Elemental Celerity interaction with the damage falloff of Meteor Shower (and why double meteor might not be as good as it appears)

Wyrdern.4092

So I was doing some testing on the training golem to see how much damage casting Meteor Shower a second time with the Catalyst skill Elemental Celerity and I noticed the damage was much lower than I expected. Turns out the second meteor was being affected by the per hit damage reduction from the first meteor. With a bit more testing I found that if you wait a while the damage will be higher depending on how you waited, which leaves me to believe that the damage falloff is tracked by some stacking hidden buff placed on enemies every time they are struck. This works fine with the normal 30s (24s traited) cooldown of meteor shower but resetting the cooldown with Elemental Celerity (or via any means such as adrenal mushrooms) means you are casting the second meteor before the buff stacks from the first meteor have dropped off.

So TLDR: double casting meteor shower leads to reduced damage due the damage reduction per strike lingering from the first cast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

8 hours ago, salogel.1869 said:

So I was doing some testing on the training golem to see how much damage casting Meteor Shower a second time with the Catalyst skill Elemental Celerity and I noticed the damage was much lower than I expected. Turns out the second meteor was being affected by the per hit damage reduction from the first meteor. With a bit more testing I found that if you wait a while the damage will be higher depending on how you waited, which leaves me to believe that the damage falloff is tracked by some stacking hidden buff placed on enemies every time they are struck. This works fine with the normal 30s (24s traited) cooldown of meteor shower but resetting the cooldown with Elemental Celerity (or via any means such as adrenal mushrooms) means you are casting the second meteor before the buff stacks from the first meteor have dropped off.

So TLDR: double casting meteor shower leads to reduced damage due the damage reduction per strike lingering from the first cast.

This is not good if true. Do you have a % dmg reduction number due to EC use?

29 minutes ago, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

This is not good if true. Do you have a % dmg reduction number due to EC use?

Its not due to EC use, its because MS got built in pve dmg falloff upon hitting single target with multiple meteors and it falls off at a rate of 10% per hit to a minimum of 10% dmg. 

1 hour ago, soulknight.9620 said:

Its not due to EC use, its because MS got built in pve dmg falloff upon hitting single target with multiple meteors and it falls off at a rate of 10% per hit to a minimum of 10% dmg. 

Well, I meant  "due to EC use" as shorthand for the OP's "resetting the cooldown with Elemental Celerity (or via any means such as adrenal mushrooms) means you are casting the second meteor before the buff stacks from the first meteor have dropped off".

But thanks for clarifying .