How far does a player suggestion go?

This is a question on my mind a lot, because I'm one of many players who have a lot of ideas on... Well, everything. Obviously I don't have the experience in game balance, design, etc; as ANet (though I'd certainly love it. Game design is something I really love) or any of the fine folks there.

But a game company like ANet has a lot of concerns they have to consider, too. Things like sweeping class changes and the like, for example, might pose a risk if proposed by a player because they haven't signed certain documents, or they might feel entitled to compensation or some such nonsense-- Or at least, that's how I understand it.

But at the same time, I can't help but want to give my ideas out, consequence free, on things like making Tempest feel a little more modern and interactive, or new specializations or tweaks to old ones.

So, TL;DR: The question is, what can we suggest, and what's the best way to see our suggestions implemented if we feel so strongly about them? (Realistically, an idea isn't always good, but...)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Put it in the right place in the forum and hope it gets seen. There is no fast track way or better way. If you want to raise your chance make sure you don’t write a wall of text, keep it constructive, keep it concise and don’t adopt any aggressive tone towards the dev team. You can suggest what you like. Do bear in mind, the broader the suggestion, the more likely it has been suggested before though.

The devs likely read a lot of the posts and if they like something or it fits their current philosophy, well there’s always a chance six months to a year or more it might see light of day.

Anything suggested on the forum is free for them to use in game as they like. The Weaver is one such example of something make it into the game based on a well constructed forum player suggestion.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

Put it in the right place in the forum and hope it gets seen. There is no fast track way or better way. If you want to raise your chance make sure you don’t write a wall of text, keep it constructive, keep it concise and don’t adopt any aggressive tone towards the dev team.

The devs likely read a lot of the posts and if they like something or it fits their current philosophy, well there’s always a chance six months to a year or more it might see light of day.

This seems to be the standard, and I realize that not every post can get a response, but I worry a lot that my thoughts don't get through, or worse, that by posing them I prevent them from ever seeing the light of day again.

I'm probably being paranoid when it comes to game dev politics, but still.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, BenaSPACE.6028 said:

This seems to be the standard, and I realize that not every post can get a response, but I worry a lot that my thoughts don't get through, or worse, that by posing them I prevent them from ever seeing the light of day again.

I'm probably being paranoid when it comes to game dev politics, but still.

Posting your suggestion does not prevent them seeing light of day. The only thing it does is open them up to community discussion, which can shoot things down or refine them.

People have suggested letters to Anet in the past, but I remember it once being stated that they can’t always implement things suggested that way. So put your suggestion in the relevant subforum and then don’t worry about it. They’ll prob see it and then it’s down to the million other factors that we can’t see whether it goes beyond that.

Anet rarely respond to posts, suggestions or feedback - keep that in mind as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Posting your suggestion does not prevent them seeing light of day. The only thing it does is open them up to community discussion, which can shoot things down or refine them.

People have suggested letters to Anet in the past, but I remember it once being stated that they can’t always implement things suggested that way. So put your suggestion in the relevant subforum and then don’t worry about it. They’ll prob see it and then it’s down to the million other factors that we can’t see whether it goes beyond that.

Anet rarely respond to posts, suggestions or feedback - keep that in mind as well

Fair enough. Worst case scenario I just take these ideas and go start my own MMO, hahaha!

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, BenaSPACE.6028 said:

I don't think big changes I'd like to see are as likely to fit into one of the stickied threads, but it does give me a lot of relief to know they're heeding player feedback.

No, it doesn't have to fit into any specific thread.  If you have a suggestion, place it in the thread I linked as that one is the thread that we know that the devs watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Put it in the right place in the forum and hope it gets seen. There is no fast track way or better way. If you want to raise your chance make sure you don’t write a wall of text, keep it constructive, keep it concise and don’t adopt any aggressive tone towards the dev team. You can suggest what you like. Do bear in mind, the broader the suggestion, the more likely it has been suggested before though.

Anything suggested on the forum is free for them to use in game as they like. The Weaver is one such example of something make it into the game based on a well constructed forum player suggestion.

I feel this held true in the days of Heart of Thorns (the huge push for staff on thief leading to Daredevil) and Path of Fire (likewise the party that didn't get rifle on thief finally did with Deadeye), when they honestly listened to payer feedback and requests for what would be fun to play.

Nowadays?  Not so much.  It seems like like the forums and elsewhere are kept at least one ten-foot-pole away (and preferably two).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

i think anet just takes a look around the forums, and the ideas more proposed, the ones with more likes, etc, are the ones they implement their way, it would be much much better if they made streams with the devs, instead of art, making the devs play their main, and then have questions made in the chat of the stream answered by the devs as they play, let them explain why something is this or that way, let them read our questions and proposals out loud and answer what they think, it would be much more dinamic, clear, and it would give a sense of familiarity anet lacks with the comunity, the forums is more like writing in a wall and triing to not put any word too strong toget banned or reprimanded. 

Also it would probably end a lot of devates between players if anet just said, its this way because i want it that way, all of you stop.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, itspomf.9523 said:

I feel this held true in the days of Heart of Thorns (the huge push for staff on thief leading to Daredevil) and Path of Fire (likewise the party that didn't get rifle on thief finally did with Deadeye), when they honestly listened to payer feedback and requests for what would be fun to play.

Nowadays?  Not so much.  It seems like like the forums and elsewhere are kept at least one ten-foot-pole away (and preferably two).

we needed years to get gs revenant, and we got Vindicator... i mean its good but.... its vindicator.... rev needs a mecanic rework to feel realy good. all we can do, post and post again the same ideas, to try and see if they notice XD.

Not that they answer anyway so..

21 hours ago, BenaSPACE.6028 said:

Don't worry about your suggestions not getting through.

99% of suggestions are being ignored anyway, so it's a waste of energy to worry about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

We have been told that the devs actively follow the stickied Suggestions thread

I'm curious, when did they say that?

I always felt that was the suggestion graveyard, where ideas are moved to die. People argue about pros and cons, for/against specific ideas on their own thread ; whereas once its merged its forgotten

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

I always felt that was the suggestion graveyard, where ideas are moved to die. People argue about pros and cons, for/against specific ideas on their own thread ; whereas once its merged its forgotten

Pretty sure the posts (twice, I believe) are in the aforementioned thread. 

2 hours ago, Taclism.2406 said:

That’s a community propagated myth. Merging threads and then stickying them gives them a one stop point they can follow much easier with notifications than browsing twenty/thirty threads a day.

The stickied thread is good for suggestions, but again, don’t write walls of text

Having said that, don’t be out off using the main subforums. A good idea will get noticed if it hasn’t been suggested before and is relevant to the subforum in question and community discussion can often refine them. The sticky isn’t for discussion, just suggestion. If you have an idea for the Tempest, it is better in the Tempest subforum for example

• Like 1

I think it's safest to assume that making a suggestion as a player is kind of like dropping a coin in a wishing well. Maybe there's a possibility if you say the wish really loudly, someone nearby who can do something about it and wants to do something about it will listen, but for the most part, you're just doing it for a feeling.

There are game developers who listen to players on a more consistent basis and I believe they are far more likely to be found in very small operations where having a strong relationship with their customers is vital, but this kind of game? Nah. You or I leave and they can just attribute it to turnover, they don't have to take it seriously. 1k players leave at roughly the same time voicing the same concerns? Then they maybe have to take it into consideration at least, but that kind of thing is rare.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1