The Virtuyolo - A WvW roaming/+1 build

katte nici.9483

Build Link: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?Pi0AExzlFwuYcMKGKOuKdxKA-zVRYBhWbXMqJqIOlMFB9KE6WB0yEQxHABWDfmA4oaGA-w

About this build: This build is meant to take the classic one shot power Mesmer to the last level! Big spike damage against unsuspecting targets. The same Dom/Duel build since forever. Kill quick or die, but now with 5 projectiles. Lets try to get the most out of it.

Video: I have no idea how to make videos but if I knew I could probably show a few fun clips making this build look really good.

Why this build is bad: Well it's a power Mesmer build with some down grades. It can't duel, it has low damage against targets that don't fight back. Weak against projectile hate. Mediocre mobility (still above average for Mesmer). Meta builds beat it. Thief.

Why this build is good: It will one shot glassy builds. People underestimate its damage because every other Virtuoso is playing tickle me Inspiration builds. Surprisingly good against builds that rely heavily boons. Best mesmer mobility after Mirage.

Weapons: Greatsword is the power shatter weapon. Without it this build lacks damage. Sword/Sword because we want to exploit the new mobility and sword 2 and 4 can both trigger Duelist's Reversal and Psychic Riposte and have good melee damage. Phantasmal Swordsman works well on downstates and immobed targets/siege.

Sigils: Sigil of Absorption and Severance on greatword for removing (and getting) even more boons and increased burst power, but relies a lot on Mantra of Distraction. Energy/Cleansing on the swords for obvious reasons.

Armour: Full Marauder is probably the way to go thanks to the Quiet Intensity trait on Virtuoso, but I only had a few pieces, so the rest is berserker. Mix and match how you like.

Heal/Utilities: Ether Feast is currently the only heal that works well with Virtuoso and a 5 blade Ether Feast is huge. Blink is a must of course. Decoy over Signet of Midnight because of the added blade and slightly longer stealth, plus we dont need the extra condition damage. Mantra of Distraction is optional but it works well with the greatsword sigils and I like to be able to interrupt key skills. But depending on the situation you may want more condi cleanse or something else instead.

Traits: Shattered Concentration in Domination is a must. This build only works because it counters boons so well. Vicious Expression is probably the better choice for the same reason but I can also see this build work with Mental Anguish for even more shatter damage. Rending Shatter is probably optional but I take it because Domination benefits a lot from vulnerability and on Virtuoso both F1 and F2 will add up to 5 vulnerability using this trait, on top of the vulnerability from Deadly Blades.

I'm still not 100% sure that Dueling is better than Illusions, but I feel Fencer's Finesse and Superiority Complex justify it, trading more shatters for a stronger burst and more mobility/defence from sword skills.

1/1/1 on Virtuoso for the aegis-unblockable-shatter cycle.

Final comment: This build is interesting because it depends a lot on how your opponents play. You can really punish bad players for mindlessly attacking you and triggering the aegis-shatter cycle. At the same time someone who just runs away will make it difficult to restock blades and someone who uses unblockable attacks or times their attacks to avoid your aegis will probably destroy you. So this build fits well into the established noob stomper role of Mesmer. But as long as you avoid trying to duel actual roamers and instead pick on the weak, unsuspecting and overextended you can have great fun and even lead a push into a smaller unorganized group by relying on your aegis for a few moments while getting a down.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

It’s a cute build, I’m glad to see someone using virtuoso in a glassy way, I agree these inspi builds are kinda no impact. I would imagine in most situations it relies on F1 from stealth in melee range. It’s just pity it takes so long to cast shatters because meanwhile core mesmer can do GS2, Mantra, F1, GS3 and job done in a second (vs. Glassy opponents ofc). Didn’t test it but if virtuoso F1 + mantra matches the core burst it could be viable for one shot purposes to certain degree.

Edited by Mik.3401

28 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

It’s a cute build, I’m glad to see someone using virtuoso in a glassy way, I agree these inspi builds are kinda no impact. I would imagine in most situations it relies on F1 from stealth in melee range. It’s just pity it takes so long to cast shatters because meanwhile core mesmer can do GS2, Mantra, F1, GS3 and job done in a second (vs. Glassy opponents ofc). Didn’t test it but if virtuoso F1 + mantra matches the core burst it could be viable for one shot purposes to certain degree.

The only way I could see it work is if you cast f1 and then gs2 + blink while the blades are flying and mantra. 

It takes a bit more time to land tho.

Edited by Lincolnbeard.1735
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

The only way I could see it work is if you cast f1 and then gs2 + blink while the blades are flying and mantra. 

It takes a bit more time to land tho.

That makes sense, it surely needs very good positioning. Maybe taking illusions instead of duelling could allow to get some quickness by baiting the first dodge with GS4 at the beginning. Much more to consider than for core indeed.