The Curious Case of Malyck and the "Other Tree"

Its Spooky.5917

6 hours ago, Raven Scorn.7591 said:

What I'm wonderin' and hopin' now...is will Malyck make a return in the recent expansion? Like Zojia?

If by 'recent expansion' you mean in SotO? I profoundly doubt it. In some future expansion? Probably. They've said that one of their goals with these post-dragon expansions is to address some of the lingering mysteries in the game, and Malyck and the other Tree certainly fall in that category. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, Randin.5701 said:

If by 'recent expansion' you mean in SotO? I profoundly doubt it. In some future expansion? Probably. They've said that one of their goals with these post-dragon expansions is to address some of the lingering mysteries in the game, and Malyck and the other Tree certainly fall in that category. 

I will not be surprised if they do since we still have a good amount of locations West of Kryta left to explore. It will also provide them a good chance to show Post-HoT Maguuma and how things have developed over the years after Mordremoth's defeat in that region and how the long term affects have changed that region where the short term effects have one the location after the short term effects been dealt with off screen years ago.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

Malyck´s tree was included in the initial HoT plans. So much, that Scarlet talks about him in the Twillight Arbor Aether path. Therefore it is possible some of the Blighting trees was intended to be his tree (my bet goes for the Auric Basin one, should I quess).

When Anet announced the new expansion politic, they briefly mentioned Sylvari and the recovery of the Pale Tree. However all Sylvari content is destined more or less to be a kind of draconic content, as they are connected to Mordremoth. Anet were creating the dragon stories over ten years, and now they clearly stated the intention to tell another kind of stories for a while (rn we are at demons, another realities), just look how quickly they shipped (or should I say ruined?) the Icebrood Saga.

Back then I pointed out the Depths of Tyria in the aftermath of Primordus as a very good chance to fill both the story debt Primordus has since IBS and bring new interesting stories and environment. Malyck tree is something very similar in this optic. 

So sure, I can definitely see it happen, but not before Anet gets enough rest from the dragon lore and sparks another entertainment in it. Of course they could also change writers for another ones, who are not tired with the dragons and therefore give us another dragon expansion asap.

20 hours ago, Lord Korag.8439 said:

Malyck´s tree was included in the initial HoT plans. So much, that Scarlet talks about him in the Twillight Arbor Aether path. Therefore it is possible some of the Blighting trees was intended to be his tree (my bet goes for the Auric Basin one, should I quess).

When Anet announced the new expansion politic, they briefly mentioned Sylvari and the recovery of the Pale Tree. However all Sylvari content is destined more or less to be a kind of draconic content, as they are connected to Mordremoth. Anet were creating the dragon stories over ten years, and now they clearly stated the intention to tell another kind of stories for a while (rn we are at demons, another realities), just look how quickly they shipped (or should I say ruined?) the Icebrood Saga.

Back then I pointed out the Depths of Tyria in the aftermath of Primordus as a very good chance to fill both the story debt Primordus has since IBS and bring new interesting stories and environment. Malyck tree is something very similar in this optic. 

So sure, I can definitely see it happen, but not before Anet gets enough rest from the dragon lore and sparks another entertainment in it. Of course they could also change writers for another ones, who are not tired with the dragons and therefore give us another dragon expansion asap.

Hrrrmn. I think at this point, a Malyck storyline would simply be a sylvari storyline rather than a dragon storyline. The dragons are always going to be part of the backstory of the world, so I think it's reasonable to expect that future storylines are going to continue to be affected by the Elder Dragons, it's just that the Elder Dragons and their minions will no longer be primary antagonists.

As an example, SotO references events that happened during the dragons story and in the last dragonrise, but is clearly not a 'dragon story'. Similarly, future sylvari content of any form is likely to reference sylvari history, possibly including parts of sylvari history we hadn't known before*, without that meaning that it's a Mordremoth story despite how significant a role Mordremoth played in sylvari history.

*On this note, in fact, there's a hint in the Oracle Deck that Vass possibly had something to do with the Pale Tree, although the line in question has plenty of other interpretations.

• Like 2