The April 1st Patch Notes Tricked Me

Spero.1283

Disclaimer: I am well aware that the April 1st patch notes are, always have been, and always will be, a fantastic series of jokes. 

But hear me out. When I saw:

• Fixed an outcropping of land that was unintentionally killing players in Super Adventure Box's Tribulation Mode. We know, "how would someone even have known the difference?"

I immediately thought of one spot in trib mode where one does seem to be killed by a bug. You see, there's always been a patch of grass in 1.2 in the area after the first checkpoint, between the lava rocks and the checkpoint cloud, over by where you pick up the balloon. And this grass kills you. There's no spikes, no lava, no reason why one should die. That's not normal trib mode behavior. My solution has been to either stick to the roots there as much as I can to avoid it, or skip that balloon entirely and avoid the area. So I read that and thought to myself "did they actually slip a real one in there, did they fix that this year? I have to go check." 

So I ran on in and raced to the spot, heart aflutter. Walked around a bunch, and sure enough, the patch of grass that used to kill me no longer did! Fantastic... or so I thought. Because, you see friends, when I went to continue onward, lulled into a false sense of security by this lovely development... a new, previously safe patch of grass in that area killed me instead. They.... they moved the bugged deathgrass over. 

A GIF image of the treacherous deathgrass

I can't even complain because this feels very in line with the spirit of Tribulation mode. Cheers. 

Edited by Spero.1283
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I never got killed by that patch this year, but I didn't try to move as close to the lava as you did.

When Josh Foreman played through it 3 years ago orso, he also experienced it, and blamed him placing the lava kill layer at almost the same level as the grass platform, causing some physics imprecision to kill you most randomly.

Made me always jump over this platform and not keep running over it.

Who knows, maybe they did crop the lava kill layer so that it only triggers once you run where you went on your GIF?

Edited by Ray Koopa.2354

In previous years, there was a spot that was much more towards the middle near a tree root that would also kill one, and that definitely seems to have been fixed this year. Also the visible lava puddle over by the balloon stand doesn't seem to kill one either, or at least I couldn't get it to trigger. So it does seem that a bit of polish has happened. 😄

• Like 1

There is a tiny patch before the 'final mountain' in w1z1 that I usually dodge into to avoid the finger missile after running down the tree line. I did not know there was a player sized lava pit there. There is, and I fell in it once. Now I am paranoid every time I approach it.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

There is a tiny patch before the 'final mountain' in w1z1 that I usually dodge into to avoid the finger missile after running down the tree line. I did not know there was a player sized lava pit there. There is, and I fell in it once. Now I am paranoid every time I approach it.

Watch the ground texture / borders there, it's not too hidden near the fingers, just that the lower ground isn't solid starting behind the snake and the small bush / tree.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ray Koopa.2354 said:

Watch the ground texture / borders there, it's not too hidden near the fingers, just that the lower ground isn't solid starting behind the snake and the small bush / tree.

I honestly never, ever hit it until the other night where I died on the spikes immediately afterward. On my return I did not dodge roll as the finger missile was already gone, so a random mouse wiggle must have changed my approach just enough. I haven't died to it since - my solution is to just pretend the finger missiles respawn 😉