Competing Staff traits on the same line

Ariurotl.3718

Let me preface this by stating that I'm almost exclusively an open world player. I do some T1 fractals from time to time but that's about it. I don't chase meta builds, I just play what feels good to me. This is just a general expression of annoyance. Got it? Confused emojis at the ready? Let's get this over with.

I hate that Chaotic Transference and Chaotic Potency in the Chaos traitline compete with each other. They are the only two traits that directly affect Staff and I'd love to use them both. Moreover, I honestly couldn't give much of a toss about pretty much everything else in that traitline. I run Bountiful Disillusionment as the GM trait because some stability and boons is always nice but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for either CT or CP if they were moved to GM. I'd also take either of them over any of the Adept traits.

I have to pick CP because of the overall Staff boost but man, CT would work so well with my build that takes advantage of all the boosts to Regeneration available to Mesmer. It honestly just annoys me SO MUCH that I have to choose between the two. Especially when I look at, say, Necro which has its two Axe-skill-related traits at different tiers within the same line not competing with one another in any way.

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest. You can go back to arguing about meta stuff now. Thank you for reading.

P.S. Oh yeah, and Auspicious Anguish which is the THIRD Master trait competing with those two? I'd take that over the current Adept and GM traits as well! I run a bunch of traited signets, I've got enough Distortion to start a Distortion shop! But that's by the by.

Edited by Ariurotl.3718
  • Like 1

@Ariurotl.3718  Show us your build.   I tend to think the choice is fairly easy with most PvE builds. 

Go get Jade Tech Defensive Overcharge and spec into Chaotic Potency.

Chaotic Transference doesn’t matter with Jade Tech Defensive Overcharge in the game.  Opening Solo combat with 30 seconds of Regen and 10 seconds of Protection is far better than 5 seconds regen every 15 seconds, if you can trigger it yourself.   In group and instanced content you can anticipate having both boons up all the time from support specs. 

Anytime you ‘need’ a boon for an OW build just look at the Jade Tech Offensive and Defensive Protocols.  

• Confused 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, Ariurotl.3718 said:

Let me preface this by stating that I'm almost exclusively an open world player. I do some T1 fractals from time to time but that's about it. I don't chase meta builds, I just play what feels good to me. This is just a general expression of annoyance. Got it? Confused emojis at the ready? Let's get this over with.

I hate that Chaotic Transference and Chaotic Potency in the Chaos traitline compete with each other. They are the only two traits that directly affect Staff and I'd love to use them both. Moreover, I honestly couldn't give much of a toss about pretty much everything else in that traitline. I run Bountiful Disillusionment as the GM trait because some stability and boons is always nice but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for either CT or CP if they were moved to GM. I'd also take either of them over any of the Adept traits.

I feel your pain, Mesmer traitlines behave vastly differently to most other classes (Ranger has a similar problem). Almost all the traitlines do compete for each other outside Inspiration. Another issues is that some of traits either useless like stealth bonuses for PvE or outright OP like dodges creating clones for Mirage.

The best way to craft a build for Mesmer is to Focus 80% of your attention on the Elite Specialization Traitline and the last 20% on what can benefit that. This is exactly why Chaos gets used for Mirage in group PvE content since the focus is on maximizing Condition damage.

• Confused 2

On 8/15/2022 at 2:25 AM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@Ariurotl.3718  Show us your build.   I tend to think the choice is fairly easy with most PvE builds. 

Go get Jade Tech Defensive Overcharge .......

"Jade Tech Defensive Overcharge

Stacking Duration

Max duration: 2h15m"

Huh  😄

I never bothered with those because of the 15 minute duration.......and now I find out it stacks...WTH!?  😄 

Learn something new every day   o.O 

Edited by Milar.4930