Reaper or Harbinger power?

Olympz.8927

Hello, i found out that i like power more than condi. And its time to decide what to go with, With the fact that i will focus power and want pretty good selfheals and so on, Good survivability. What am i looking at is it power Reaper or Power Harbinger? Gonna play both pvp and pve

Power harbinger has had its damage divided by 4 since release:

- first literally by anet dividing power coefficients by 2 on the main damaging skills,

- once more with the garbage june 28th patch that requires you to use assassin runes + deathly haste to be around critcap.

Reaper was nerfed as well, just roll a teef, a mechanist or a DH/willbenda.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Devas.8104 said:

Power harbinger has had its damage divided by 4 since release:

- first literally by anet dividing power coefficients by 2 on the main damaging skills,

- once more with the garbage june 28th patch that requires you to use assassin runes + deathly haste to be around critcap.

Reaper was nerfed as well, just roll a teef, a mechanist or a DH/willbenda.

Aight so what power class as thief?

On 6/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, Olympz.8927 said:

Hello, i found out that i like power more than condi. And its time to decide what to go with, With the fact that i will focus power and want pretty good selfheals and so on, Good survivability. What am i looking at is it power Reaper or Power Harbinger? Gonna play both pvp and pve

Reaper is on the lower end of the Power DPS specs, however its still viable. As for power Harbinger lacks kick. Its not unplayable but its very low on the DPS scale, and considering how much more frail it is compared to power reaper I'd say just play reaper.

But really, play what you want. Power Reaper and harbinger are interchangeable with gear baring one uses Greatsword and the other uses dagger.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:53 PM, Lily.1935 said:

Reaper is on the lower end of the Power DPS specs, however its still viable.

Viable as what?
Certainly not as DPS. Reaper deals 30k on the Golem right now. Thats 30k with Greatsword animation canceling AND no damage taken during the shroud rotation.
Taking no damage during shroud is impossible in Raid encounters, thanks to the arena tick, and highly unlikely during normal fights. There are bosses that make it straight up impossible to run Reaper, because of stuff like VGs green. 

Talking 30k. 30k is the number a Quickness Firebrand reaches atm. And FB is not alone. PowerAlac Mech deals 30k. Chrono is in line to get his damaged buffed. An absolutely selfish DPS spec like Reaper should pull numbers like Soulbeast, another Spec that comes with little to nothing for the team.

Reaper is fine as an open world spec, but what spec isnt? In instanced content its dead meat. In PvP and WvW its, you guessed it, dead meat.

Even Warrior makes Reaper look bad in the current state.

Edited by Radina.6057
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Radina.6057 said:

Viable as what?
Certainly not as DPS. Reaper deals 30k on the Golem right now. Thats 30k with Greatsword animation canceling AND no damage taken during the shroud rotation.
Taking no damage during shroud is impossible in Raid encounters, thanks to the arena tick, and highly unlikely during normal fights. There are bosses that make it straight up impossible to run Reaper, because of stuff like VGs green. 

Talking 30k. 30k is the number a Quickness Firebrand reaches atm. And FB is not alone. PowerAlac Mech deals 30k. Chrono is in line to get his damaged buffed. An absolutely selfish DPS spec like Reaper should pull numbers like Soulbeast, another Spec that comes with little to nothing for the team.

Reaper is fine as an open world spec, but what spec isnt? In instanced content its dead meat. In PvP and WvW its, you guessed it, dead meat.

I run raids every week and I frequently run reaper on a few fights. The Reaper can hit the DPS checks and if You're struggling with life force (Which I don't struggle with on reaper) I'd suggest you dropping axe and taking a dagger in its place. You won't lose that much DPS by sticking on dagger for a little bit.

I'm well aware that Reaper is on the lower end of the DPS bench. However, if someone wants to play it they'll do just fine. Let them. You don't need try hard DPS to do raids or strikes. If you're doing challenge modes, sure. However for getting into raids, dungeons, fractals Reaper will carry you perfectly fine throughout the content at hand. Especially with all the barrier spam from Scourge and mechanist the life force isn't as big a problem as you might think.

I get that you're upset that reaper is at the bottom of the barrel, but that's not new, that's been reaper's entire career. And people still made it work for them because they love the spec. So I see no reason to tell people not to play something they enjoy just because something else is more effective.

I'll advocate for reaper to be buffed as well. It should be a powerful spec, I think it deserves it. But I'm not going to lie and say its not good enough in raids because it is. I've played it in nearly every raid wing, fractal level, dungeons and most strikes. And we have a guildy who loves playing reaper and he also does just fine on it.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, Olympz.8927 said:

I got a few confused reactions to my previous post by PVE brainlets, so I'll develop a bit further below.

Both are dead in PvP, don't bother.

They regularly nerfed power damage on all key skills/increased CDs for insane reasons (+10 sec wurm CD for free, -33% lich AA because bronze players can't dodge/LOS/reflect, -30 to -50% power damage on all harbinger shroud skills because people think condi harbinger is too strong...) 

The Death Perception nerf with their June 28th joke is what broke the camel's back ( -20% crit in shroud).

Now you can't crit cap with zerk gear as a harbinger anymore. Instead of hitting for 8k-13k after might-stacking from potions (shroud 3 crit), you will find yourself hitting wet noodle 3k dmg too regularly for a spec that has 0 sustain.

It's not worth it to try reaching critcap through assassin stats/runes because the loss of power is too great, and you're losing out on a lot of damage.

Mind you, willbendas still get to hit 6k-9k for 3 or 5 attacks over the span of a couple of seconds while keeping their godlike sustain & mobility.

tl;dr Reaper is obsolete, power Harbinger is dead, if you want to play a power class roll a willbenda/teef/rifle mech.

Edited by Devas.8104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Valisha.8650 said:

Depends. Mukluk made a fairly decent 20k dps power quickness harbringer.

which is pretty bad, because it only does quickness and a fury and provides nothing else unlike other power quickness builds.

at that point you could run aristocracy rune for 100% might uptime and reach around 23k dps. but that already 10 times better than the power build even though you are not able to keep up permanent 25 might. even with a perfect rotation the might will drop sometimes to 20stacks

On 7/13/2022 at 4:16 AM, Radina.6057 said:

Viable as what?

Not anything personal but... as reaper main I just hate to read how everyone says how kitten power reaper is. Its so heartbreaking. Go home and let ppl play what they want to. I'm going to do so. It is still better than any 2k dps bearbow rangers. 

• Confused 4

On 6/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, Olympz.8927 said:

For pvp you can go power reaper and do good, in pve... if you refer to open world just play whatever you want ot dpesnt matter, if you talk about strikes, raids, fractals... well condi is too incredibly overpowered there to consider even going power, of you want to anyway, reaper shoukd do better i think but i dont think the difference is that big anyway its just a gs -  pistol choice for weapons, and shroud... reap is tankier while harbring is more movility.

And for surviving... harbringer blight mecanic cuts your health pool so reaper has it better

On 7/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, samsar.9152 said:

Not anything personal but... as reaper main I just hate to read how everyone says how kitten power reaper is. Its so heartbreaking. Go home and let ppl play what they want to. I'm going to do so. It is still better than any 2k dps bearbow rangers. 

you can play whatever you want, but its a fact that reaper has very low dmg, even inside the power dps elites that have less dmg than condis now (cos condis are overpowered), if you main and like reaper of course you can do it, if you find groups that dont mind dmg that much, you have very good cc and survival, but it needs to be said, and recognized, that power classes are in a bad position now, and that reaper is in a very bad position, if you say its fine, just eat whatever they give you, and never say something is wrong, the problem wont be solved, as for a person asking for advice, if you say reaper is perfect and suddenly he gets kikked of a raid because reaper doesnt have enought dmg, wich for fast and high performance groups is true, then what is he gonna think? that people are meta toxic elitist, that forums are full of people trolling, that we made him spend gold in useless things, etc, instead say, reaper has very low dmg, has some good things but if you go condi you will be much more free and wont have to face as many idiots.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, samsar.9152 said:

Someday people will not feel personally attacked when some random gent on the internet says the spec they like to play is garbage.

Even if its objectively the truth, which it is in this case, you can enjoy whatever the hell you want. It doesnt change the fact that Reaper needs some touching desperately, and not since yesterday, or the last patch, but for years now.

A selfish dps career should simply not be limited to the same max dps numbers as a boon factory.

Edited by Radina.6057
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1