes down pretty quick when she is focused. What makes the fight hard is really the mechanics and the constant interruption of damage output as a result. For anyone who fought Octovine, the split boss fight is really not that hard. Our group had to stop attacking both times to wait for other to catch up, as it usually happens in the Auric Basin meta event. Everyone knew what to do and where to go and I can't stress it enough how important a good commander is. Our victory was only possible because of our commander. I wish I knew how to find this person in the forums to congratulate him publicly. Commanders are what makes PUGs work.

Knowing the mechanics is a huge portion of the path to victory. I was very concerned if I got turned into a wisp. And indeed I was both times but managed, without to much difficulty, to climb back up without having to use the emergency button. I dropped my personal waypoint up top to come back quickly in case I was downed. I got downed three times: one as a result of the whirlpool (which is better to die quickly than fight it) and the other two for not being fast enough to dodge the big attacks. (Note to self as a mostly ranged class: stay in the middle of the platform so you don't have to cover too much ground to get away.) From the three times I went down, I only needed assist the third time since I used my personal waypoint and the jade bot resurrect in the first two. Preparation is the name of the game.

Do not be too scared about your DPS. I never run arc dps but I knew I could not possible be hitting anywhere close to the 40k dps people talk about. I could see my chain skill critting for 1k to 3k in a 2 sec attack loop. How in the hell can that reach 40k per second even after burning all my abilities? Well, understand this: this DPS is usually calculated with the static dummy target practice robot stacked with debufs and you stacked with bufs, which is what happens in raid like content. It is not you soloing against single pve mobs around the map. Those 1-3k crit damage while solo turned to between 7-15k auto attack damage against Soo-Won. So understand your rotation minimally. Even if you do not execute it perfectly, you will still pull your own weight.

People were right when they said organization and experience would get we through this. For the people struggling, watch the video below. That's what made me proficient in the meta.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

5 minutes ago, Hollowhisper.1093 said:

Congratulations to you. You earned it I guess. 😁

I am not sure how much I earned it to be honest. I did my best to not be a hindrance though. This victory rests on the shoulder of our PUG commander, really.

I am trying to get arc dps working, but I am afraid I will find out that I was being taken for the ride instead of helping :classic_laugh:.

Edited by angrax.1372
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Did you mash more than "1" key? If you were, you were helping lol.

I don't even smash the 1 key because I let it run auto-attack lol. But yes, I know my rotation although I am not stellar at it. I was also running my world exploration build, heavily focused on survivability, which does not matter as much in this event. So I know with a few teaks I could contribute more to the damage.

I don't have access to that break bar table from season 4 I believe? But I can still contribute by switching to Mirage Thrust and Diversion. Clone production is this build is so massive.

Edited by angrax.1372
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, angrax.1372 said:

I am not sure how much I earned it to be honest. I did my best to not be a hindrance though. This victory rests on the shoulder of our PUG commander, really.

I am trying to get arc dps working, but I am afraid I will find out that I was being taken for the ride instead of helping :classic_laugh:.

There are so many egomaniacs out there. Maybe going back a few steps and re-learning that any group of people needs to be able to secure its weakest member (not saying you were) is the way that can make these games "social" and what makes a game experience "rewarding". Just a thought...

As concerns ArcDPS there's a Chris Rea song called "The Road to Hell". 🙃

Unlock the Charr waystation IBS mastery to get at least basic electropulse for a breakbar skill. It really helps. And wander around Drizzlewood for a little bit to get some of the scrap currency to use the waystation.

Also, I think mousing over your skills now tells you if they do defiance bar damage and how much.

17 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Unlock the Charr waystation IBS mastery to get at least basic electropulse for a breakbar skill. It really helps. And wander around Drizzlewood for a little bit to get some of the scrap currency to use the waystation.

Also, I think mousing over your skills now tells you if they do defiance bar damage and how much.

Working on it. I was on a hiatus since I hit lvl 80 after launch. I loved the game back then but once I got to "end game" content, I got bored. The poor original dungeons were so bad.

I got back about a year ago and, as I you image, there is a SHITLOAD of content to go through. I made the mistake of going for Astralaria (a weapon I am not even using currently) instead of other things. That's why I do not have done much of IBS still. But with the legendary rewards for the Return To... achievements, I will get my masteries soon. I also want to replay everything from scratch again with a new Char to re-familiarize with the plot.

I really like this game. Really do. I do not miss WoW at all. And I was lucky to not have met any of the toxic people I so often hear about. Maybe I am lucky, or I am so oblivious to what happens around me that I didn't notice ::eheh::.

7 minutes ago, angrax.1372 said:

Working on it. I was on a hiatus since I hit lvl 80 after launch. I loved the game back then but once I got to "end game" content, I got bored. The poor original dungeons were so bad.

I got back about a year ago and, as I you image, there is a SHITLOAD of content to go through. I made the mistake of going for Astralaria (a weapon I am not even using currently) instead of other things. That's why I do not have done much of IBS still. But with the legendary rewards for the Return To... achievements, I will get my masteries soon. I also want to replay everything from scratch again with a new Char to re-familiarize with the plot.

I really like this game. Really do. I do not miss WoW at all. And I was lucky to not have met any of the toxic people I so often hear about. Maybe I am lucky, or I am so oblivious to what happens around me that I didn't notice ::eheh::.

Tbqh, the only consistently large groups of toxic people I've seen are in PvP (saltmine) and in Dragon's End (new meta that people can't just autoattack through, which is what you've been able to do in just about all the rest of the openworld game, but I think that will chill out here over time. I mean, HoT metas eventually had people chill out and become routine). For the most part, everyone else has been reasonably chill. There's the occasional saltstick elsewhere in the game, but that's just to be expected in an MMO.

I've been replaying everything, too, starting with the Core story. I'm now caught up with A Star to Guide Us in LWS4 (just need to finish the 20 events to close out the Return To, so I can start the next episode).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

Tbqh, the only consistently large groups of toxic people I've seen are in PvP (saltmine) and in Dragon's End (new meta that people can't just autoattack through, which is what you've been able to do in just about all the rest of the openworld game, but I think that will chill out here over time. I mean, HoT metas eventually had people chill out and become routine). For the most part, everyone else has been reasonably chill. There's the occasional saltstick elsewhere in the game, but that's just to be expected in an MMO.

I've been replaying everything, too, starting with the Core story. I'm now caught up with A Star to Guide Us in LWS4 (just need to finish the 20 events to close out the Return To, so I can start the next episode).

I am even considering playing some GW1 again. I played a little bit of back in the day, but mostly as a solo RPG game. Henchmen where not a thing back then.

I always liked it. I wish I could have gotten my friends to play it together.

I don't understand how people are supposed to handle the breakbar without the waystation. It feels pretty mandatory because without it, you're relying on people dedicating utilities solely to defiance damage and then they're potentially losing out on the dps race portion of the fight. 

I'm all for teaching people how to use a breakbar, but we did that with the story as a mandatory step and people still don't seem to get it. Waystation charges seem to disappear and hoping that a 50 man raid group is organized enough to trickle it down with utilities and weapon skills alone seems like it's asking a bit much. 

It's doable for sure, but would it be as doable if we didn't have some random IBS mastery doing a large chunk of the work for us?

3 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

I don't understand how people are supposed to handle the breakbar without the waystation. It feels pretty mandatory because without it, you're relying on people dedicating utilities solely to defiance damage and then they're potentially losing out on the dps race portion of the fight. 

I'm all for teaching people how to use a breakbar, but we did that with the story as a mandatory step and people still don't seem to get it. Waystation charges seem to disappear and hoping that a 50 man raid group is organized enough to trickle it down with utilities and weapon skills alone seems like it's asking a bit much. 

It's doable for sure, but would it be as doable if we didn't have some random IBS mastery doing a large chunk of the work for us?

Electromagnetic Pulse is removed when you become a wisp, during boss split phases, & during the whirlwind phase where you gather energy to throw a spear at the Boss. Electromagnetic Pulse is an important CC, but it shouldn't be your sole CC for the Boss fight.

Edited by Xerxez.7361