GW2 should finally add "inspect gear" ability to examine other players' cosmetics

17 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

It is if I message someone asking them what they're wearing, and they don't tell me what they are wearing.

Potential refusal to answer your question in no way is gatekeeping anything.

13 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

That's what I'm wondering. There is nothing secret about gear in GW2

Then why aren't you signed for that site? If you think what you're claiming in this thread then make the first step and prove you want your characters and their equipped gear to be a freely publicly accessed information. Somehow doesn't look like you're following what you're saying though 🤔

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

57 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Then why aren't you signed for that site? If you think what you're claiming in this thread then make the first step and prove you want your characters and their equipped gear to be a freely publicly accessed information. Somehow doesn't look like you're following what you're saying though 🤔

Well, it's a website not owned or ran by ANet, so there's that.  There's also having to sign up for it likely using the same email but a different password which puts your data out there all the more, which means if that website gets compromised, it'll expose more than just your gear, build, and skins.  It's almost as though putting trust into a third party that's already in a gray area (Gear inspect is one of the reasons the other DPS meter banned, remember?),  that won't really be held accountable and might not have the best security isn't the best idea. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

14 minutes ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

Well, it's a website not owned or ran by ANet, so there's that.

It uses official API with information you agree to. What's the issue exactly?

There's also having to sign up for it likely using the same email but a different password which puts your data out there all the more, which means if that website gets compromised, it'll expose more than just your gear, build, and skins.

Creating and using a spam mail is somehow a problem? And lets make it clear, if that's what someone's truly worried about... they already have a spam mail.

(Gear inspect is one of the reasons the other DPS meter banned, remember?)

Was that one opt-in like any site you enter API key into is? Or was it... what the guy above wants?

E: well, just checked and it seems email isn't even required, so you don't even need any spam email (even if that would somehow be a problem). 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

Well, it's a website not owned or ran by ANet, so there's that.

It's the best it can be for people who want to peek at others can't be bothered to ask.

1) People who want this feature can freely look at other people who want this feature.

2) People who don't want such an option aren't forced into it.

3) It already exists in one form, so Arenanet doesn't need to spend resources on an official version.

It's a win for everyone involved.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/29/2023 at 8:47 AM, jason.1083 said:

I think that's what most people do, because it's not just about what the skin is, it's also about how to get it as well, and there's actually a decent amount of people who don't know or just can't be bothered to find skins and how to get them. Usually if someone asks me about my skins I also tell them where to get them. Which is ofcourse the advantage of the interaction with the skins being the icebreaker. 

On the other hand, I do kind of understand why some people might not want to go through that thus they'd use an inspect gear(or at least inspect skins) menu. We might not agree with them but they are players of the game as much as we are so I think it's a fair point. 

Very good points.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

It uses official API with information you agree to. What's the issue exactly?

Creating and using a spam mail is somehow a problem? And lets make it clear, if that's what someone's truly worried about... they already have a spam mail.

Was that one opt-in like any site you enter API key into is? Or was it... what the guy above wants?

E: well, just checked and it seems email isn't even required, so you don't even need any spam email (even if that would somehow be a problem). 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't matter how easy it is to use or sign up for, it's not managed by Anet, and is still third party. You seem to vote for "privacy" but then advocate for handing your info out to 3rd party sites. I'd personally keep all my info in the hands of Anet, and signing up for an external service just isn't what I personally plan to do. An in game feature integrated feature built into the game's UI would eliminate the need for 3rd party involvement, which is what I personally want, no ifs or buts about it. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

It doesn't matter how easy it is to use or sign up for

Maybe read what it was responding to instead of now saying "it doesn't matter" when it was an exact answer to the "point" made there.

38 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

You seem to vote for "privacy" but then advocate for handing your info out to 3rd party sites.

No, it's you who advocates for a general access to information of everyone's characters but then refuse to share your api key with a site that can't do anything with it other than what you let it do with it. 🙄 You want everyone to have the access and yet you're not giving it now, don't try to turn it around into something it's not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe read what it was responding to instead of now saying "it doesn't matter" when it was an exact answer to the "point" made there.

No, it's you who advocates for a general access to information of everyone's characters but then refuse to share your api key with a site that can't do anything with it other than what you let it do with it. 🙄 You want everyone to have the access and yet you're not giving it now, don't try to turn it around into something it's not.

Because that site is not Anet. 
What I'm asking for, is a feature that Anet themselves develops, implements, and manages, that is built directly into the game. What you're proposing does not fill that requirement. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Because that site is not Anet. 

But, once again, official API is anet. And official API is where the information comes from.
So without change: it's you who advocates for a general access to information of everyone's characters but then refuse to share your api key with a site that can't do anything with it other than what you let it do with it. 🙄 You want everyone to have the access and yet you're not giving it now, don't try to turn it around into something it's not.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

But, once again, official API is anet. And official API is where the information comes from.
So without change: it's you who advocates for a general access to information of everyone's characters but then refuse to share your api key with a site that can't do anything with it other than what you let it do with it. 🙄 You want everyone to have the access and yet you're not giving it now, don't try to turn it around into something it's not.

You know what the true issue is? Typing.

Typing a name on that website apparently is too hard, when that person just wants to do no more than right click -> peek at player.

I can understand that, when there are weird names with Spanish or French accents or other special letters like the German ß. Those can be a bit difficult to type for people who don't know how to do those special letters and accents. But most character names are not like that.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

With the number of posts he wrote in this thread, typing is supposed to be a problem? Don't you think that the chances are, people who make hard to read/type nicknames or account names, don't want to share their information with others in the first place?
On the bright side, that site wasn't the only (or even the first, pretty sure) solution proposed in this thread. The other was to ask that person, which can be quickly and easly done without retyping any name at all, right in the game's window.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

With the number of posts he wrote in this thread, typing is supposed to be a problem? Don't you think that the chances are, people who make hard to read/type nicknames or account names, don't want to share their information with others in the first place?
On the bright side, that site wasn't the only (or even the first, pretty sure) solution proposed in this thread. The other was to ask that person, which can be quickly and easly done without retyping any name at all, right in the game's window.

But that person doesn't want to ask people, which requires typing. And he doesn't want to type names or his key into that website.

Or maybe it's just someone wanting to "argue" for the sake of "arguing" in circles, like that one other person.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But that person doesn't want to ask people, which requires typing. And he doesn't want to type names or his key into that website.

With the number of posts he wrote in this thread, typing is supposed to be a problem? For now the main reason he doesn't want to use his key is that he doesn't understand what api key is so the evil site will steal everything from him or something.

9 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Or maybe it's just someone wanting to "argue" for the sake of "arguing" in circles

Considering refusal to address what he quotes, quite possibly, but maybe that will change at some point. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/31/2023 at 11:22 AM, Fueki.4753 said:

Typing a name on that website apparently is too hard, when that person just wants to do no more than right click -> peek at player.

I can understand that, when there are weird names with Spanish or French accents or other special letters like the German ß. Those can be a bit difficult to type for people who don't know how to do those special letters and accents. But most character names are not like that.

I appreciate that you understand, and that is a very good point. Instances like this would be a good use of an inspect feature. No need to type, just right click a player and inspect them. Easy peasy!

• Confused 6

14 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I appreciate that you understand, and that is a very good point. Instances like this would be a good use of an inspect feature. No need to type, just right click a player and inspect them. Easy peasy!

Or you just accept your shortcomings when it comes to typing and move on without knowing what other players wear.

Easy, clean and no disrespectful peeking.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

We should be able to inspect gear and cosmetics. I don't understand the elitism argument, full exotic is just as good as full legendary and it only costs a few gold. If anything it's helpful, so many players out there are running the wrong stats for their builds with no one to guide them and they wonder why they can't kill anything.

There is so much in this game that most players don't even know exists. I played this game super casual early on and I didn't even know legendary accessories existed and wondered what those floating orbs were. I thought they were a gem store skin for a while. I just found out about legendary relics with the soto announcement. If I could've inspected gear I could have found out a long long time ago 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ramo.8916
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Or you just accept your shortcomings when it comes to typing and move on without knowing what other players wear.

Easy, clean and no disrespectful peeking.

I just don't see how inspecting is disrespectful. We can already physically see your character wearing gear, we just don't know what said gear is called. The name of gear isn't a secret, it's available in game already. An inspect feature would just connect the two things together, so people could see the game of pieces of gear. How does that disrespect anyone?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ramo.8916 said:

We should be able to inspect gear and cosmetics. I don't understand the elitism argument, full exotic is just as good as full legendary and it only costs a few gold. If anything it's helpful, so many players out there are running the wrong stats for their builds with no one to guide them and they wonder why they can't kill anything.

There is so much in this game that most players don't even know exists. I played this game super casual early on and I didn't even know legendary accessories existed and wondered what those floating orbs were. I thought they were a gem store skin for a while. I just found out about legendary relics with the soto announcement. If I could've inspected gear I could have found out a long long time ago 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand it either. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

bad idea people try to wear gear that works with their playstyle and their build and is fun. do you want to also see the traits they are running.? ill give you an example i gave my build  one time and they said it was bad glad it was my party. that same person got overwhelmed and dropped i went in that same chaotic mess and had no problem and i was stuck resing him  over and over again keep in mind i am getting hit while i am doing this. when i can solo the path we were doing.. so i do not deal with the head ace so will never tell people again. people are to obsessed with meta. when clearly there are better builds. so it is not  fair for ppl to get kicked because someone doesn't like the build they have. now being able to check cosmetic stuff would be fine. its a game should be having fun. not worrying about being kicked. if i have to res people so be it

Edited by trunks.5249
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I just don't see how inspecting is disrespectful.

If people want you to at least put in as little effort as asking them what they wear and that effort they want you to do is being bypassed by a menu option, it's actively disrespecting what said players want.

You can certainly rummage through the bank and search, but that at least is you putting effort in finding the skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

If people want you to at least put in as little effort as asking them what they wear and that effort they want you to do is being bypassed by a menu option, it's actively disrespecting what said players want.

You can certainly rummage through the bank and search, but that at least is you putting effort in finding the skin.

This is such a weird take.  What does effort have to do with anything? Would it make you happy if they added a mini puzzle you need to solve before inspecting people's gear? 

The only argument you can use is that players are shy and don't wanna be inspected. Just stick with that cause it's the only real argument against an inspect feature. 

What if they added a feature to make your gear "private" so players can choose if they can be inspected or not? Win win

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I'll put it this way, I would rather people just inspect my character to find out what I'm wearing, instead of whisper me "hey what gear is that?". If someone sees me standing in front of the black lion trader, just inspect me. I'd rather they get the information they need with as little effort on their end as possible, without having to rely on a 3rd party tool that makes them go outside the game. Inspecting me would be the fastest way they could find out what I'm wearing, then they move on with their lives within 3 seconds. 

I'm not opposed to them whispering to ask me why I'm wearing XYZ gear, etc, but I'm a fan of automating menial tasks. Let them find out what I wear on their own, and if they want more info, they can choose to whisper me or choose not to, their choice. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ramo.8916 said:

What if they added a feature to make your gear "private" so players can choose if they can be inspected or not? Win win

It'd be fine, if Arenanet created the peeking feature with explicitly having to opt into it and it's deactivated by default. But we all know that's not how Arenanet usually rolls, so hoping for such an implementation is not realistic.

And since that website already exists, there is not even a reason for Arenanet to introduce that feature. Resources should be spend on other things they have planned instead.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I'll put it this way, I would rather people just inspect my character to find out what I'm wearing, instead of whisper me "hey what gear is that?".

And clearly many other people would not. If you'd rather be inspected, use your API key and the site linked in this thread on the preivous pages.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And clearly many other people would not. If you'd rather be inspected, use your API key and the site linked in this thread on the preivous pages.

I appreciate that you are providing some form of a solution. I am sure that solution works great for some players, but that solution wouldn't work great for me and does not completely solve the issue for me personally. I'll just hold out for an Inspect feature myself, but other people are free to use any 3rd party site they wish. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1