Constructive Input/Criticism on build (New to Revenant)

Felix Pantherae.1425

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyJldETMdsm4irm9kXe9Mn6qLn9FZk9tgIiogF1U66H-zRIYS09fIVJiyUREqU1ozyqbaA-e

I was looking to see/hoping any folks could give me any constructive input/criticism on my current CORE revenant build. I have not yet fully unlocked any elite specs for the revenant, so I am only working with core traits/legends/weapons. I typically play and main light/medium armor classes (i.e. virtuoso, weaver, and soulbeast), but wanted a change up in my arsenal of characters and made one of each heavy armor classes, and am currently working on revenant as it intrigues me the most. I mainly wvw/pvp, and would like to try for a build that works well for being in the frontlines of a zerg, thereby has good survivability/sustain, and, ideally, at least some decent damage (and i'm not NECESSARILY looking for it to be a super supportive build, just one that is more along the lines of a good tank, or more specifically, bruiser).

Edited by Felix Pantherae.1425

Personally I’d take retribution 1/3/3 or 1/3/2. Planar protection lines up nicely with the Shiro heal, which gives you a dark field that you can blast (hammer 5) or whirl (Sword 2) while providing projectile hate. 
dwarven battle training is too good to pass up, not only for the bonus damage but also causes forced engagement put weakness on your opponent, further reducing the damage they do to you. 

I would probably also take invocation 1/2/3 to get that extra crit % with fury and replace a few of those soldiers pieces with some knights/marauder/zerker cause you’re not going to be doing much damage without a bit more crit. It all depends how tanky you want to be though. If you want to have the best sustain, then take retribution 1/3/3 and invocation 1/2/2, that way hammers and impossible odds heals for a decent amount and you will have a ton of energy from invocation grand master. Getting a few pieces (or all) of marauders and running durability runes may get you as tanky as you want to be while still allowing you to do tons of damage, but again it’s something you’ll have to see for yourself. 

core rev is tons of fun. Unfortunately Rene and herald both outshine it in most situations but core is still very effective.

4 hours ago, Felix Pantherae.1425 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyJldETMdsm4irm9kXe9Mn6qLn9FZk9tgIiogF1U66H-zRIYS09fIVJiyUREqU1ozyqbaA-e

I was looking to see/hoping any folks could give me any constructive input/criticism on my current CORE revenant build. I have not yet fully unlocked any elite specs for the revenant, so I am only working with core traits/legends/weapons. I typically play and main light/medium armor classes (i.e. virtuoso, weaver, and soulbeast), but wanted a change up in my arsenal of characters and made one of each heavy armor classes, and am currently working on revenant as it intrigues me the most. I mainly wvw/pvp, and would like to try for a build that works well for being in the frontlines of a zerg, thereby has good survivability/sustain, and, ideally, at least some decent damage (and i'm not NECESSARILY looking for it to be a super supportive build, just one that is more along the lines of a good tank, or more specifically, bruiser).

Going to be completely honest and say that striving for "tankiness without being supportive" really isn't going to be helpful at all for a group (or roaming) and you'll end up being "just another body" instead of actually helpful for the people you're playing around (and if roaming you'll be unable to kill anything as well).   If you want to deal decent damage, you'll need decent damage gear.  If you want to be tanky/supportive, then you'll need tanky/supportive gear.  Unfortunately, Soldier's gear is a complete trap for players.  Yes, you're tankier, but you're also not doing much damage nor are you providing any good amount of support.  It's a REALLY BAD stat combination because it ultimately fulfills neither damage nor tanky/support in any meaningful way. 

I would personally urge you to consider building yourself more as either a DPS with some survivability (some combination of Marauder/Dragon/Valkyrie/Berserker/etc.) OR deciding to build yourself more as a support (Minstrel's/Celestial/etc.).  Soldier's is just going to leave you in a spot of not being very effective overall.  If you're building for Power damage you NEED Power + Precision bare minimum.  If you're not critting, you're missing out on large chunks of damage.  Ideally you also want high might uptime and permanent fury uptime and I would aim for 80-90% crit chance. 

I would take something similar to this for traits. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAwyJldETMdsm4irm9kXe9Mn6qLn9FZk9tgIiogltU+SF-w

Pack or Firework runes for more fury uptime is helpful as well if you don't want a tanky rune.  If you take Firework I would drop Rapid Flow for Incensed Response or Spirit Boon.  If you take Vicious Reprisal I would make sure to take the other two traits for Resolution uptime as well.  Other good trait alternatives that you could make at the cost of damage include:  Planar Protection, Dwarven Battle Training, Steadfast Rejuvenation, Song of the Mists, Assassin's Presence, Brutality

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054