If there is a goal to nurture a competitive PvE scene, templates need to be demonetized

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

That's not a dichotomy...

There are people who are competitive in other games who could consider trying this one if the game is made better for it and anet seems to be trying at least a little to nurture a competitive PvE scene. New to this game doesn't have to mean they are born yesterday and gonna take months to reach level 80. They can also be someone with a lot of knowledge of MMO systems who is going to be looking to jump into the competitive scene as soon as they can, which is the picture of what kind of player I'm thinking of that they seem to be trying to make some effort to attract. Maybe I'm wrong they care at all in that way, or maybe I'm misunderstanding how that demographic works, but that's along the lines of what I'm thinking of. I'm not thinking of a person who tepidly engages with the game and eventually starts engaging with end-game PvE content after a number of years of getting most things they want in the game and knows how to farm gold efficiently and is now more comfortable with the idea of converting some gold to gems for templates.

Since when? What does being a whale have to do with being a top competitive player, unless the game is full-throated P2W?

BDO is still making money as terrible of a game that it is. Whale VS Whale. Most Korean MMOs are like that, especially. It's just the thing MMO developers often enjoy in their monetization. Anet tries to avoid such corruption far more than most games but somethings gotta seep in eventually. Trying to push any red flags back while you can is the right move though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

There are people who are competitive in other games who could consider trying this one if the game is made better for it and anet seems to be trying at least a little to nurture a competitive PvE scene. New to this game doesn't have to mean they are born yesterday and gonna take months to reach level 80. They can also be someone with a lot of knowledge of MMO systems who is going to be looking to jump into the competitive scene as soon as they can, which is the picture of what kind of player I'm thinking of that they seem to be trying to make some effort to attract. Maybe I'm wrong they care at all in that way, or maybe I'm misunderstanding how that demographic works, but that's along the lines of what I'm thinking of. I'm not thinking of a person who tepidly engages with the game and eventually starts engaging with end-game PvE content after a number of years of getting most things they want in the game and knows how to farm gold efficiently and is now more comfortable with the idea of converting some gold to gems for templates.

Those players still need to learn the game, still have no builds which they'll need to farm/learn and still don't need to juggle build templates to play how they want to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1