best spot for world class fisher?

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference from one zone to another with respect to those outlier collections.  Without any confirmation providing any definitive information regarding drop tables and rates, I would recommend to fish at the lower level (EoD) maps in Open Water... this will at least generate more opportunity within comparable time investment as it is both easier (quicker to fish) and spares you from moving around from one hole to another. 

• Haha 1

For world class fisher, your best bet is still polluted lake fishing holes in Kessex Hills. I've not seen anything about that being nerfed, please elaborate as a google search, nor forum search, hasn't produced anything.

For Saltwater Fisher, now the nodes have been buffed, any Saltwater Node is fine, ie Rata Sum Docks or Mount Maelstrom.

Edited by Haleydawn.3764
  • Like 1

I'm at 1 week and about 600 lures in Kessex Hills (ant not only) and still didn't get any Fangfish. I think there's a problem with the RNG table. Been getting a lot of exotic fish, which actually is now common and not so many rare fish, which now actually became legendary. I'm 29/30 titles and only missing Fangfish to get 30/30. I'm really hoping ANet does something about this (as they did with the saltwater fish), otherwise it will all become a salty, unpleasent grind. I think I'm gonna stop fishing for some months, until they fix it. It's not fun or relaxing anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, I Rubra Caelum I.1530 said:

I'm at 1 week and about 600 lures in Kessex Hills (ant not only) and still didn't get any Fangfish. I think there's a problem with the RNG table. Been getting a lot of exotic fish, which actually is now common and not so many rare fish, which now actually became legendary. I'm 29/30 titles and only missing Fangfish to get 30/30. I'm really hoping ANet does something about this (as they did with the saltwater fish), otherwise it will all become a salty, unpleasent grind. I think I'm gonna stop fishing for some months, until they fix it. It's not fun or relaxing anymore.

I had the same thing, but with bonefish. I think I had to fish 300-350 in kessex, in 2-3 sessions, before I got that final one for 30/30.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:13 PM, I Rubra Caelum I.1530 said:

Lucky you! Still waiting for my f***ing fangfish...i could swear this fish is beyond anything legendary in this game! I should be able to wear it around my neck or something!

I've spent the last week looking for a fangfish - i'm with you, its the only fish left to get me to my 30th title in fishing... I've completed avid saltwater three times now, and i've completed avid seitung fisher almost 6 times. I also spent maybe 6 hours total in the desert guildhall (there is actually a good chance for world class fish there, just not the one I NEED).  So yeah, this is no longer fun or relaxing. FU RNG and FU FANGFISH.

• Like 1

Yep, another Fangfish is the last one I need for the title. No idea where  and when I caught the first one, but I'm stuck at Avid World Class fisher for days now, just because I'm missing this stupid fish. And I've tried multiple places. Especially freshwater(lake, ..)  to avoid the saltwater loot table.

Maybe some (recent) change removed it from the loot table. With the obvious lack of QA at ANet eveyrthing is possible. 

Update: Fishing in Arborstone Open Water (not in the Deep Fishing Hole): A nice and relaxing place since both you and your character can rest/relax and do not need to worry about closing maps, game updates or foes attacking your skiff. A Vendor for Lure and Bait is close by. Having something else to watch or listen to while doing this is highly recommended, if you want to stay sane. 

Although I doubt that fishing power has any effect on the rarity of fish being caught, here is my Arborstone Setup:

• Maxed fishing mastery
  • Fishing from Land (not Skiff)
  • Food: White Sushi
  • Lure: Antique or Amber
  • Bait: Freshwater Minnows
  • Total FP: 550..575

Results:  352 catches total (until I caught my Fangfish)

• Basic Echovald Fish: 188 = 53.41 %
    • Frehswater Eel: 56
    • Stone Loach: 132
  • Fine Echovald Fish: 94 = 26.7 %
    • Black Carp: 43
    • Knifefish: 51
  • Aquatic Trash: 39 = 11.08 % 
    • 1-5 of every (14) kind
  • Other: 6 = 1.7 % 
    • Amber Lure: 2
    • Can of Glow Worms: 1
    • Partially Chewed Box: 1
    • Koi Tonic: 1
    • Cave Crab Tonic: 1
  • Word Class Fish: 25 = 7.1 % 
    • Goldfish: 2
    • Armored Scalefish: 4
    • Bloodfish: 3
    • Bonefish: 3
    • Clawfish: 3
    • Dustfish: 1
    • Silverfish: 6
    • Red Herring: 2
    • Fangfish: 1
    • Totemfish: none
    • Venomfish: none

Further assuming that the chances to get any of the 11 (out of 14) World Class Fish which can be caught in Open Water are equal, the chance to catch a particular one, e. g. Fangfish, from Open Water in Arborstone appears to be 0.64566 %.

Which translates to a 90% chance to be successfull (catch the desired World Class fish) in 352 catches or rather 10% to still not get it. And as you can see, I neither had a Totemfish nor a Venomfish when I finally caught my Fangfish, since the chance to still miss at least one of the Open Water World Class fish after 352 catches is roughly 70%,  or rather it's a 30% chance to complete the full set. 

Both the Open World and the Saltwater collection appear to be a bottleneck when going for the "Cod Swimming Among Mere Minnows" title (which by itself does not exist  in the API, hence it's not listed on gw2efficiency):
https://gw2efficiency.com/account/unlock-statistics?filter.category=317

Hope this helps (to manage expectations).

TL;DR: Terrible design with way too much randomness which can lead to a lot of frustration when trying to get the title (which I now finally have). Call yourself lucky when you accidently finish both the Saltwater and the World Class collection (twice) before finishing all regional collections (twice) or you are in for a very boring/frustrating GW2 experience.

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, xlion.3065 said:

Although I doubt that fishing power has any effect on the rarity of fish being caught, here is my Arborstone Setup:

It does:
"Fishing Power increases the chance to catch a fish of higher rarity, and increases the size of your marker when fighting fish."

From the wiki page
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fishing

So a good spot is one with fishing holes so you can build 99 stacks and excludes as many fish as possible, like Saltwater, the weakness of Arborstone is the lack of fishing holes, but otherwise the ideal spot for it and I appreciate you writing about it as I need the exact same fish to get the 30th achievement

Update:
After giving up on Aborstone when the map was closing, I caught it in Frostgorge Sound at 74 fishing attempts and 45 stacks in Fishing Party.
Frostgorge Sound has no Saltwater fish and a lot of the fish has some requirements, , very unlikely any vanilla maps will close even this one, plus a legendary fish that can be caught any time of day, so even if I haven't caught it I would probably gain something worthwhile

Edited by Jach Anen.7524
New info
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spend 45 mins fishing those polluted fish holes to get Totem fish (2x), Bone Fish, Twilight Striker, Moonfin Striker and Red Herring.

Also got a Fangfish and a Dustfish but that was yesterday when I did it around 15 mins. You can follow a circle of 6 fishholes here which is quite efficient. Only needed Totemfish and red herring for the title so.....yessssss!

• 4 weeks later...

This is purely anecdotal, but I was sitting at 10/14 Avid World Class and that was all I had left for COD.

Did Thousand Seas for two hours, didn't get any. Moved to Kessex and the Polluted Lake Fish holes during the day, and got 3 of the 4 I needed in 24 casts, and 2 more that I already had.  So .. imho Kessex Polluted Lake Fish holes still seems to be the best spot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Polluted fishing holes is the way to go for World class fisher, I tried other fishing spots lots of time in Arborstone like the OP said but within 30 mins and 33 casts I got my last 2 (Red herring and Bonefish) was using whitefish sushi food and freshwater minnows. 

Also hope this helps. Now what do I work on??? I've been working on this complete collection on and off for 2 weeks it feels like. :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... heres my experience... not verified by statistics.  I been stuck on 10/14 World Class Fisher for ages. Completed all zones now.  Went to Kessex polluted lake and almost immediately got fang fish... got 2 actually... got a bunch of the other world class fish even though I still havent got the bone fish yet which I need.  This was all within one circuit of the lake... plus I got tons of junk that were converted into slivers and 2 goldfish.  I'd say this map is definitelyt the place to go.  Hands down.  I'll be farming this map to complete the collection.  Hopefully it will happen soon.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Naro.5496
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just started fishing and I am trying to find the damned Venomfish. 

Has anyone found it anywhere in particular? bait? 

I am fishing in the polluted lake water in Kessix Hills but nothing so far. Max stacks and changing lures.

7 hours ago, LindaLinda.9106 said:

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just started fishing and I am trying to find the damned Venomfish. 

Has anyone found it anywhere in particular? bait? 

I am fishing in the polluted lake water in Kessix Hills but nothing so far. Max stacks and changing lures.

As someone who fishes quite a bit (generally 1-2hrs per day) and mostly on 1 particular map...give Sandswept Isles a try. I focus on Ambergris so I'm mostly after the legendary fish, but I make a point of doing the collections when I can for additional Ambergris. I've completed Desert Isles collection over 200x...and in the process (again done almost exclusively in Sandswept Isles) I've completed Saltwater over 60x and World Class over 15x. Focus specifically on the area between the two islands and the bay to the west of the north island. You'll want mackerel and fish eggs for bait, and definitely want fishing food (anything that boosts fishing power) and getting the fishing power buff from the heart in Seitung Province (easternmost heart) won't hurt either. Also using an Item booster (found via laurel vendors) will give you a chance at 1-3 additional fish per fishing hole. Also stick with either Jade or Amber lures unless you have the infinite lure. Good luck!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ronin.4501 said:

As someone who fishes quite a bit (generally 1-2hrs per day) and mostly on 1 particular map...give Sandswept Isles a try. I focus on Ambergris so I'm mostly after the legendary fish, but I make a point of doing the collections when I can for additional Ambergris. I've completed Desert Isles collection over 200x...and in the process (again done almost exclusively in Sandswept Isles) I've completed Saltwater over 60x and World Class over 15x. Focus specifically on the area between the two islands and the bay to the west of the north island. You'll want mackerel and fish eggs for bait, and definitely want fishing food (anything that boosts fishing power) and getting the fishing power buff from the heart in Seitung Province (easternmost heart) won't hurt either. Also using an Item booster (found via laurel vendors) will give you a chance at 1-3 additional fish per fishing hole. Also stick with either Jade or Amber lures unless you have the infinite lure. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!! Will definitely give Sandswept Isles and all the other tips a try!

Edited by LindaLinda.9106
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LindaLinda.9106 said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!! Will definitely give Sandswept Isles and all the other tips a try!

Glad I could be of some help! If you're out there and see Astharoshe Asran (my fishing toon) feel free to ask to share my fishing stacks or pick my brain on anything else fishing-related!

PS. If you or any else has any difficulty catching the Twilight Striker (World Class dusk/dawn fish) I've probably caught a few dozen on Sandswept Isles as well; just make sure you're not equipping fish eggs/mackerel as bait (to reduce the chances of catching Dandan or Blue Marlin) during the 5-minute window. Again best of luck!!

If you are having trouble catching certain fish I'd suggest trying with another character. I do most of my fishing with one toon but for the achies I rotated between four of them. I quite often caught the eluding fish with just few tries after changing toons. My conclusion: the RNG works in mysterious ways. 

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:05 AM, Ronin.4501 said:

give Sandswept Isles a try. ... ... Focus specifically on the area between the two islands and the bay to the west of the north island.

That's wonderfully specific advice!  I can't say that I had ever even been to that map for fishing... completing the Desert Isles for me was done exclusively in Istan, I believe.  In Sandswept, I like the efficiency of the node-running and the fact that both Leggies are tied to the same bait... so looks like I can run the coasts for one during daytime and then flip to the middle channel at night.

I am curious as to the thought process... I see that collection has comparatively fewer fish... in your experience does that increase the odds of getting the leggies at higher fishing power, do you think (not sure if we actually know?)?  I have tried to pick maps that provide some redundancy, where I can catch different fish with the same cast (i.e Crystal Oasis for Desert, I have the chance to catch 2 leggies and 1 ascend fish with the same bait (Scorpions - Daytime)... I was thinking that this would provide greater chance for something profitable, but maybe I'm misinterpreting how the drop table works, and in doing so I'm just diluting my chances (since there are more different fishes across all types (master, rare, exotic, etc)?

I note also that in the just over the hour I was there, I didn't get the empty-map notification... and with it the dreaded countdown timer!  Do you find you have better luck with that map for that as well?

Great stuff, thank you!

PS.  Did you get the infinite lure?  🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Garrison Storm.3046 said:

That's wonderfully specific advice!  I can't say that I had ever even been to that map for fishing... completing the Desert Isles for me was done exclusively in Istan, I believe.  In Sandswept, I like the efficiency of the node-running and the fact that both Leggies are tied to the same bait... so looks like I can run the coasts for one during daytime and then flip to the middle channel at night.

I am curious as to the thought process... I see that collection has comparatively fewer fish... in your experience does that increase the odds of getting the leggies at higher fishing power, do you think (not sure if we actually know?)?  I have tried to pick maps that provide some redundancy, where I can catch different fish with the same cast (i.e Crystal Oasis for Desert, I have the chance to catch 2 leggies and 1 ascend fish with the same bait (Scorpions - Daytime)... I was thinking that this would provide greater chance for something profitable, but maybe I'm misinterpreting how the drop table works, and in doing so I'm just diluting my chances (since there are more different fishes across all types (master, rare, exotic, etc)?

I note also that in the just over the hour I was there, I didn't get the empty-map notification... and with it the dreaded countdown timer!  Do you find you have better luck with that map for that as well?

Great stuff, thank you!

PS.  Did you get the infinite lure?  🙂 

After I had completed the Cod Swimming Amongst Mere Minnows achievement, I started trying out different maps to see which ones yielded the most legendary fish, and while there are a few others that have a good yield (Crystal Oasis, New Kaineng City, Rata Sum), none were as good to me as Sandswept Isles.  Although I think only the Ring of Fire and Orr maps require a higher fishing power, Sandswept Isles usually gave me the best returns (I average about 15 legendary fish per hour). Really it's all up to RNG as to what your returns are though. I have friends who have better luck in Crystal Oasis, but for whatever reason that map isn't as kind to me (and I've probably spent about 700hrs fishing since it was added to the game). Also, the map yields a high amount of green/yellow fish (as opposed to other maps which drop more blue fish), and those fish can yield Ambergris as well as the legendary fish. Today I got another 3 Ambergris from 115 green fish (although that's extremely lucky if I'm being honest; usually I'll just get 1).

As for the map closures, I probably encounter it about once per week in Sandswept Isles, as the map often has a tag with players working on the various metas, achievements, and bounties...and unfortunately it also has a fair amount of afk-farmers which also keep the map active. A bit of advice though when the 'map is closing' announcement arrives; stay at least 30 minutes before leaving. 4 times out of 5 the map will "re-open" before the 60 minute window passes.

And yes, I did get the infinite lure, specifically because on more than one occasion I've run out of bait and lure at the same moment and only saw the "run out of bait" notification, which unfortunately led to me fishing for quite a while without a lure!

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just completed both my on World Class Fisher (starting 13/14, Venomfish) and Avid World Class Fisher (and CSAMM!) in Kessex Hills. It seems that Kessex is still a good place to  complete the World Class Fisher achievement. Here are the stats:

• time: 2 hours
  • casts: 234

The setting:

• lure: jade
  • bait: Shrimpling
  • food: Plate of Crispy Fish Pancakes

For the following 54 World Class Fisher catches (23%):

• 12 Silverfish
  • 8 Clawfish
  • 8 Goldfish
  • 7 Sunscale Striker
  • 6 Venomfish
  • 3 Moonfin Strikers
  • 2 Dustfish
  • 2 Armored Scalefish
  • 2 Totemfish
  • 1 Fangfish
  • 1 Bloodfish
  • 1 Bonefish
  • 1 Twilight Striker

In addition to 39 Krytan Fisher catches (16,7%):

• 2 Quagmire eels
  • 14 Black Bass
  • 21 Striped Bass
  • 1 Round Goby
  • 1 Sailfin Molly

Most of the catches (141) were trash (60,3%). The last fish I needed to complete the Avid was the Armored Scalefish and I caught it on the last minute of the 2 hours spam. I got one before the first Venomfish that I needed to complete the World Class Fisher achievement, that's why I needed the second one.

I hope this helps to set the expectations about Kessex Hills fishing. God luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2