Getting Platinum on Untamed?

Mell.4873

Its not so much a question but rather this is what i have achieved when my Soulbeast counter part could not.

I think this is mostly due to how I play which is a mix of tanking while standing on the point and then running off and hiding while my pet fights. This was how i played Soulbeast and now is how i play untamed. I got into a fight looking for a place to hide or punish someone who is low.

In essence I'm really really good at using the pet.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I did reach platinum playing untamed only as well. It wasn't easy at all. Soulbeast and core are way easier to play, probably more rewarding too.

Maybe it's a matter of meta.

I have an alt account, I tried mech and I did reach plat as well in 1/5 of the times without it being my main, but I got bored of it pretty fast, same with harbinger, fun at first, but then you realize you are winning with a spammy low risk playstyle and it's not for me, so I stopped playing them.

Untamed definitely has good damage, good utilities, but need lot of practice to be played effectively.

19 minutes ago, myun.6395 said:

I did reach platinum playing untamed only as well. It wasn't easy at all. Soulbeast and core are way easier to play, probably more rewarding too.

Maybe it's a matter of meta.

I have an alt account, I tried mech and I did reach plat as well in 1/5 of the times without it being my main, but I got bored of it pretty fast, same with harbinger, fun at first, but then you realize you are winning with a spammy low risk playstyle and it's not for me, so I stopped playing them.

Untamed definitely has good damage, good utilities, but need lot of practice to be played effectively.

Yeah that is what i found, i play Condi so my Soulbeast was definitely less effective because of it.

I game untamed a try, but went back to core this season. With untamed, I had to give up either Marksmanship (which loses a lot of opportunity damage), Beastmastery (I kinda rely on it heavily for GS usage), or of course the infamous Wilderness Survival. What untamed gave back generally didn't make up for what I had to give up.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good tools there, just... none of them are quite good enough to make up for what you have to sacrifice relative to core. I did make plat, but 99% of that was on core valk ranger.

Now that I farmed my last set of legendary armor, I don't have to worry about faster pips anymore, so I can afford to lose again lol. I'm going to test out a few bunkery builds to see how they perform.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I game untamed a try, but went back to core this season. With untamed, I had to give up either Marksmanship (which loses a lot of opportunity damage), Beastmastery (I kinda rely on it heavily for GS usage), or of course the infamous Wilderness Survival. What untamed gave back generally didn't make up for what I had to give up.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good tools there, just... none of them are quite good enough to make up for what you have to sacrifice relative to core. I did make plat, but 99% of that was on core valk ranger.

Now that I farmed my last set of legendary armor, I don't have to worry about faster pips anymore, so I can afford to lose again lol. I'm going to test out a few bunkery builds to see how they perform.

Core gets boring to play, and dunno if really that better than untamed, the projectile denial area comes a lot in handy against mechs, harbis, other rangers, specters, it's so good.

I have the best results with the pet set in avoid combat to have it around me more often, I keybind attack and return to me for the best flexibility.

I usual run boyce or rom builds and have great success with them. The playstyle is so fluid, but need time and practice, it's not boring like soulbeast where you pop sic'em and owp, burst and if fail run away kite and repeat, you have the damage almost always there, more sustain and the burst is huge if you combo it.

Probably it's not seeing much play because it's harder to play than the usual ranger, you have more buttons than an ele, ambush have a short window etc.

I did reach plat with it and i'm having lot of fun and feel satisfied, I could reach it 100 times easier playing bunker mech while watching a movie and pressing all skills off cooldown, but with untamed it's so rewarding. It's not meta by any mean, it's not broken, it's well balanced and if you play it right it's completely viable.

Right now I see no reasons to play core or soulbeast, for the fun aspect as well.

You can side node pretty well with untamed as well if you make the right build, also condi is ok to use, even tho i'm not a fun and I play power, lot of people are making condi untamed working, the last tree of traits are all three insanely good and doesn't matter which you use, just preference.

Hope tomorrow we will see some tweak and improvements that will make it complete.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, myun.6395 said:

It's not meta by any mean, it's not broken, it's well balanced and if you play it right it's completely viable.

I agree, and that's probably why it doesn't feel that great for me to play against mech or a decent harb. The projectile denial is nice, and for that same reason I find it better to run pet on passive most of the time so it gets juked less and is always nearby for f3 when needed.

Core valk simply has access to more of what I consider ranger's strengths, just with less buttons to press, pet is more free to move around, and less compromise overall. That being said, I don't see myself being able to get to even p2 on core. That's where untamed might come in - if I manage to learn at least 2 useful builds, I think the ceiling is higher. Projectile denial, boon strip, and a port to target are very high value tools other strong classes have access too, and untamed finally gave them to ranger as well. The port in particular I find is in a very good place, as when you can land the hit the cd is low enough that it really adds a new dimension of mobility we never had before.

As you said, a few tweaks could really let it shine brighter in competitive. The fundamentals are all there.

I'm currently working on a hammer cc sidenoding build, and it seems promising against many matchups. After I'm satisfied I have a good enough build set up, I'll take it into ranked and see how it goes.

1 minute ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

I agree, and that's probably why it doesn't feel that great for me to play against mech or a decent harb. The projectile denial is nice, and for that same reason I find it better to run pet on passive most of the time so it gets juked less and is always nearby for f3 when needed.

Core valk simply has access to more of what I consider ranger's strengths, just with less buttons to press, pet is more free to move around, and less compromise overall. That being said, I don't see myself being able to get to even p2 on core. That's where untamed might come in - if I manage to learn at least 2 useful builds, I think the ceiling is higher. Projectile denial, boon strip, and a port to target are very high value tools other strong classes have access too, and untamed finally gave them to ranger as well. The port in particular I find is in a very good place, as when you can land the hit the cd is low enough that it really adds a new dimension of mobility we never had before.

As you said, a few tweaks could really let it shine brighter in competitive. The fundamentals are all there.

I'm currently working on a hammer cc sidenoding build, and it seems promising against many matchups. After I'm satisfied I have a good enough build set up, I'll take it into ranked and see how it goes.

All depends on the role you wanna fit, and basically you have 2 options.

1. Roamer playstyle Gs/Lb Boyce build mark/beast/untamed. You roam around the map doing what usually a shiro herald does, +1 fights, help burst targets in team fights, and also can take few 1vs1s on node, against warriors for example.

2. Duelist/sidenoder Basically the same playstyle of core valk, you can take lot of 1vs1s, with triple stunbreak so enermies have an hard time to stunlock, you can kite pretty well even 2 players if you use terrain and LoS, if they are not crazy top players of course.

I tend to prefer power over condi, but dunno, this might change in the next balance patch.

I didn't try a real bunker playstyle, maybe with avatar or demo/pala amulet, but you will be just a worse mechanist version, with worse pet ai and utilities, if they fix turtle pet maybe could improve, now the new pets are bugged and don't cast skills properly or cast them 5 seconds late, I'm really not sure the bug is going on there, but it's already being reported and under investigation.

Even ROM said untamed is superior to core right now, it's more complex and not as easy to play, it is more flexible.

Once people figure it out well, there is no reason to play core anymore, similar to mirage pre dodge nerf, it was better in everything to core, a 2.0 version.

Hope really tomorrow there will be exciting changes.

28 minutes ago, myun.6395 said:

if they fix turtle pet maybe could improve, now the new pets are bugged and don't cast skills properly or cast them 5 seconds late, I'm really not sure the bug is going on there, but it's already being reported and under investigation.

I'm also looking forward to this. The turtle has both the flexibility of range, but more importantly for the build I wanted to put together, access to the second bubble is a big plus. But of course, as the turtle pet is right now, the cost of having that second bubble is basically having a nonfunctional pet (in terms of offense).

• Like 1