Per PC graphics settings, can it be done?

I play on two very different computers.  One runs the game at a steady 100+ FPS on max settings, the other runs the game at a wobbly 15-30 FPS on minimum settings.

It seems that my graphics settings sync with my account similar to my control settings, can I make this stop? (so I don't have to go into the settings menu every time I play and adjust my graphics options)

5 hours ago, Prancybald.5809 said:

I play on two very different computers.  One runs the game at a steady 100+ FPS on max settings, the other runs the game at a wobbly 15-30 FPS on minimum settings.

It seems that my graphics settings sync with my account similar to my control settings, can I make this stop? (so I don't have to go into the settings menu every time I play and adjust my graphics options)

The graphic settings are only stored locally in the local.dat-file, so they shouldn't be shared.

If the game doesn't remember your settings, you should check, if there are any problems with this file.

• Thanks 1

I suppose that would probably explain it, my local.dat is on an iSCSI device (to update once and play anywhere on the LAN) and I'd have figured settings would be either somewhere in %USERPROFILE% or synced with my account, because controls seem to sync with the account.

Thanks for the information. 🙂

22 hours ago, Prancybald.5809 said:

I suppose that would probably explain it, my local.dat is on an iSCSI device (to update once and play anywhere on the LAN)

Unless that iSCSI device has low latency SSD(s) for storage, avoid using it for GW2 anyway, especially when using DX11. You might even see I nice boost in performance when playing from a decent local NVMe SSD.

However if you still want to share your GW2 installation over the network, you could try a tool called "gw2launcher" which was originally designed to launch multiple accounts from a single installation for multi-boxing purposes. It's tolerated by ANet as far as I know and should allow you to create two or more profiles with different graphics settings while only requiring updating the installation once on patchdays.

If you want 1 installation and 2 graphics settings, the simplest option is to make a hard link of Gw2-64.exe to give it an alternative name. Most graphics settings are stored in a file based on the name of the exe, so this will give each exe its own graphics settings.

3 hours ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Unless that iSCSI device has low latency SSD(s) for storage, avoid using it for GW2 anyway, especially when using DX11. You might even see I nice boost in performance when playing from a decent local NVMe SSD.

However if you still want to share your GW2 installation over the network, you could try a tool called "gw2launcher" which was originally designed to launch multiple accounts from a single installation for multi-boxing purposes. It's tolerated by ANet as far as I know and should allow you to create two or more profiles with different graphics settings while only requiring updating the installation once on patchdays.

2 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

If you want 1 installation and 2 graphics settings, the simplest option is to make a hard link of Gw2-64.exe to give it an alternative name. Most graphics settings are stored in a file based on the name of the exe, so this will give each exe its own graphics settings.

I'm using gw2launcher now, mostly as a "lazy" way to open and close Blish HUD automatically, and pick "I don't want to sign up for SMS authentication", but yeah, it's backed by SSDs, load times are great (generally 1-2 seconds on map change), but sometimes I'm playing on a on a 15 year old netbook, and was wondering if I could stop fiddling with graphics settings, so I'll look into creating two profiles, I imagine that might work, even if I enter the same credentials for both.

I'll also try making a symlink, are you suggesting the exe being on the iSCSI device also?

37 minutes ago, Prancybald.5809 said:

I'll also try making a symlink, are you suggesting the exe being on the iSCSI device also?

Not necessary. I assumed you were sharing the entire GW2 folder. You can simply rename Gw2-64.exe on one of the devices to give it a different graphics settings file.

If you're using Gw2Launcher, you can just give the account a different GFXSettings.xml file.